Touring without cooking equipment?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
horizon

Re: Touring without cooking equipment?

Post by horizon »

simonhill wrote:The consensus seems to be to take it.

However, as this is your first tour, why not break the mould and NOT take it. You are only away for 10 days or so, so why not see how you get on.

And report back!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

It doesn't really sound as if you're particularly attached to the idea of a morning brew or ability to make hot food. i wouldn't bother taking a stove in that case.

You'll be carrying a stove, fuel, pot and enough water to cook with (the last if you're wild camping) plus the food to cook. This can be a lot of extra bulk and weight, plus cooking/washing time.

If you leave the stove you can buy hot food, or just carry stuff like bread, cheese, ham, nuts, chocolate, biscuits etc to eat cold. That's what I normally do, and sometimes treat myself to some kind of hot meal.

I go to hilly places and quite often rough tracks so weight is more of an issue than on flat tarmac. Somehow I find that I've always got bloody loads of stuff so cooking gear and associated food and water is just too much extra, but that's just me, of course. Why don't you do a long weekend trip here in the UK to see if you feel like you need a stove?
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Wild camping is not only illegal in the Netherlands but also pretty hard. This is a densely populated country.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Assuming you don't take cooking gear take a sharp knife. Useful for picnics. Think about whether you want a fork and spoon too for yoghurts, salads etc.
Winged wheels

Post by Winged wheels »

I always take a mini Triangia to brew Oolong tea. It is always restorative and improves pre cooked or raw foods. Esbit solid fuel stove was my old kit but I found Hex blocks no longer seemed to be hot enough.
The need to cook is purely personal.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

MrsHJ wrote:Assuming you don't take cooking gear take a sharp knife. Useful for picnics. Think about whether you want a fork and spoon too for yoghurts, salads etc.

Be careful with sharp knives, ferry security might not like the idea! There is a small but sharp blade in my Leatherman micro - no one has ever opened it so it's a stealth blade! Of course you can just as easily buy a cheap kitchen knife once you get there if you want something bigger.

If you are going super light without a stove take a spork rather than separate fork/spoon/knife Decathlon do a cheap plastic one, for about fifteen notes you can get a nice aircraft aluminium one that's a bit easier to eat with.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Unless you're incredibly space-constrained, I don't see the point of sporks. I'd just stick some proper camping cutlery in - I use this Alpkit titanium set :https://www.alpkit.com/products/timigos

Yes, it might weigh as much as 15g more than a titanium spork, but it's far more versatile and comfortable to use.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I've ditched my metal cutlery and just have plastic now. It saves weight but it was mainly to do with potential damage to the pans.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

horizon wrote:I've ditched my metal cutlery and just have plastic now. It saves weight but it was mainly to do with potential damage to the pans.

Many years ago I replaced my aluminium nesting Billies,(that appeared to have been through a world conflict!) with a stainless set.

The steel ones have been incredibly durable still almost dent free, are totally intact and in spite of being used a good deal on wood and heather (now that is tarry!) still come up almost like new when cleaned with fine abrasive sand on some delightful beach.
They are only a tad heavier than alu ones but are a delight in all regards.
One of my all time best purchases.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

JakobW wrote:Unless you're incredibly space-constrained, I don't see the point of sporks. I'd just stick some proper camping cutlery in - I use this Alpkit titanium set :https://www.alpkit.com/products/timigos

Yes, it might weigh as much as 15g more than a titanium spork, but it's far more versatile and comfortable to use.

Don't own one myself, my 'lighter than Ti' Sea to Summit Alpha al set (22g for all three items) are a fixture in my cooking box. Can't stand the things myself but some get on okay with just a single piece of cutlery.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

You mean I'm the only one using a Pedros tyre lever as cutlery????... :D
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
ossie

Post by ossie »

I've set up camp on numerous occasions, walked into town and found nothing food wise. This can happen in the height of the summer in a French coastal town or halfway down the Rhine

I always take a stove. I like a hot meal at the end of the day and don't want to worry about finding it. I also like a brew in the morning so the weight gain is worth it in my opinion. It takes away a headache and adds to the self sufficient aspect I like about touring.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I used to take a small stove for coffee. Jetboil was easily the best for this purpose, though I had smaller as well. In fact I started collecting stoves and must have about 12.
Anyway I started drinking just water during the day. I've not camped but I've been through some pretty desolate country in my time and I ALWAYS carry some spare rations, like 3 or four tins of fish (which I love) etc. I'll also buy some cheese or cold meat in the morning somewhere and have them during the day. I've been on a lowcarb diet, keeping my weight down since New Years Day 2014, so my diet's simple.
peterdpusey

Post by peterdpusey »

I did Eurovelo 6 across Europe to Budapest (approx 2k miles) not cooking meant I was normally the first away from the campsite in the morning and figured that in 20 miles or a couple of hours I would always turn up somewhere for breakfast - found some wonderful spots to eat and it was definitely part of the trip.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

iandriver wrote:You mean I'm the only one using a Pedros tyre lever as cutlery????... :D

Excellent! That's better than my approach. I used to be quite bad about using my cutlery at home to change tyres so whenever cutlery with a strange kink in the handle comes out of the drawer I get steely glares from the rest of the family.

On the subject asked I was rereading some crazy guy blogs last night and lots of transam people do 4500 miles with no cooking equipment for the trip which takes 80 days or so.