Spain - North to South

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
IrondadUK

Spain - North to South

Post by IrondadUK »

Hi All,

I'm planning to ride from Santander (or Bilbao) to Almeria (Mojacar) next summer and would welcome route advice and general advice on riding through Spain.

I'm looking to do it in around 5 days, 200km per day.

I did LEJoG this summer in 6 days self supported and got bit by the adventure biking bug! I holiday in Spain and ridden lots around local area.

Thanks
Chris
Eman Resu

Re: Spain - North to South

Post by Eman Resu »

Hi Chris,
Choosing which summer month is important. June to August can be extremely hot. For example, this June temperatures in the northern Castilla y Leon province where I cycle toured were in the mid to high 30s by the early afternoon, resulting 'madura' forearms (blistering of the skin from being slowly cooked). Probably September is a better month for an end to end in Spain.
Further, given that Spain is a mountainous country, I have found that route selection is important otherwise I find myself grinding up steep climbs in the sun or cycling through long tunnels with irritable motorists. Cycling routes given by Google maps often give legs which are not tarmaced and suitable only for MTB's.
If you are starting from Santander then the N611 to Reinosa and towards Palencia is preferable given the relatively calmer than the N623 route towards Burgos.
Regards
Dennis Almeida
Mathematics is precise, so I am a mathematician.
Life is precious, so I protect all life.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

If you do a forum search you will find much of the information you will need already on here.

If you like reading there is a good book 'Trans-Iberian Challenge: Cycling Through Spain' which covers some of your intended route.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Wow, you do some distance. I’d give another vote for focused by on when to do it. Also would south to north work better (forget that- I usually take long enough for the weather to change- you’re too Quick! I’m thinking maybe May but you might get some snow in the mountains! ( I’ve been snowed on in the picos in June but snow is a much easier thing to manage than heat). September could still be seriously hot in the afternoons.
IrondadUK

Post by IrondadUK »

Thank you for the replies. Bad news is its likely to be early August for my ride to meet the family for holidays, good news i'm happy to start early, rest and ride later on. Also i'm pretty good with hills and fairly quick.

Bikepacker - can you point me in the direction of any forums, had a quick search but don't think i was specific enough. Will source the book too, thanks.

Dennis - thanks for the advice, i'll add that section to my route.