Touring without cooking equipment?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Qwerky

Touring without cooking equipment?

Post by Qwerky »

I'm in the early stages of planning a ride up the Netherlands coast on the EuroVelo 12 route, probably starting at Dunkirk as that's the nearest ferry. The Dutch LF1 and LF10 routes cover it nicely.

I cycle a lot but its all commuting and longer rides at the weekend; I've never done any touring. I have had several camping holidays in the Netherlands though and even cycled part of the LF1 route, but we've driven over there in the car and had all our gear. Camping and cycling combined is new to me. My thoughts are that for the 8-10 days I'll be away I can get away without a stove or doing any cooking. I'm happy to live out of supermarkets and cafes and I'm confident that the Netherlands is densely populated enough that I won't ever have to go too far our of my way.

Is this a crazy idea? What are the downsides and risks that I might not have considered. I realise that I might have to make some small detours and that I'll probably spend a bit more money, but I'm balancing this against travelling lighter and being quicker/more efficient with my camping routine.
MrsHJ

Re: Touring without cooking equipment?

Post by MrsHJ »

It's fine. Lots of people do that. My son insisted in eating pizza every day in the Netherlands so my stove got very little use. I never use the stove at breakfast time anyway. I don't think there are any risks-the Netherlands is probably more civilised than the uk so they will take care of any cooked breakfast withdrawal systems-just take your EHIC card. X
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

I’ve hardly done any cycle touring but I walk and camp sometimes. I never cook when camping. Breakfast is the only meal I eat in the tent and that will typically be croissants or similar with a cold coffee drink - unless the campsite has cooking facilities.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Will the campsites you use have any cooking facilities? Sorry I don't know about NL, but plenty of sites across the world do.

If there is a microwave, then you can buy ready meals in supermarkets like Lidl and Aldi. I did this a lot on a recent trip across France, albeit I was staying in cheap hotels that all had microwaves.

Regardless of the microwaves, I am sure you can eat well buying your food from supermarkets. Odf course, there's always chips with mayonnaise to fall back on.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

NL vocab
Ontbijt = breakfast
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

It is fine. Years ago I carried a bulky Trangia but found I seldom cooked, only heated a mug of tea, so reduced it to a very compact gas stove. Some years (this year was one) I went with no cooking kit at all. I tour primarily in France and eating out of boulangeries, supermarkets and the occasional workman's lunch was just fine. Not a cheap option, but probably not to different to cooking.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Plenty of places to eat in the Netherlands. If you want breakfast you can go to a Albert Heijnand and some other supermarkets and buy a pastry and they have free coffee for people to drink whilst they shop. However don't bank in it as I think it might be dying out.
Avoid the Karnemelk it's like drinking sour milk and is disgusting.
Beer is cheap from supermarkets but not from bars.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

whoof wrote:Plenty of places to eat in the Netherlands. If you want breakfast you can go to a Albert Heijnand and some other supermarkets and buy a pastry and they have free coffee for people to drink whilst they shop. However don't bank in it as I think it might be dying out.

Actually, we all rather like the karnemelk and only one of us is a Cloggie. I prefer AH but if you shop at Jumbo you'll boost your cycling credentials! (that's the Jumbo in Team Lotto NL Jumbo)

Even if you don't take a stove, living off appeltaart and coffee to some degree is practically compulsory, with plenty of cafes to provide it. Broodje haring also highly recommended!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
whoof

Post by whoof »

pjclinch wrote:
whoof wrote:Plenty of places to eat in the Netherlands. If you want breakfast you can go to a Albert Heijnand and some other supermarkets and buy a pastry and they have free coffee for people to drink whilst they shop. However don't bank in it as I think it might be dying out.

Broodje haring also highly recommended!

Broodje haring is also disgusting. Raw herring washed down with sour milk, the Dutch really know how to live.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Oddly I find that events conspire and you find yourself arriving late and starving (due to that puncture) at your campsite and the bloke who runs the cafe had to go early and the last eaterie was 10 miles back etc etc. It's unlikely in Holland but I do really appreciate having the stove and a few provisions with me, just in case. And then of course, you might just want to leave later in the morning and fancied a coffee before you set off. . .

Eating out can be pricey but food from bakeries and takeaways is absurdly cheap. Maybe the USP for me is the ability to make a pot of tea. So my vote? I take the stove, I wouldn't like to be without it but I think for other people it makes sense not to.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I always take a small and compact gas stove kettle and mug along with coffee and an emergency dried meal. As Horizon has said I have been caught out - Sunday non Opening - desire for an early/late coffee. A basic kit doesn't need to add much bulk but I find it invaluable.

Generally I don't cook meals when i'm camping but it's good to have the option to boil water. I have cold/dry breakfast so I can buy that en route and evening meals may be a supermarket salad or a bar/ restaurant meal. Bigger campsites will often have a restaurant that may even offer breakfast. It is quite common for sites to have a campers kitchen which will generally have a kettle but beyond that it could be just a prep area or a full blown kitchen with stoves, microwaves, fridges. You might even be lucky enough to get some free supplies left by other campers.

Having cooked full meals whilst camping in the past I have the t shirt and now only do it in extremis. Going by ferry you can take your gas with you so it's very straightforward and easy to have that little bit of extra independence.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

You can do it as you will not be out in the wilderness. However what will you gain and what will you lose? Financially you will have earned back your investment in e.g. a Trangia 27 already half way into your trip. I also think having a stove is more convenient. You do not have to leave the campsite to find a restaurant in a nearby village etc. And you can have tea and coffee in the morning.
What is the downside? 1 kg or so of extra luggage and some weight for the food itself. I have no problems fitting everything in just two rear panniers. In summer that means a 33 litre set of Altura Arc 15s, in Autumn and Spring a set of 40 litre Ortlieb back rollers.
By the way, unlike in Scandinavia few campsites in the Netherlands will have a kitchen.
PH

Post by PH »

Do you enjoy camp cooking? If so, why deprive yourself for the sake of a little weight and bulk? If not, why bother?
I have both a Trangia and a Jetboil, if I'm on the sort of tour where I'm spending a lot of time camping and in company I'll take the Trangia. On my own I'll usually take the Jetboil, which sometimes gets used for hot drinks in the day as well as while camping. Occasionally, I don't take anything, though last time I did this I regretted it when a hot drink at the end of a very wet day would have been welcome.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The consensus seems to be to take it.

However, as this is your first tour, why not break the mould and NOT take it. You are only away for 10 days or so, so why not see how you get on. You are already doubting its worth, so go for it (or rather go without it).

People say not much bulk, but stove, pan, mug, makings - the basic for a cup of tea or coffee all add up.

Be bold.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Not a problem in somewhere like the Netherlands, but I have been caught in Northern France on Monday expecting to eat in Café and they are all shut, fortunately we were able to find a Chip van further down the road. Where ever you are, particularly in rural areas, you just need to ensure you shop/ find somewhere to eat, before it all closes, and have something in your pack in case you arrive late at a destination.
NUKe