Verdun???

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
iainb

Verdun Battlefield Area

Post by iainb »

Hi folks

My wife and i have cycled around the major British WW1 areas - the Somme, Ypres Salient and Arras and this summer we're thinking about going to Verdun. Anyone ridden around there and if so any advice you can give please?
Thanks and regards
Iain
sabrutat

Re: Verdun Battlefield Area

Post by sabrutat »

I toured and wild camped the Ardennes a couple of years ago, and while riding, listened to the Blueprint for Armageddon WWI series of Hardcore History podcasts by Dan Carlin, which added an immeasurable dimension to the experience. I cannot recommend them enough.

I was close, but didn't actually visit Verdun as I was on a schedule, but in hindsight I should've.
Graham

Post by Graham »

I visited the battlefield area about 35 years ago and it has left an enduring memory.

Fort of Douaumont remains as a monument of concrete and steel - to war, death and horror.

It is surrounded by a large area of forest, where the ravaged land has been left cratered by high-explosive bombardment - not a flat bit anywhere.

Read the history - preferably before you go.

There appear to be a number of associated forts and monuments in the area. e.g. Fort de Vaux

I went straight to streetview in maps.google.fr when I read your post.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

If you want to know about the battle there's an excellent book in English - The Price of Glory by Alistair Horne. I bought my copy at the bookshop in Fort Douaumont. Try not to get lost in the woods - as Horne says it's not an experience even a grown man would wish to repeat.
The citadel and defences in Verdun city are worth a visit as well as the battlefield itself.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I went about 20 years ago. Don't suppose much has changed.

I cycled it using my campervan as a base. I camped somewhere near the town and rode out each day. I can't remember how long I was there for, probably about 3 days, but managed to see all the 'sights'.

I think it was more moving than The Somme or Paschendale. The destruction has just been left in many places with forests covering some areas. Shell holes everywhere. Also notices reminding you it is a national memorial and no picnicking, radios, etc.

Don't miss the cemetery and ossiary (bone house).

You can certainly do it on a bike if you do your research, work out what you want to see and get your maps sorted.
Graham

Post by Graham »

. . . . . or a walking tour . . . This library search caught my attention and my interest :-

Main Title: Walking Verdun / Christina Holstein.
Author: Holstein, Christina
Imprint: Barnsley : Pen & Sword Military, 2009.
Collation: 176 p. : ill., maps, ports. ; 22 cm.
Notes:
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Summary:
A walking tour of all the key points of the Verdun battlefield, featuring the most famous surviving sights, including the Forts at Douaumont, Vaux and Souville, the Mort Homme ridge and Verdun itself. Also included are the monuments, cemeteries and abandoned villages.
ISBN: 9781844158676 (pbk)

PS. This is not a recommendation for the book. Reviews are available on Amazon.
I might borrow from the library and give it a read.
Last edited by Graham on 24 Mar 2018, 10:17am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: PS edit
Graham

Post by Graham »

Graham wrote:I went straight to streetview in maps.google.fr when I read your post. There used-to-be loads of photos of the historic sites online, but it does look as though they have been much reduced.

I have discovered otherwise . . .
FYI
It seems there is a new procedure on maps/google.fr .
- There tends to be only one single "photo point" for an area/monument/whatever.
- Clicking on this produces a bar on the left of the screen.
- Clicking on a photo/photos within the bar produces a gallery of thumbnail photos
- Clicking on an individual photo shows the full photo on the right-hand side of the screen

Many photos of the Verdun battlefield area can (still) be seen using this excellent facility.
iainb

Post by iainb »

Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated, given us plenty to think about.
Regards
Iain
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

iainb wrote:Hi folks

My wife and i have cycled around the major British WW1 areas - the Somme, Ypres Salient and Arras and this summer we're thinking about going to Verdun. Anyone ridden around there and if so any advice you can give please?
Thanks and regards
Iain

There is a recently updated guidebook on ' cycling the WO1 front line' but i'm afraid it is in Dutch. Plenty of maps and pretty pictures though: https://www.recreatief-fietsen.nl/frontlijnroute/
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
Woodtourer

Verdun???

Post by Woodtourer »

I know this is last minute! But we will be in Verdun tomorrow and wonder if anyone has any suggestions for routes around the area to see some of the WW1 sites.
Thanks!!
Graham

Re: Verdun???

Post by Graham »

AT this short notice I can only think of going to L'Office de Tourisme in Verdun

According to their website there are twenty new circuits, some of which are around the battlefield.
They might try to rent you an e-bike to do them on . . . but you can do better :wink:

l'Office de Tourisme du Grand Verdun propose à ses visiteurs de la location d'une quarantaine de vélos électriques pour explorer la ville et son champ de bataille, sa nature et son histoire... une bonne alternative qui mélange sport/détente, nature et découverte du patrimoine.

20 circuits

Découvrez la Ville de Verdun et son Champ de Bataille avec des circuits tous niveaux.

https://www.tourisme-verdun.com/actuali ... electrique

https://www.tourisme-verdun.com/
simonhill

Re: Verdun???

Post by simonhill »

As you can see from my post above, I spent a while there some time ago.

About a month ago, I returned on my length of the WW1 Western Front ride. I rode it 'along the 'line' as much as I could, including the Ossuary at Duamont. Still very moving, but the whole WW1 thing is starting to take on a bit of a Disney feel, with camera snapping tourists everywhere. See, snap, leave. Respect and solemnity seemed in short supply in many places. Nonetheless definitely worth going, a place still seared on the French psyche.

As you won't have time for much research, I would go to the tourist office which is next to the bridge by the citadel. They will be able to give you maps and info. As said above, the town is also worth a look.

Keep your eyes open as you ride to see the devastated nature of the ground, much covered by pine forest. Be prepared for some stiff climbing and although there are some must sees, on a bike you can escape the more touristy bits. There is a big museum that is worth seeing if you have time.