Parish Churches

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
User avatar
RickH
Posts: 5322
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: Parish Churches

Postby RickH » 27 Aug 2018, 4:59pm

I don't know the situation in the South West but, Mrs H & I finally got round to finishing off the Wainright Coast-to-Coast last autumn - walking form Kirkby Stephen to Robin Hoods Bay. We found that a number of churches along the route not only were open but had had brewing facilities (& sometimes snacks) set out inside with a donation /honesty box. :D One or two farms had honesty box unmanned tuck shops too.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10798
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Parish Churches

Postby Cunobelin » 27 Aug 2018, 6:09pm

RickH wrote:I don't know the situation in the South West but, Mrs H & I finally got round to finishing off the Wainright Coast-to-Coast last autumn - walking form Kirkby Stephen to Robin Hoods Bay. We found that a number of churches along the route not only were open but had had brewing facilities (& sometimes snacks) set out inside with a donation /honesty box. :D One or two farms had honesty box unmanned tuck shops too.



I come from St Ives in Cambridgeshire, an there is a wonderful story about church brewed ales.

Apparently MIddle Ages, a number of residents from Houghton had walked into Huntingdon and drank a copious amount of Ale (What we used to call a "Run Ashore".. MIckF will understand

They were then fined for drinking the beer from another Parish (Defaulters?)

rjb
Posts: 4287
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: Parish Churches

Postby rjb » 27 Aug 2018, 7:11pm

There's a group of villages near us named Ilse Abbott's, Ilse Brewers, Beer Crowcombe and Curry Mallet. Everything a man could ask for within a few miles. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

Hobbs1951
Posts: 480
Joined: 15 Apr 2014, 10:48am

Re: Parish Churches

Postby Hobbs1951 » 28 Aug 2018, 6:59am

Not read all of this thread but John Betjeman's favourite Cornish church was Blisland, which I have visited many a time when visiting friends in and near Calstock.

However, some of you may not know that Betjeman loved Lincolnshire and the area around the Georgian market town of Louth, this part of Lincolnshire (Wolds - AONB - and Marsh) has some of the finest traffic-free cycling in the UK and some superb churches.

And if your interest is aviation then Lincolnshire is both the birthplace of aviation and Bomber County.

Myself ? I'll be visiting Boconnoc-cum-Broadoak (nr Lostwithiel) soon, as an ancestor was Rector there after leaving his London curacy for Cornwall in 1710.

John.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10798
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Parish Churches

Postby Cunobelin » 28 Aug 2018, 8:15am

rjb wrote:There's a group of villages near us named Ilse Abbott's, Ilse Brewers, Beer Crowcombe and Curry Mallet. Everything a man could ask for within a few miles. :lol:



After a few beers we have. local village at the edge of the Fens called Pidley

(Formerly Pidley-cum-Fenton)

PS Also home of the Pidley Mountain Rescue Team

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10798
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Parish Churches

Postby Cunobelin » 28 Aug 2018, 8:22am

Hobbs1951 wrote:Not read all of this thread but John Betjeman's favourite Cornish church was Blisland, which I have visited many a time when visiting friends in and near Calstock.

However, some of you may not know that Betjeman loved Lincolnshire and the area around the Georgian market town of Louth, this part of Lincolnshire (Wolds - AONB - and Marsh) has some of the finest traffic-free cycling in the UK and some superb churches.

And if your interest is aviation then Lincolnshire is both the birthplace of aviation and Bomber County.

Myself ? I'll be visiting Boconnoc-cum-Broadoak (nr Lostwithiel) soon, as an ancestor was Rector there after leaving his London curacy for Cornwall in 1710.

John.





There is some controversy over Betjeman's favourite church, it is also claimed by St Enodoc at Trebetherick. They back the claim with the fact that it was where he chose to be buried

Image

Hobbs1951
Posts: 480
Joined: 15 Apr 2014, 10:48am

Re: Parish Churches

Postby Hobbs1951 » 28 Aug 2018, 8:59am

No controversy in my mind, St Enodoc was JBs local church. He lived nearby in Trebetherick, and his parent's had a house in Trebtherick when JB was a boy.

When JB was alive there's little doubt that Blisland was his favourite church.

I have a watercolour of St Enodoc above my fireplace - it's been there some 30 years now (I first visited St Enodoc in 1980).

John.

JakobW
Posts: 423
Joined: 9 Jun 2014, 1:26pm
Location: The glorious West Midlands

Re: Parish Churches

Postby JakobW » 28 Aug 2018, 9:02am

Hobbs1951 wrote:And if your interest is aviation then Lincolnshire is both the birthplace of aviation and Bomber County.


(OT): The Bomber County thing is a commonplace, but what's the 'birthplace of aviation' claim? Don't think I've heard that one before, and all the milestones I can think of are in other parts of the UK.

Hobbs1951
Posts: 480
Joined: 15 Apr 2014, 10:48am

Re: Parish Churches

Postby Hobbs1951 » 28 Aug 2018, 9:10am

JakobW wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:And if your interest is aviation then Lincolnshire is both the birthplace of aviation and Bomber County.


(OT): The Bomber County thing is a commonplace, but what's the 'birthplace of aviation' claim? Don't think I've heard that one before, and all the milestones I can think of are in other parts of the UK.


From my perspective the comment has merit, the RAF considers the county the spiritual home (sic) of military aviation, but I suppose it might depend on your definition of BoA. As for Bomber County being commonplace it may be so for aviation enthusiasts but not for the general public.

John.

N.B the first recorded lighter than air flight - landing - took place in Lincolnshire in 1811.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50945
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Parish Churches

Postby Mick F » 28 Aug 2018, 9:22am

I had planned on going to the local parish churches this morning. Note the word "had". :oops:
We have to do "stuff" today, so a three hour ride is out of the question today as we're off out shortly.

My plan was Clastock, Callington, South Hill, Linkinhorne, Stoke Climsland as a simple 25mile introduction. Maybe I could have extended it from Linkinhorne to North Hill, South Petherwin and Launceston then caught Stoke Climsland on the way home. It would be more like 35miles to do that.

Maybe tomorrow.
Churches.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 14917
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Parish Churches

Postby Cyril Haearn » 28 Aug 2018, 9:29am

How will you document your activities? Take a photo, go into the church? I would soon forget which I had visited

Got a little book, "Old Churches in Herefordshire", 200+ are listed, that at Garway is unusually interesting, or Shobdon (Strawberry Hill Gothic), several have detached bell towers, Ledbury has several naves &c &c

Old churches smell good too, anyone else noticed that?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50945
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Parish Churches

Postby Mick F » 28 Aug 2018, 9:43am

Cyril Haearn wrote:How will you document your activities? Take a photo, go into the church? I would soon forget which I had visited
Ho do I know which roads I've cycled on in Cornwall?
How do I know that I've cycled over all the bridges over the A30 Exeter to Penzance?

I keep records. Spreadsheets, lists .............. and I use a Garmin device to record my journeys onto my computer.

The very same mate who suggested going to all the parish churches, has said that I should take a photo of myself at each of them. He can get lost! :lol: :lol:
Over two hundred photos of yours truly outside a church? How boring is that! :lol:

I thought when doing the bridges, that I should have had some sort of paint with me to number each one - to give the bridges an identity maybe. Likewise, what I could do - though I doubt I will - is to sign the visitors' books. Most churches have them. Maybe sign as Mick F and give each church a number in the order that I've done them.

I won't.
I'll be eyeballing each church by riding past the front gates. My Garmin records will tell the tale.
Mick F. Cornwall

MrsHJ
Posts: 773
Joined: 19 Aug 2010, 1:03pm
Location: Dartmouth, Devon.

Re: Parish Churches

Postby MrsHJ » 28 Aug 2018, 10:19am

Photos or it didn't happen!

Seriously though I am an atheist but love church photos-there's more variety than we often realise. And it's often so worthwhile going inside for more history. Selfies are optional though. As a south westerner I also have lots of rellies buried at places like mevagissey, carbis bay and Falmouth.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10798
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Parish Churches

Postby Cunobelin » 28 Aug 2018, 11:01am

With regard to the RAF.......

It was in fact the Royal Navy who led the advance guard of military flying!

The home of Military Flying is HMS Sultan in Gosport, or rather Grange Airfield as it was at the time.

As the concept of a military use became more acceptable, there was only two Servicemen flying, a couple of Royal Naval Lieutenants who had built and were flying an aircraft at Grange in Gosport.

A number of Army officers were sent down to Grange, where they were taught to fly, thus starting the pool of pilots that would cascade this training and this expanding care of pilots would become the RFC and RAF

So once again the Royal Navy is the Senior Service when it comes to Aviation

As an aside, I love the fact that

During 1909/10, Vic Hutfield teamed up with three other gentlemen to form the ‘RAS Aeroplane Co, Gosport’, using their names as the initials (Reader, Allen & Sheffield), and Vic Hutfield tried out his own-build monoplane at Grange. He also built the first aircraft hangar at the site in which to house his own aircraft. The monoplane was ready for testing at Grange in July 1910. Several flights got off the ground but landings were rather unsuccessful, with Grange field being unlevel, with potholes & puddles, and damage included breaking the propellor. After awaiting a new propellor for months, when it arrived it had been badly made, and couldn’t be used. Later on, after much fiddling about, a young lad offered to fly the plane, and it flew for several hundred yards, probably because of the light weight of the lad, who later became Air Vice Marshall Lywood.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10798
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Parish Churches

Postby Cunobelin » 28 Aug 2018, 11:04am

MrsHJ wrote:Photos or it didn't happen!

Seriously though I am an atheist but love church photos-there's more variety than we often realise. And it's often so worthwhile going inside for more history. Selfies are optional though. As a south westerner I also have lots of rellies buried at places like mevagissey, carbis bay and Falmouth.



I was in Southwark Cathedral. Like many you require a Photo Permit, I have no problem with that as it helps pay for upkeep.

However there was a couple asking photos all over the place, and were challenged. Their argument was that they were taking "Selfies" which didn't count as photographs because teh Cathedral was merely in the background and not the main feature!

They were adamant