Cycling the Santander-Mediterranean greenway

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pulseezar

Cycling the Santander-Mediterranean greenway

Postby pulseezar » 30 Aug 2018, 6:56pm

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip from Madrid to Bilbao in a couple of weeks time. The route planners I have been using are suggesting I use an old railway line North of Burgos which it turns out is part of the old Santander-Mediterranean greenway route. It appears to be surfaced with "compacted gravel" but was hoping someone might have experience of cycling here. We'll be on "road" touring bikes so not sure the surface will be appropriate - pretty sure at least one of the bikes will have 28mm tyres.

The specific section I am referring to is the Burgos-La Bureba section - see link below.

http://www.viasverdes.com/en/itineraries/itinerario.asp?id=152

Any knowledge or experience anyone can provide on this would be gratefully received!

Thanks

pulseezar

Re: Cycling the Santander-Mediterranean greenway

Postby pulseezar » 23 Sep 2018, 4:33pm

Having now cycled this I thought I'd answer my own question in case anyone else considers it...

The greenway is great, good quality compact gravel surface, completely fine for anything but the flimsiest of road bike. It's a really wonderful ride with fantastic scenery and recommended as a way to of from Bilbao area.

MrsHJ

Re: Cycling the Santander-Mediterranean greenway

Postby MrsHJ » 24 Sep 2018, 4:04am

pulseezar wrote:Having now cycled this I thought I'd answer my own question in case anyone else considers it...

The greenway is great, good quality compact gravel surface, completely fine for anything but the flimsiest of road bike. It's a really wonderful ride with fantastic scenery and recommended as a way to of from Bilbao area.

And presumably a way of missing a lot of immense rolling hills on the coastal route. Sounds good to me.