Parish Churches

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jon Lucas

Re: Parish Churches

Post by Jon Lucas »

Mick F wrote:Oh, here's a few facts regarding my journeys so far.

Been to:

Furthest east Cornish parish church, is St Andrew's, Calstock.
Furthest north St John the Baptist, Morewenstow.
Furthest south St Winwallow, Lendewednack. Also the furthest south parish church on the mainland of UK.

Yet to do the furthest west in Cornwall. Maybe in the next week or three.

Will you be including those on the Scilly Isles?

This is great stuff Mick. I've cycled past both those at Morwenstow and Landewednack. The coast at Morwentstow is fantastic, and is best known for the wonderfully eccentric Reverend Hawker, who sat in a cleft in the cliffs smoking opium and watching for shipwrecks. Landewednack's church lies on the road down to Church Cove, which is just as lovely.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, the places I've been eh?
Wonderfully beautiful. :D

Isles of Scilly is difficult as the Scillonian ferry is £28.00 return to take a bike and it gets loaded into a container with other stuff.
I have a bike box that'll take a road bike, and easily takes Moulton, so I would use that.

Apart from getting a bike to St Mary's Hugh Town, I would then have to hop on other ferries to do the other parishes on the other islands.

Meanwhile, it's £57.50 minimum per person single. They don't do period returns. Prices vary with season of course.

Just say me and Mrs Mick F went there for a few days.
Drive down and park long stay - dunno the cost as yet.
£230.00 return plus £28.00 = £258.00 just to get there and back ........................ plus internal ferries to Tresco, St Martin's, St Agnes, and Bryher ......................... plus accommodation for four or five days ..................... plus parking at Penzance.

At a guess, we wouldn't get much change from a grand.

https://www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk/fares/
Mick F. Cornwall
armadillo

Post by armadillo »

Surely your mission was to visit every parish church in Cornwall. Are The Isles of Scilly not a separate entity? (Or are they considered to be part of Cornwall?)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The Isles of Scilly are not in Cornwall and not in England either though the administrative area was Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, but they have a separate government system now.

The county of Cornwall is bordered by the sea, and by Devon.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

armadillo wrote:Surely your mission was to visit every parish church in Cornwall. Are The Isles of Scilly not a separate entity? (Or are they considered to be part of Cornwall?)

Mick F wrote:The Isles of Scilly are not in Cornwall and not in England either though the administrative area was Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, but they have a separate government system now.
The county of Cornwall is bordered by the sea, and by Devon.

Part of England. Separate local authority. Part of the "ceremonial county" of Cornwall.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isles_of_Scilly

Jonathan
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Mick F wrote:Yes, the places I've been eh?
Wonderfully beautiful. :D

Isles of Scilly is difficult as the Scillonian ferry is £28.00 return to take a bike and it gets loaded into a container with other stuff.
I have a bike box that'll take a road bike, and easily takes Moulton, so I would use that.

Apart from getting a bike to St Mary's Hugh Town, I would then have to hop on other ferries to do the other parishes on the other islands.

Meanwhile, it's £57.50 minimum per person single. They don't do period returns. Prices vary with season of course.

Just say me and Mrs Mick F went there for a few days.
Drive down and park long stay - dunno the cost as yet.
£230.00 return plus £28.00 = £258.00 just to get there and back ........................ plus internal ferries to Tresco, St Martin's, St Agnes, and Bryher ......................... plus accommodation for four or five days ..................... plus parking at Penzance.

At a guess, we wouldn't get much change from a grand.

https://www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk/fares/

You can camp at camp sites, which cuts down the cost a bit. We've camped on Bryher, which was wonderful, though a bit windy when we were there. You can also wade across the channel from Bryher to Tresco, so that it is one less ferry fare. :)

Our ferry from St Martin back to St Mary's grounded on a sandbank halfway across, and we all had to gather at the front of the boat for several minutes before it freed itself. We couldn't have done that in these days of social distancing...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Camping?
:roll:
Certainly not. :shock:

The Isles of Scilly are NOT in England or Cornwall and have never been.
Same as the Outer Hebrides or the Shetland Isles or the Orkneys (for instance) are not in Scotland. They may be Scottish, but not in Scotland.

The Isles of Scilly are British and share some administrative stuff with Cornwall.

Talk to the people from Shetland and ask them if they're Scottish, and talk to the people from the Isles of Silly and ask them if they're English or even Cornish.
You may as well ask similar questions of people from Guernsey or Jersey ............ or even the Isle of Man.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote:The Isles of Scilly are NOT in England or Cornwall and have never been.
Same as the Outer Hebrides or the Shetland Isles or the Orkneys (for instance) are not in Scotland. They may be Scottish, but not in Scotland.

The Isles of Scilly are British and share some administrative stuff with Cornwall.

Talk to the people from Shetland and ask them if they're Scottish, and talk to the people from the Isles of Silly and ask them if they're English or even Cornish.
You may as well ask similar questions of people from Guernsey or Jersey ............ or even the Isle of Man.

Completely different from Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man, which have separate political status.

Those northern islands are part of Scotland. The Isles of Scilly are part of England.

But I hadn't realised that I'd entered some strange keyboard pedantry game, playing on "part of" and "in".

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
Go on, ask the people of Shetland if they're Scottish or not.

Ask the people of the Isles of Scilly if they're English - or God forbid - Cornish or not.

Two facts here.
One, I ain't gonna spend loadsa dosh to cycle to parish churches in the Isles of Scilly,
and
Two, the Isles of Scilly aren't in Cornwall.
Mick F. Cornwall
Syd

Post by Syd »

Mick F wrote:[emoji38] [emoji38]
Go on, ask the people of Shetland if they're Scottish or not.

Ask the people of the Isles of Scilly if they're English - or God forbid - Cornish or not.

Two facts here.
One, I ain't gonna spend loadsa dosh to cycle to parish churches in the Isles of Scilly,
and
Two, the Isles of Scilly aren't in Cornwall.
I work with two people born and brought up in Shetland. They consider themselves Scottish.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe there is a cheap way to get to Scilly, on a charter or day trip
Or is it a place for a Better Cla$$ of Peopl€? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, clever keyboard diversion to "What do the people consider themselves to be?" from what they are.

The analogy with Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Man is simply misleading. All of those are outside the United Kingdom, and have separate representation and legislation. The Isles of Scilly and those northern islands are part of the United Kingdom and have neither.

The Isles of Scilly have a local authority and representation at Westminster (with an MP shared with part of Cornwall) and are subject to the law of England.

Let's test that:

Mick F wrote:The Isles of Scilly are not in Cornwall and not in England either though the administrative area was Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, but they have a separate government system now.

What's that current "separate government system" that isn't part of England?

Jonathan
armadillo

Post by armadillo »

I think the main point is that Mick just needs to complete his visits to mainland Cornish churches only to complete his mission. (Maybe visiting all the island churches of the British Isles could be his next challenge. :D )
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

armadillo wrote:I think the main point is that Mick just needs to complete his visits to mainland Cornish churches only to complete his mission. (Maybe visiting all the island churches of the British Isles could be his next challenge. :D )

Maybe forum members can club together to buy him a pedalo. :D
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

If Mick is to extend his church visiting brief he is going to need an ebike.
John