Britain's best tours

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
HarryD

Re: Britain's best tours

Post by HarryD »

Have a look on the Cicerone website. They do a number of guides to tours of all distances in the UK and overseas.

Lonely Planet used to do a guide to cycling in the UK but not sure if it is still around.
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote:
PH wrote:I like sections of the Pennine Cycle Way but not all of it

Can I ask which bits you didn't like and why?

Sorry just revisited this:
I've done it twice, so obviously there's more I liked than didn't. The surfaces are very variable, more so than on the other NCN routes I've done, I walked several sections, from memory - a bit N of Buxton, past Woodhead, Wark forest, some bits before Wooler. Then there's some parts that I found uninteresting, around Burnley and the last 20 miles come to mind.
I wouldn't rule out doing it again, though i'd probably get the map out and not stick so faithfully to the route. Given a choice of the PCW or LLC I'd go to Wales every time.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

PH wrote:Then there's some parts that I found uninteresting, around Burnley and the last 20 miles come to mind.

You can bypass Burnley with the lovely upland route direct from Hebden Bridge to Colne - sometimes called NCN 681 though last I looked the signs still said 68. I knew the canal through Burnley passingly and didn't have any great desire to revisit it!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
honesty

Post by honesty »

The upland section south of Colne was one of my favourite bits (well apart from the climb out of Colne which was a bit of a killer). The section from Ashbourne is a bit quite but I rather liked it. The off road sections to the south of Wooler are just bad and would recommend missing them. Other than that I loved the Pennine Cycleway. Bloomin hard though.
robing

Post by robing »

hondated wrote:Could I ask is it possible to ride the Lon las cymru on a touring bike . Thanks

Yep, did it on fully loaded touring bike in May. Camped all the way, superb route and weather was fantastic.
Definitely the best shorter tour I've done.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the reply upthread PH.

(Not from burnley, but not too far from :). )
Sweep