Posh Hostels of the World

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: Posh Hostels of the World

Post by simonhill »

Of the cities in that article that I know, I would say these are pretty expensive for a bed in a shared dorm. Very expensive for a double. I'd search out a good budget hotel or guest house where you will get a room with bath for about the same or not much more than these dorms.

Not mentioned here, but I know a flashpacker hostel in Krabi (Thai.) where they charge 300+ Baht (£7) for a dorm bed. I stay in a reasonable hotel opposite (with nice view of river and partial view into the hostel) for 350 Baht for a double (hot shower, TV and fan).

First timers often ask about hostels, assuming that they will be the cheapest place to stay. Unless they are real doss house hostels, this is rarely the case in much of Asia.

Having said that, hostels, usually with communal areas, are better places to meet other travellers.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Are hostels cheaper than guest houses in Europe for non-dorm rooms? Thinking Norway, Switzerland and Austria in particular for next year
mjr

Post by mjr »

mnichols wrote:Are hostels cheaper than guest houses in Europe for non-dorm rooms? Thinking Norway, Switzerland and Austria in particular for next year

I'm not sure much is cheap in those three, but hostels show up among results on the big hotel search dot-com websites like trivago, hotels and booking if you let them, so it should be easy to see.

Quick searches make me think that Apartments, Pensions and Guesthouses are cheaper than private hostel rooms in Austria but don't seem plentiful in Switzerland and I've always some doubts whether such places are bike-friendly. In both, hostel double rooms seem about the price of ibis or B&B but maybe a bigger room and I'd expect bike storage rather than trying to squeeze them into a room. It's better if there are 4, 6 or 8 of you willing to share, because the bigger hostel rooms aren't much dearer. If you're near a border, it may be cheaper to stay over the border in Germany or Slovenia...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.