Parish Churches

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Parish Churches

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote::lol: :lol:
Go on, ask the people of Shetland if they're Scottish or not.

Ask the people of the Isles of Scilly if they're English - or God forbid - Cornish or not.

Two facts here.
One, I ain't gonna spend loadsa dosh to cycle to parish churches in the Isles of Scilly,
and
Two, the Isles of Scilly aren't in Cornwall.

So there........you heard it here.....you've been told :( :? :lol: :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:Two, the Isles of Scilly aren't in Cornwall.

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:So there........you heard it here.....you've been told :( :? :lol: :mrgreen:

Here's a little addition to this.

The Truro Diocese website is down at the moment.
https://trurodiocese.org.uk/directory-live/
But the Wiki one is fine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diocese_o ... Wivelshire

The strange thing about the parishes in the Truro (capital city of Cornwall) diocese they have a couple of parishes in Devon! :shock:
No, I'm not going to them specifically. They are Virginstow and St Giles-on-the-Heath.
Actually, I've been through both of them on a number of occasions out on rides, so it could be considered that I've done them anyway.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Vir ... d-4.293734
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/St+ ... -4.3261269
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

armadillo wrote:"...the album became a little boring."
But just think how useful it could have been to get rid of guests who out-stayed their welcome! :D
("And now as a special treat I have prepared a slide show of all 226 Cornish parish churches...")

Do you still call it a slide show if they are digital pics?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Do you still call it a slide show if they are digital pics?
As do many digital sources, eg Flickr - see below...
Slideshow option in Flickr's Album view...
Slideshow option in Flickr's Album view...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The strange thing about the parishes in the Truro (capital city of Cornwall) diocese they have a couple of parishes in Devon!
I don't think it follows that church parish boundaries necessarily follow county boundaries. For example, I support schools (IT-related) located in the unitary authority of South Glos.. Most of the schools have Bristol postcodes, but one or two have a Swindon postcode, even though they are within the boundary of South Glos.. Things get even stranger when it comes to Diocese education trusts, for example we support schools that belong to the Diocese of Bristol trust that are geographically located in Wiltshire - go figure...
My mum & dad used to live in Botley, nowadays a suburb of Oxford. It used to be in Berkshire...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Mick F wrote:
Mick F wrote:Two, the Isles of Scilly aren't in Cornwall.

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:So there........you heard it here.....you've been told :( :? :lol: :mrgreen:

Here's a little addition to this.

The Truro Diocese website is down at the moment.
https://trurodiocese.org.uk/directory-live/
But the Wiki one is fine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diocese_o ... Wivelshire

The strange thing about the parishes in the Truro (capital city of Cornwall) diocese they have a couple of parishes in Devon! :shock:
No, I'm not going to them specifically. They are Virginstow and St Giles-on-the-Heath.
Actually, I've been through both of them on a number of occasions out on rides, so it could be considered that I've done them anyway.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Vir ... d-4.293734
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/St+ ... -4.3261269

Both Virginstow and St Giles in the Heath used to be in Cornwall. Virginstow wasn't transferred to Devon until 1936, and St Giles probably at the same time.

Many people think of county boundaries as being unmoveable, and get very het up about preserving 'their counties', but if they looked into the recent history they will find most counties have changed considerably over time, even Cornwall! As Launceston is the closest town to both those parishes, it may well make sense for them to move back again.

(ducks head and waits for lots of irate comments from our Cornish and Devonian members :D )
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I think you'll find that the Cornish border hasn't moved for hundreds of years.
The salient? of the English incursion was a gift to someone or other up in the Bridgerule area.
My mate - since had a stroke and lost of much his historical information coz he was a whizz at all this - would have told me the facts.
The area used to be in Cornwall until the 12th? century as the border followed the River Tamar, but now England comes in across it.

Residents have been asked on many occasions if they'd like to be part of Cornwall, but they have consistently voted No.

Virginstow and St Giles have nothing to do with that as they are south of the incursion.
I fancy a ride this week. Mercian this time instead of Moulton, and I'll do both those parish churches.

One of my "tasks" a few years back, was to ride over all the bridges over the River Tamar.
Twenty-three in all, and done them.
Maybe I might do them all again! :D

If you go north from Whitstone to Red Post, you cross into England and back into Cornwall, but historically, you would still be in Cornwall ........ but history is a long time ago.
Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 17.04.37.png
Mick F. Cornwall
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

simonineaston wrote:
The strange thing about the parishes in the Truro (capital city of Cornwall) diocese they have a couple of parishes in Devon!
I don't think it follows that church parish boundaries necessarily follow county boundaries. For example, I support schools (IT-related) located in the unitary authority of South Glos.. Most of the schools have Bristol postcodes, but one or two have a Swindon postcode, even though they are within the boundary of South Glos.. Things get even stranger when it comes to Diocese education trusts, for example we support schools that belong to the Diocese of Bristol trust that are geographically located in Wiltshire - go figure...
My mum & dad used to live in Botley, nowadays a suburb of Oxford. It used to be in Berkshire...

I never know what county i'm in around here, is it South Glocs, Glocs, Somerset, North Somerset, Bristol, Avon? I've lived on the Yorkshire/Derbyshire border most of my life but in this neck of the woods its a wonder there are any coherant services! There's Avon & Somerset fire, Glocs Police, Bristol extends out into the adjoining authorities, or do they encroach on Bristol? :roll: As far as churches go, is it Bath&Wells or Gloucester or neither or both in places? Not only that, everyone speaks a different language to me, even the natives!

Carry on Mick, you keep us entertained with tales from the not that far west really! :wink:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Done them all! :D :D

52miles yesterday having driven to Penzance. Foggy and cool to start with, then hot and sunny later.
Fourteen parish churches done.

Two in Penzance
Gulval
Madron
Zennor
Morvah
Pendeen
St Just
Sennen ......... furthest west in Cornwall
St Leven
St Buryan
Paul
Sancreed
Newlyn

Next quest is to re-do the bridges over the River Tamar .............. as I understand there are two more crossings as they've opened up routes around and about the Tamar Lakes. New thread will be started soon! :D

Photo of Moulton at Sennen church where I ate my (early) packed lunch in the churchyard. There' a pub next door called The Last pub in England. It's on the road out from Land's End.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.07081 ... 312!8i6656

Sennen.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tipptopp :wink:
Are there a lot of chapels in Cornwall, like in Wales? Could be the next project but one
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
rjb

Post by rjb »

foxyrider wrote:
simonineaston wrote:

I never know what county i'm in around here, is it South Glocs, Glocs, Somerset, North Somerset, Bristol, Avon? I've lived on the Yorkshire/Derbyshire border most of my life but in this neck of the woods its a wonder there are any coherant services! There's Avon & Somerset fire, Glocs Police, Bristol extends out into the adjoining authorities, or do they encroach on Bristol? :roll: As far as churches go, is it Bath&Wells or Gloucester or neither or both in places? Not only that, everyone speaks a different language to me, even the natives!

Carry on Mick, you keep us entertained with tales from the not that far west really! :wink:

No it's not. It's Devon and Somerset fire and rescue service, but Avon and Somerset police. And you think your confused, no wonder you don't understand the locals :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
armadillo

Post by armadillo »

Congratulations Mick on the completion of your task!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D :D

I'm an obsessive sort of chap, and I get my teeth into a project, and this project really lit my candle.

Of the fourteen on Friday, the most memorable was Gulval parish church, second one of the day.
The church yard is surrounded by a wall with gates through, but I went all round the road outside twice, and couldn't see the church at all due to the thick big leafy trees.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.13279 ... 312!8i6656

This view is from April 2010, and it's well grown-over now ten years later! :lol:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.13207 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Can't see it but I can hear it! It must be in there somewhere :-)
S
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am doing likewise, but in more detail, been attending holy services. Often that is the only way to see a church from inside

Something like a free concert and literature reading, smells good too, Plus One
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies