After A Tour ... Lacking Motivation to Go Out Cycling

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
iandriver

Re: After A Tour ... Lacking Motivation to Go Out Cycling

Post by iandriver »

I regularly need to mix the bag up to keep things fresh and new.

Some ideas:
1. Change the ride type, give some off road a go if you don't already, explore those bridleways.
2. Try an Audax.
3. Combine the ride with something else. i.e, take some binoculars and lunch and head out to a British Wildlife Trusts reserve or something similar.

Basically, anything to stop it being about cycling for the sake of it.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

On a long tour, I find that I can keep going day after day and often don't want rest days. In fact I sometimes think single rest days do more harm than good. Better to have shorter days without any rest days.

Once I stop, then after a day or so I can start to feel really knackered. I just put it down to it all catching up with me. Takes a few days or weeks and I consider my tiredness, etc to be the result of the effort I have put in. I sort of enjoy being able to be justifiably (and maybe a bit sanctimoniously) lazy.

Want a cure - take a coach tour holiday. After a couple of days you will be desperate to get back on your bike.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

After touring, I usually feel inspired to ride my bike.

When I struggle, it's usually getting up early after going to bed a bit late, the daily grind, busy doing stuff with & for the kids, bad weather, etc. It seems easier to get an extra half hour sleep, or be able to use the time to get my work done (and hours for the week).

What does help is setting myself goals and sticking to them. Getting all the stuff ready the night before, planning around being on the bike, etc.

Also, I often use the bike for things in the afternoon and evening. Parking is expensive in our town centre, which discourages me from taking the car needlessly. Once I'm out, if it's nice out, sometimes I want to take a ride up the valley or something.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Psamathe wrote: really dull and boring. Knowing exactly what was round every bend, knowing exactly how many miles to go from any point on the ride, knowing exactly where I'd finish the ride, etc.. ........ how to inject a bit of interest into cycling in an area you know really well?

I find the same, though in my case it's been the downside of returning to the local area after several months working away, during which I'd be riding throughout the Vale of York, Yorkshire Dales et al every week, experiencing a stunning part of the country.

While the area I've returned to is fantastic in many respects, I do know every mile within a 30-40 miles of my curremt abode. And as a result a ride can be dull & boring - for a good 4-5 years or so, I've had to aim for a 100 mile round ride in order to enjoy "new country" (Nb. There are benefits in knowing the local area inside out, such as instinctively knowing the easiest, quickest route home when I'm too tired to bother to ride at speed!).

My approach has been largely to stop going through the motions of a virtually daily local ride. I head to the pool/gym/run for exercise rather than a routine quick twenty on the bike and tend to head off on the bike on those days I can't really be bothered to push myself with exercise elsewhere. Last Wednesday and Saturday were fairly typical - too knackered to head down the gym, so jumped on the bike, ended up with a decent 52 miles on the Wednesday and 76 on Saturday, both rides with an original ulterior basis - had to drop my work shoes off to the cobblers 26 miles away for a new sole!

And tried another approach last summer, which proved to be great - took advantage of ultra cheap, in advance train tickets, to head off a 100 miles away, giving myself the day to get home often through only half known countryside. The huge advanatge of a day cycling in superb, half unknown country, without the burden of panniers or the cost/discomfort of camping out.
Si

Post by Si »

Have to say that I get the opposite - I can't wait to get out and express my improved stamina and speed on the local routes - problem is that the bike is normally having post-tour revival surgery!
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

My 2 month tour really screwed me up in many ways.

It's a recognised condition/ consequence.

Several guys on crazy guy helped me through a tough patch.

Lack of motivation to cycle again was just one of the consequences.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

simonhill wrote:On a long tour, I find that I can keep going day after day and often don't want rest days. In fact I sometimes think single rest days do more harm than good. Better to have shorter days without any rest days.

Once I stop, then after a day or so I can start to feel really knackered. I just put it down to it all catching up with me. Takes a few days or weeks and I consider my tiredness, etc to be the result of the effort I have put in. I sort of enjoy being able to be justifiably (and maybe a bit sanctimoniously) lazy.

Want a cure - take a coach tour holiday. After a couple of days you will be desperate to get back on your bike.

Or try a cruise, something between heaven & hell :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Maybe 2 months is too long? I might have enough of it after 2 months.

I go for a few days or a week at the most (my kids are 9 & 12, so it's hard for Mr. V to look after them on his for longer).

I'm not suggesting doing that, but maybe 2 or 3 weeks at a time?

Or tour for 2 months, then take a break from cycling, but get other exercise, like swimming or walking, and set a goal for returning to cycling?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Vorpal wrote:Maybe 2 months is too long? I might have enough of it after 2 months.

I'm sure the "too long" point varies with many factors. for me I wanted to keep going and after returning my panniers stayed loaded and every day it was a challenge not to clip them back on the bike and head for the ferry again.

That said I was considering leaving the bike with a friend in France and booking a flight to the other side of the equator (as I really did not want to come back to the UK).

Ian
PH

Post by PH »

Psamathe wrote:If so, how to inject a bit of interest into cycling in an area you know really well?
Ian

I've been feeling like this for a couple of years, even without the long tour. I used to do loads of 20 - 30 mile rides, now apart from utility and some social rides I rarely go out for less than a full day. My mileage hasn't dropped, it's just done in less rides, often using the train at least one way. Even then I'll often struggle with the motivation, the hardest part is just getting out the door, even though I know I'll rarely regret it once I've done so. Some commitment - buying a train ticket, agreeing to meet someone, entering an Audax - can get me over that. I've also been collecting BCQ points, adds interest and structure to a ride and breaks the routine, it's led to some unexpectedly enjoyable routes.
Good luck
skelo

Post by skelo »

I know that feeling, I was the same after my 2 month tour in 2017, I was ready to go again this summer but don't seem to have accrued sufficient brownie points from the wife yet!
Graham

Post by Graham »

gbnz wrote: . . . And tried another approach last summer, which proved to be great - took advantage of ultra cheap, in advance train tickets, to head off a 100 miles away, giving myself the day to get home often through only half known countryside. The huge advantage of a day cycling in superb, half unknown country, without the burden of panniers or the cost/discomfort of camping out.

Nice idea !
MartinBrice

Re: After A Tour ...

Post by MartinBrice »

meic wrote:I recognise the problem and dont know the answer.

Me too.
After a fortnight at home I have itchy feet.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I've just packed for my next trip. I have no problem with getting motivated about going and the way the weather has changed toady is vindication that I am doing the right thing.

My only real problem with 'the next trip' is all the hassle of packing and other preparation (making sure all bills paid, emptying fridge, SORNing vehicle, etc, etc). Then there's getting to the airport. As I am lucky enough to do this a few times a year I find this bit very tedious.

Once I've checked in for my flight, it all seems worth it. Korea here I come.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Just got back from a ride from Seattle (home) to San Fransisco. The first couple of mornings at home my first thoughts on waking were: Where's the bathroom? and Where do I want to get to today? The first one is just old age but I miss the second. Like you I'm finding it hard to get back on the bike again.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West