Parish Churches

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
rjb

Re: Parish Churches

Post by rjb »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Big airports have chapels

How are the religious needs of sailors at sea dealt with, do ships have chapels on board?

and hospitals, older large houses, castles etc often had chapels..... the list could almost be endless, but one could make some interesting discoveries.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

"The Church of England is the conservative party at prayer"
Is that still true?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
rjb

Post by rjb »

Cyril Haearn wrote:"The Church of England is the conservative party at prayer"
Is that still true?

is that high church or low church :?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

The quote about the Tory party at prayer comes from 1917, and was originally a warning about how the CofE needed to represent the whole country. I suspect in the later 20th century it was only ever a partial truth (though interestingly CofE worshippers are AIUI still slightly more likely to vote Conservative; RC worshippers more likely to vote Labour). Also, AIUI CofE clergy are as a whole more left-wing than average, and have been since the 80s at least (the influence of social justice/liberation theology, or just being on the front lines of many of their communities?).
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Brentor is High Church?

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

St Michael de Rupe.
St Michael of the Rock.
http://www.brentorvillage.org/?page_id=131

The church is known as Brentor Church, but it's Brentor villages' church up on the top of Brent Tor.
(North and South Brentor villages, so plural)

Not been up there for years, not since we had young children and dogs! One of the last times we were up there was when Daughter 1 was doing her O Levels and did a project about the church.

I always said that I wanted to have my funeral up there, and unless you carried my coffin, you wouldn't get a penny from my fortune. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

How are the religious needs of sailors at sea dealt with, do ships have chapels on board?

I can't recall any chapels on the ships I've worked on although the majority have had a bar of some sort, which keeps most of the incumbents happy!!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

SimonCelsa wrote:

I can't recall any chapels on the ships I've worked on although the majority have had a bar of some sort, which keeps most of the incumbents happy!!

Chaplains (often known simply as "the Bish) do not hold a rank or rate in the Royal Navy, they are the equivalent whoever they are speaking to. They also held the same basic skills. Royal Marine Chaplains all held a Green Beret and all Submariners had learned their "Dolphins"

I used to know a Naval Chaplain who reckoned most of his work was done in the bar, or over a pint or two!

He was able to observe, recognise individuals with problems, and often nip them in the bud before they became an issue.

Naval Chaplains (
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No rank in the RN, but have the privileges of a Lieutenant Commander.
Mick F. Cornwall
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Cunobelin wrote:Brentor is High Church?

All right, it's not a church but rather a hermit's chapel (and a rather derelict one at that), but I think Roche Rock is more striking

Also the scene for the finale of OMEN III :twisted: so you can be a film buff at the same time
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Cunobelin wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:Photos or it didn't happen!

Seriously though I am an atheist but love church photos-there's more variety than we often realise. And it's often so worthwhile going inside for more history. Selfies are optional though. As a south westerner I also have lots of rellies buried at places like mevagissey, carbis bay and Falmouth.

I was in Southwark Cathedral. Like many you require a Photo Permit, I have no problem with that as it helps pay for upkeep.

However there was a couple asking photos all over the place, and were challenged. Their argument was that they were taking "Selfies" which didn't count as photographs because teh Cathedral was merely in the background and not the main feature!

They were adamant

Wow. However, this is Cornwall, just over the border from us. I'm guessing photos aren't going to be a cost issue. I was expecting (requiring?!) a single photo from outside of each.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

MrsHJ wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:Photos or it didn't happen!

Seriously though I am an atheist but love church photos-there's more variety than we often realise. And it's often so worthwhile going inside for more history. Selfies are optional though. As a south westerner I also have lots of rellies buried at places like mevagissey, carbis bay and Falmouth.

I was in Southwark Cathedral. Like many you require a Photo Permit, I have no problem with that as it helps pay for upkeep.

However there was a couple asking photos all over the place, and were challenged. Their argument was that they were taking "Selfies" which didn't count as photographs because teh Cathedral was merely in the background and not the main feature!

They were adamant

Wow. However, this is Cornwall, just over the border from us. I'm guessing photos aren't going to be a cost issue. I was expecting (requiring?!) a single photo from outside of each.

That's a very heavy handed approach by Southwark. (surely a church is the province of god and as such the property of all believers so any charge is going against general tenet?) Many places require a 'licence' for commercial and flash photography but the average Joe can take pics for free. I have, under duress, paid for a photo licence a few times but on general principal I won't.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

If you're there to pray/worship, then any cathedral will let you in for free. If you're there as a tourist to take pictures, don't be a cheapskate and pony up for the photo licence (do any of the cathedrals that charge entry ask for a photo license on top?); the building will be costing millions a year to maintain.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

foxyrider wrote:
MrsHJ wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

They were adamant

That's a very heavy handed approach by Southwark. (surely a church is the province of god and as such the property of all believers so any charge is going against general tenet?) Many places require a 'licence' for commercial and flash photography but the average Joe can take pics for free. I have, under duress, paid for a photo licence a few times but on general principal I won't.

I always make a donation towards upkeep and if there is a photo permit then that counts as the donation

The most dishonest one for me was the magnificent NIdaros Cathedral in Trondheim....

I enquired about photos in the information centre and was told that there was no problem.

So I spent about 5 or 6 hours taking photographs, and exploring

As I was about to leave I stood in the centre of the aisle to take a picture of the massive (church) organ and window.

One of the staff came up and asked me to stop as photographs weren't allowed

Aploogised and explained that I had enquired at the information centre and been told I could.

"Have you taken many?" asked the staff

Not really - just a few I lied thinking of teh several hundred on the SD card.

"That's OK" said teh staff and I put the camera away
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:Thread drift? :lol: :lol:

Thrad glide, more like!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.