Altura Vortex Ultralite Panniers

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pedalsheep

Altura Vortex Ultralite Panniers

Post by pedalsheep »

Has anyone tried these? The attachment system looks rather iffy and I've not actually seen them in the flesh but the low weight and relatively low price makes them sound appealing for a spot of fairly minimalist camping.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
pedalsheep

Re: Altura Vortex Ultralite Panniers

Post by pedalsheep »

What? Has no one tried these or even seen them in the flesh? No reviews online either. The design has changed since last year and the attachment system does seem better. Looks like the only way to find out is to buy them myself and see. Or stick with my ortliebs and forget about weight saving...
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I was similarly keen on shedding some weight compared to the bombproof Ortlieb backrollers that I used as my only panniers (I do not need front panniers on my camping tours). I tried the vaguely comparable Arkel Drylites. Their attachment system was awkward, and some friends who also bought them reported reliability issues with the first generation (elegantly handled and solved by Arkel, to be sure). My biggest issues with those panniers was that their real size was considerably less than advertised. They were smaller than the Ortlieb front panniers that we measured at 25 litres a pair. So in the end, they were not very useful to me. After that experience, I did not try the Altura alternative. Instead I bought the discontinued (but still available from some shops) Altura ARC 15, at 33 measured litres capacity. These weigh 1050 grams a pair, so still a big weight saving compared to the Backrollers. Be careful they are often sold singly. Attachment is Klickfix, but not adjustable - dimensions between the hooks is 13 cm, and 18 cm on the outside. So you would have to measure the top struts of your rack to see if there is room for the hooks. They are well made. Maybe not as robust as Ortlieb Classic panniers, but good enough for many tours.
Last edited by willem jongman on 9 Sep 2018, 6:59pm, edited 2 times in total.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

It's a huge weight saving (1.4kg vs Ort?). Could you buy them and just check out the attachments in the flesh. If they look that bad you could always send them back?
raaab

Post by raaab »

pedalsheep wrote:Has anyone tried these? The attachment system looks rather iffy and I've not actually seen them in the flesh but the low weight and relatively low price makes them sound appealing for a spot of fairly minimalist camping.

I did not have altura untralites myself, but two people I toured with last year had them. Based on their experience I would not consider them. The attachment system is poor and unstable. The are prone to rips/damage. One of the people I toured with brought them back to evans (badly damaged) and got a full refund
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

raaab wrote:
pedalsheep wrote:Has anyone tried these? The attachment system looks rather iffy and I've not actually seen them in the flesh but the low weight and relatively low price makes them sound appealing for a spot of fairly minimalist camping.

I did not have altura untralites myself, but two people I toured with last year had them. Based on their experience I would not consider them. The attachment system is poor and unstable. The are prone to rips/damage. One of the people I toured with brought them back to evans (badly damaged) and got a full refund

Thanks raab. That has confirmed my suspicions, I'll stick with my ortliebs.
aquilo

Post by aquilo »

Hi
Not tried the Altura ones but have used the Arkle ones on three Channel to Med Tours and a JOGLE with no problems. No leaks and never fallen off. The Velcro attachment system is very secure and robust compared to any plastic attachments. The weight saving over Ortliebs is huge, they are I agree smaller but then they are for minimalist touring. Must admit I'm not sure what they would be like if you fell off at speed on a rough road, but after years of being propped against walls the bag on that side of the bike is still in great condition with no real wear.

Cheers and good luck with whatever you choose.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

aquilo wrote:Hi
Not tried the Altura ones but have used the Arkle ones on three Channel to Med Tours and a JOGLE with no problems. No leaks and never fallen off. The Velcro attachment system is very secure and robust compared to any plastic attachments. The weight saving over Ortliebs is huge, they are I agree smaller but then they are for minimalist touring. Must admit I'm not sure what they would be like if you fell off at speed on a rough road, but after years of being propped against walls the bag on that side of the bike is still in great condition with no real wear.

Cheers and good luck with whatever you choose.

Those look fab. If I was to get a new set of panniers they would be v tempting.

https://www.arkel-od.com/en/dry-lites.html