Handle Bars- US & Europe??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Greystoke

Re: Handle Bars- US & Europe??

Post by Greystoke »

I have a converted MTB tourer/commuter and a drop bar tourer. My MTB has ergo grips with welded on bar ends which turn up at the end. I've padded these out and put bar tape on. The result is flat bars with ergo grips and then a position similar to riding drops on the hoods. I find it ideal and very comfortable.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

hondated wrote:
Brucey wrote:
hondated wrote:Would I be right in thinking that as I am more upright I am able to put more power through the pedals.

yes you may find that. You need a lot more core strength (and training) to push hard on the pedals when you are in any kind of crouched position, whereas an upright position is a bit more like climbing the stairs, and comes a bit more naturally. Racers have the option of a (relatively) upright position to climb with on the tops but if they can climb in a lower position, they often do so; even at 10-15mph aero drag is significant.

IMHO the forwardness of (flat bar) bar ends is not where their benefit lies when climbing; it is in letting your wrists articulate in a natural way when riding out of the saddle and/or throwing the bike around beneath you; this is rather uncomfortable when your hands are on the normal grips on a flat bar.

cheers

#Thanks Brucey. The information you have provided as now got me thinking that because I have an hiatal hernia the crouch position may not be the best one for me and the reason I like my current position it is because it gives me the benefit of getting air in and out more easily.
What do you or anyone think about that !

If it works for you I think it's great. Like your new set up. Your butterfly bars are more upright than mine were.
hondated

Post by hondated »

MrsHJ wrote:
hondated wrote:
Brucey wrote:
yes you may find that. You need a lot more core strength (and training) to push hard on the pedals when you are in any kind of crouched position, whereas an upright position is a bit more like climbing the stairs, and comes a bit more naturally. Racers have the option of a (relatively) upright position to climb with on the tops but if they can climb in a lower position, they often do so; even at 10-15mph aero drag is significant.

IMHO the forwardness of (flat bar) bar ends is not where their benefit lies when climbing; it is in letting your wrists articulate in a natural way when riding out of the saddle and/or throwing the bike around beneath you; this is rather uncomfortable when your hands are on the normal grips on a flat bar.

cheers

#Thanks Brucey. The information you have provided as now got me thinking that because I have an hiatal hernia the crouch position may not be the best one for me and the reason I like my current position it is because it gives me the benefit of getting air in and out more easily.
What do you or anyone think about that !

If it works for you I think it's great. Like your new set up. Your butterfly bars are more upright than mine were.

Thanks mrsHJ Yes they are really upright but they do feel comfortable like that.I have yet to ride some major hills on the Downs so I will be interested to see what they feel like when I do.

If I get on ok with them then I will definitely change the drops on my Roberts. I think the hardest part of all of this is coming to terms with how the bike looks aesthetically.