After A Tour ... Lacking Motivation to Go Out Cycling

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: After A Tour ... Lacking Motivation to Go Out Cycling

Post by simonhill »

I agree with Ian. The insurance companies have tightened up a lot.

I don't now exceed the allowed 2 months. As I said earlier, house insurance is one area where I won't take a risk anymore.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Don’t ride ‘well trodden paths’ after you’ve come back after an adventure tour, use the time to go and find new places to visit, and routes to ride. Using some route plotting software and going and fine tuning the route should work.
MattH

Post by MattH »

Useful to read about insurance, mine is similar, 60 days and it's "unoccupied". Definitely something worth thinking about before any long tour.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

MattH wrote:Useful to read about insurance, mine is similar, 60 days and it's "unoccupied". Definitely something worth thinking about before any long tour.

Yep, be careful. I was once away for over 60 days (non cycling), insurance company had confirmed verbally that their limit was 90 days, turned out that they had recently changed it to 60. Dread to think what could have happened. Could have got messy.
Sweep
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Sweep wrote:
MattH wrote:Useful to read about insurance, mine is similar, 60 days and it's "unoccupied". Definitely something worth thinking about before any long tour.

Yep, be careful. I was once away for over 60 days (non cycling), insurance company had confirmed verbally that their limit was 90 days, turned out that they had recently changed it to 60. Dread to think what could have happened. Could have got messy.

These days when I'm confirming something with my insurance company over the phone I note the date and time of the phone call so if there are subsequent issues they can go back and check what they said and agreed to. That said, I don't know how long they keep their recordings but I have had a credit card company go back 6'ish months to confirm what they'd said (before they then paid me compensation once they had verified my story).

Going back to recorded phone calls is not something I'd rely on but it often seems the best one can get.

Ian
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

We went out on a group ride today with a lunch along the way. Only 37 miles. We returned home last week after a 2 month tour in Europe. All during the ride I was missing my panniers and the place where we would be stopping for the night!!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Woodtourer wrote:We went out on a group ride today with a lunch along the way. Only 37 miles. We returned home last week after a 2 month tour in Europe. All during the ride I was missing my panniers and the place where we would be stopping for the night!!

Welcome home :wink:
I read your blog, the houses in Luebeck are Salzspeicher, salt warehouses where the white gold from Lueneburg was stored, it was brought by canal, took a couple of weeks until the modern canal was opened in 1900
Luebeck was one of the greatest cities in Europe a few centuries ago (Hanseatic League), it declined when America was discovered (globalisation)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Yes, at the risk of thread drift, hence a beautiful town/city. Then bombed to hell by the allies. Much restored. Recommended for a short break. Very short flight.
Sweep
Woodtourer

Post by Woodtourer »

Decided to do something about the "blue's". We are heading out for a 2 day tour with a train connection to return to our start point. We have done this ride before and the Autumn colors make it a nice easy ride!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sweep wrote:Yes, at the risk of thread drift, hence a beautiful town/city. Then bombed to hell by the allies. Much restored. Recommended for a short break. Very short flight.

Used to be a ryanair stop, not any more
A rich businessperson has bought the airport, it has a train station (request stop only :wink:)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Sweep wrote:Yes, at the risk of thread drift, hence a beautiful town/city. Then bombed to hell by the allies. Much restored. Recommended for a short break. Very short flight.

A rich businessperson has bought the airport, it has a train station (request stop only :wink:)

Ryanair used to sell it as Hamburg! Used it a couple of times with and without bike in the past. Are there any flights going there from the UK now?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

Yes I went by Ryanair.

They called it Hamburg.

A fair old distance from Hamburg, but no issue as I knew it was actually Lubeck and wanted to see it.

From what I remember of the airport, most of the passenger reception area was like a large wooden shed.
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

foxyrider wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

Ryanair used to sell it as Hamburg! Used it a couple of times with and without bike in the past. Are there any flights going there from the UK now?

Mr Stoecker of euroimmun owns it now, the gliding club has gone, no public flights
There are many other Geisterflughaefen, ghost airports in Germany: Kassel-Calden, Parchim, Magdeburg, Rostock, and the new airport Berlin is years behind schedule, it may never open :?
The Germans are not always so efficient but building unnecessary airports created lots of work