No More Extra 9 Months on Passport After Early Renewal

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
meic

Re: No More Extra 9 Months on Passport After Early Renewal

Post by meic »

Nothing substantial is changing.

Yes it is, under the old rules my next passport would expire Sept 2029. Under the new rules it will expire February 2029. I will have to renew the present one in February in order to use it in April 2019 because it expires Sept 2019. New rules mean that overlap is lost rather than passed on.
Yma o Hyd
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Bmblzz, there are very few countries where you can use your passport up to expirey date. Most insist on 6 months validity. This means you have to renew with more than 6 month still to run if you want to travel. Next passport will be 10 years from renewal, so loss of 6 months or most likely a littlle bit more.

New passport again will need to be renewed at least 6 months in advance.

If you travel regularly so need to renew promptly, then the new post Brexit passport is only valid for 9½ years or less.

The extra time given was a nice perk, it's just a shame to loose it.

Of course, to put this in perspectivey my last passport cost nearly £100 (big size) , so only an extra fiver or so for 6 months, but this Brexit gain was not on the side of the bus alongside the extra 250 million for the NHS.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What do politrickians do, they are travelling so frequently, do they have to surrender their old passports before getting new ones? What if one has to travel at short notice?

What about sportspersons, cyclists, footballers?

+1 for Schengenland!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have been to the US with a passport with about 6 weeks remaining when I arrived.
I then had another trip a few weeks later, so went to a local passport office to get the passport renewed 'while-u-wait' between the trips.

If the passport is valid then it should be valid, and I'd really question any immigration official who said otherwise - assuming of course that your return trip is booked.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonhill wrote:Bmblzz, there are very few countries where you can use your passport up to expirey date. Most insist on 6 months validity. This means you have to renew with more than 6 month still to run if you want to travel. Next passport will be 10 years from renewal, so loss of 6 months or most likely a littlle bit more.

New passport again will need to be renewed at least 6 months in advance.

If you travel regularly so need to renew promptly, then the new post Brexit passport is only valid for 9½ years or less.

The extra time given was a nice perk, it's just a shame to loose it.

Of course, to put this in perspectivey my last passport cost nearly £100 (big size) , so only an extra fiver or so for 6 months, but this Brexit gain was not on the side of the bus alongside the extra 250 million for the NHS.

Yes, it was just a perk. Losing it is not the rip off it's being presented as, nor - contrary to what some media reports have said - will it result in people being stranded, as long as they look at the expiry date. The validity of documents already issued is not being retrospectively altered, no matter what some would have us believe!
jadakabj

Post by jadakabj »

oddly enough I was considering the implication of having to have maybe 6 months left on a passport after arriving in a foreign country. But if I don't want to renew (which I don't, for various reasons) does it mean I have to stop travelling 6 months before the passport expires?

John
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The passport is still valid, but certain countries will not let you enter with less than 6 month validity. Not sure what percentage, but most countries I go to insist on it.

I've never heard of anyone being refused entry, but I'm sure it happens.

Another problem is that as it is a six month on entry rule, if you get say 3 months entry stamp with say 7 month on your passport, then you could be leaving that country with less than 6 months. This would then restrict where you could move on to.

The bottom line is check any country you are thinking of travelling to. Also if travelling then it is probably prudent to renew at least 6 months before expirey. 6 months you now loose, thanks Brexit.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:So what? A few months the here or there over a decade is insignificant.

I must concur with ones views about the wonderfully efficient passport office *cough*

Two ships have the same product, one at £10, one at £9.50.

Which would you purchase?

It is 5% (or more)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

simonhill wrote:The passport is still valid, but certain countries will not let you enter with less than 6 month validity. Not sure what percentage, but most countries I go to insist on it.

Another problem is that as it is a six month on entry rule, if you get say 3 months entry stamp with say 7 month on your passport, then you could be leaving that country with less than 6 months. This would then restrict where you could move on to.

The bottom line is check any country you are thinking of travelling to. Also if travelling then it is probably prudent to renew at least 6 months before expirey. 6 months you now loose, thanks Brexit.

Ironically not the only worry, it will be the visas, the customs, European Driving license and other barriers

I will be one of the many applying for an Irish Passport
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What do politrickians do, they are travelling so frequently, do they have to surrender their old passports before getting new ones? What if one has to travel at short notice?

You can get a passport same day. How easy depends on where you live. You have to go in for an interview (which is actually just checking your paperwork), pay quite a surcharge over the standard renewal fee then you can collect your new one 4 hrs later.

I've never done the same day, but did do a 1 week deal which was a pain as I live a fair distance from the nearest office. The "interview" is nothing more than checking your paperwork so a bit of a waste of time. They said 7 days (and warned me that as my "interview" was after midday that day did not count) and I had the new one a few days later (delivered by courier). Cost extra (not as bad as same day) and it worked.

Ian
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
What do politrickians do, they are travelling so frequently, do they have to surrender their old passports before getting new ones? What if one has to travel at short notice?

As long as you can justify it, you can have 2 UK passports. This enables you eg, travel on one, while waiting for a visa on the other one; or if you go somewhere with stamps that are unacceptable in other countries, etc.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonhill wrote:The passport is still valid, but certain countries will not let you enter with less than 6 month validity. Not sure what percentage, but most countries I go to insist on it.

I don't think this is anything to do with Brexit.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

simonhill wrote:Cyril Haearn wrote:

As long as you can justify it, you can have 2 UK passports. This enables you eg, travel on one, while waiting for a visa on the other one; or if you go somewhere with stamps that are unacceptable in other countries, etc.

Justify it, do you mean convince the authorities? Do the two passports have the same number? Could be a big fraud risk
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
simonhill wrote:6 months you now loose, thanks Brexit.

I don't think this is anything to do with Brexit.

The change was effected following a review related to Brexit - hence no Brexit, no review, no change. I couldn't say that something else might have at some date triggered a review.

.....and from HMG:

When we initially contacted the Home Office on Wednesday it refused to officially confirm there had been any change in policy, but documents released a day later explained the change has been made as part of preparations for the UK to leave the European Union.

Cyril Haearn:https://pointstobemade.boardingarea.com/2018/02/22/getting-a-second-uk-passport/
Redimps

Post by Redimps »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
simonhill wrote:Cyril Haearn wrote:

Justify it, do you mean convince the authorities? Do the two passports have the same number? Could be a big fraud risk

The passports are completely separate documents, separate numbers and usually separate expiry dates by the nature of them being applied for at different times.

Usual justification is a letter from your employer why you need an additional passport - as stated, could be conflicting entry stamps or very frequent travel which would be impacted whilst applying for Visas etc. Sometimes you'll have to attend an interview like a first time applicant - one of my former colleagues called one of his passports his "Axis of Evil" passport - lots of Middle East entry stamps so he never used it to enter the USA! Personally I decline having a second passport as that gives me a forced break from Business Travel whilst applying for Visas!

Not sure what the big fraud risk is?

For me, the 'gotcha' of this change is as I understand it is my passport that is 10 years and 9 months validity is now only 10 years if it cannot be used to enter Europe should we not retain current/similar arrangements. Once it is over 10 years old - on 9 years 364 days it has more than 6 months on it so presumably will be okay - but 10 years and one day, no good for entry?