Cyclestreets on android?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DevonDamo

Re: Cyclestreets on android?

Post by DevonDamo »

I did indeed note which navigation app you stated that you use. But for the life of me, I can't spot the bit where you told the OP whether that particular app can be used to export .gpx files, which is what he's after. If I were the cynical type, I might suspect your motives for posting in this thread were something other than simply helping the OP.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

DevonDamo wrote:Blimey - seems like a lot of work just to get a route up when the cyclestreets routes normally seem pretty sensible. I don't like having my phone talking to me either, but I just turn the voice function off.

Anyhoo, the answer to your original question is that you need to use a browser on your phone which allows the 'user agent' to be set as Desktop. The one I use is called Opera and I've just confirmed that when I go onto http://www.cyclestreets.net, it takes me to the full webpage and I was able to export a .gpx file of a test route I just planned.

There are a few versions of Opera available, but the one that I use is just called 'Opera'. (i.e. not 'Opera mini,' 'Opera mobile' or 'Opera Classic.') To change the 'user agent' to Desktop:
- go into Settings
- scroll down two thirds of the way to the bottom and there's a 'Default user agent' option in the 'Content' section
- Change that from 'mobile' to 'desktop.'
- Done.
(NB: If you find the browser still keeps taking you to the mobile site, you can solve this by Settings>Privacy>Clear Browsing data>[Select all and OK])

I think it's worth changing to Opera anyway, as it's a powerful browser, but very user-friendly (once you've got used to it) and has a very effective built-in ad-blocker.

Thanks for that.

I actually simplified my process for routes in the interests of a simple thread! I actually create a quick auto route in the route planner, then import it into gpsies.com to finesse it, delete unecessary points. move many slightly to make junctions clearer, then import that file into a text editor that works offline on my chromebook to number all the points and strip out superfluous code. Last thing can be done with an automated step. Then transfer it to the Garmin.

It might seem a fag but it means I can ride 80, 100 miles or more, even in the dark, without stopping to look at a map. I use "point to point" routes so the Garmin doesn't have to do any route processing. This reduces battery drain and reduces to a minimum any chances of screw-ups en-route. If I wander off the route to look at something I can easily get back onto my route by just navigating to a point number further along. This can be done using the Garmin's auto routing, since we are probably only talking 2 or 3 kilometres at the most. Point to point routes also tend to work well when reversed on the Garmin.

I was contemplating using the Android tab for basic route manipulation and transfer to the Garmin but eventually gave up on this because of complex power reasons to do with connecting the Garmin to my Lenovo tab. Have now got (for £99) a small chromebook which is far better for this. And the Chromebook doesn't insist on taking me to an app. The Chromebook (and the tab) will now be taken on all tours of any length.

So the tab is just used for quick and dirty checking out of route suggestions.

It IS irritating that Cyclestreets DOES try with most "mobile" browsers to take you to the app. One can only assume that this is to do with their own data collection strategies.

I try to minimise the number off apps I have, don't entirely trust them, and it is definitely the case that many apps have less functionality than the desktop equivalent. So one can only assume that the only advantage is for the app owner.

I will experiment with Opera on the Android (thanks) though that means I will have to have a browser for just one purpose. My normal brower is Chrome.
Sweep
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Given the length of the rides you're doing per day, you've got very different needs to me. Last night was a good example of how/why I use GPS: I needed to quickly plan a sensible 10 mile urban route from my house to some friends' and then do the same to get back again later. My approach is to plan it using the CycleStreets app, so that I've got a map marked with a purple line showing my route. I then eyeball the route, and then I only need to take the phone out of my pocket if I've forgotten where I'm going at a particular junction. I press a button and it puts my position on the map so I can see where I am in relation to the purple line. i.e. I'm not using it as a 'Sat Nav' - just a glorified map with my route marked. That's good enough for my needs, and I literally set up the route as I'm walking out of the door, but I'd probably look at other arrangements for a 100 mile ride.

I wouldn't worry about CycleStreets in terms of data security etc. As far as software developers go, they're definitely the good guys - non-profit, open source, generally promoting cycling. Check out their blog on their website or look up their Wikipedia page.

Finally, as you're using Chrome, I've tried to get CycleStreets .gpx export working on that, and I appear to have done so, although it's a bit weird...
(1) Settings>Privacy>Clear browsing data (2) Menu>Remove the tick against 'Desktop site'. (3) Navigate to http://www.cyclestreets.net This gets me to the full version of the cyclestreets website and I was able to use the search boxes and export a .gpx file etc. I don't know why you have to tell it not to use the desktop site in order to get to the desktop site, but it seems to work!
zenitb

Select "Desktop Site" on Chrome ?

Post by zenitb »

Ok .. on my Android phone Chrome browser I typed

http://www.cyclestreets.org
(this redirected to a mobile format at URL m.cyclestreets.net)

I then pressed the "three dots one above the other" at the top right of the Chrome Browser screen
(a menu appears)

On that menu there is a checkbox entitled "Desktop Site" - I clicked the checkbox
(this redirected to http://www.cyclestreets.net - which is the desktop site)

OP: Is this what you wanted to do Sweep ? Or have I missed the point ?

(incidentally my Firefox mobile browser has the same checkbox option - but called "Request Desktop Site")

EDIT: I tried testing it by entering "Fleet" to "Alton" and Cyclestreets drew a fairly quiet traffic free route on my phone Chrome browser screen.
I then clicked the tiny "GPX device export" box and it prompted for the download and then downloaded the GPX onto the phone .
I then had the option of opening the GPX in one of my normal 3 apps (Maprika, Orux or OS Maps) and I chose my normal navigation app Orux Maps. The GPX then loaded up into Orux maps fine - albeit with waypoints shown as red tacks all along the route (I don't get all the waypoints normally in Orux Maps but I generate the GPX in GPSies not Cyclestreets :-)) The waypoints look fine though so no issue. Hope all this helps ?
Last edited by zenitb on 10 Sep 2018, 11:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks.

At first appeared to do nothing, then i clicked on home, and THEN, lower left of the screen, I was presented with a choice to go to the desktop site. Think i have seen that option in the past, maybe by some accidental clicking of mine.

Many thanks again, looks like you have sorted it for me.
Sweep
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Sweep wrote:Thanks.

At first appeared to do nothing, then i clicked on home, and THEN, lower left of the screen, I was presented with a choice to go to the desktop site. Think i have seen that option in the past, maybe by some accidental clicking of mine.

Many thanks again, looks like you have sorted it for me.

Glad I could help Sweep ... I often get the problem of being bounced into naff mobile websites so I have had this issue before. Best of luck with the route planning :-)
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

This is out of date I know but is related
I've had cycestreets app on an android phone for several years and love the simplicity of it
I now have a new Google phone and the downloaded app does not show any maps at all ???
There's a recent review on the app page suggesting others have this issue
Has anyone else had this on cycestreets apps
Thanks techno people
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

To reassure you: the app doesn’t gobble batteries or resources within the phone, or mobile data, it’s very economical on all, and like you it is my “go to” for busy/complex/urban areas, in my case because it presents a nice, clean, uncluttered view on screen.

What does gobble batteries is having the screen on, and so far as I can work out that becomes an issue irrespective of what is serving the picture to the screen, it’s just a function of illuminating the thing. To try to counter that, I only turn the picture on when absolutely necessary, in the really confusing/complicated places, and turn it off as soon as I’ve got a mile or so of ‘clear’ route, same path, or same road, ahead of me. If I’m out all day, or for more than one day, I take a battery brick with me, just in case I end up using the screen a lot.

(I use an iPhone, and when I’ve had trouble with the app in any way I’ve found the developers helpful and responsive)
Last edited by Nearholmer on 2 Aug 2023, 10:03am, edited 1 time in total.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Lookrider wrote: 2 Aug 2023, 9:29am This is out of date I know but is related
I've had cycestreets app on an android phone for several years and love the simplicity of it
I now have a new Google phone and the downloaded app does not show any maps at all ???
There's a recent review on the app page suggesting others have this issue
Has anyone else had this on cycestreets apps
Thanks techno people
I'm still using it on Android, and it's still working for me. However, some time ago they 'updated' it, getting rid of the offline vector maps. So now you need a data connection for maps. This may be related to your missing maps - e.g. have you given your app permission to use data? (The elephant in the room here is that without the offline vector maps, we might as well switch to the cycle.travel app, which I just haven't got round to yet )
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

It sounds like as you describe
There's no maps
Saved routes etc are there but in viewable
I cannot see where it says to allow data when I down loaded the app
I'm not tech savvy
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

Does Devon demo find cycle travel just as easy ...the map does look simplistic for me in that you just touch start and finish etc
A search for Android app says it's not available as yet ...only iPhone
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Lookrider wrote: 2 Aug 2023, 2:43pm It sounds like as you describe
There's no maps
Saved routes etc are there but in viewable
I cannot see where it says to allow data when I down loaded the app
I'm not tech savvy
Okay, I've just had a look myself, and seen that Cyclestreets are claiming the problem with maps not displaying is a known issue with new versions of Android, but it can be fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

So find the app icon on your phone and press and hold it until two boxes pop up. Keep the icon pressed and drag it up, which will make two further options appear at the top of the screen . Drag the icon to the one on the right: 'uninstall.'

After its uninstalled, go into the Google Play app, find Cyclestreets and reinstall it. If the developers are correct, this should fix your maps.

And yes, I've just checked and you're right - 'cycle travel' is not yet available on Android.
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

Thanks for your time on this
I have uninstalled the app via the settings/apps page by pressing uninstall
Then re installed but still no good
I also removed the cycestreets app via dragging to the remove bin
Re installed and still no good
My new phone is a Google phone but cannot see how that makes a difference
Cycle travel did seem a simple map as well
Any other easy cycle apps come to mind
Preferably where the sustrians routes cycle paths etc jump out more than the roads do
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Lookrider wrote: 2 Aug 2023, 5:03pmAny other easy cycle apps come to mind
Preferably where the sustrians routes cycle paths etc jump out more than the roads do
I use Google Maps quite a lot for cycling. It's not perfect, but it usually give you a reasonably sensible route, and tends to favour Sustrans routes if they're available, and will tell you what their NCN number is in the route description. Routing is just a matter of clicking on where you want to go, choosing 'directions' and clicking on the cycle symbol near the top. That's all I do, but you could then click 'start' for it to start giving you turn-by-turn directions. To show bike-friendly roads and NCN paths overlaid on the map, click the 'layers' icon on the map screen and select 'cycling.'

There are other ones out there, like OSMAnd and Komoot, but I've rarely used these so I'll leave it up to someone else to recommend them or not.

Re. Cyclestreets: it's probably just a matter of waiting. They're aware of the problem, so my guess would be it won't take much more than a month for them to issue an updated version that works on newer Android versions.
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

I just wait a bit for cycestreets then
Strange though when I re insall the cycle streets app my old saved routes are always there ???

I'd have thought a new installed app would have no memory or info on it