No More Extra 9 Months on Passport After Early Renewal

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
meic

Re: No More Extra 9 Months on Passport After Early Renewal

Post by meic »

I thought that it would cease to be usable when it has 9 and a half years on it, which is a 15 months before it expires.
As it is only valid for 10 years from issue and must have 6 months left when you enter.

But only if we have a "no deal" Brexit.
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:I thought that it would cease to be usable when it has 9 and a half years on it, which is a 15 months before it expires.
As it is only valid for 10 years from issue and must have 6 months left when you enter.

But only if we have a "no deal" Brexit.

No, it remains usable for reentry to the UK during the period being stolen.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Passport renewal

Post by 661-Pete »

Since I'll be abroad next June/July, and my passport expires during that period, I'd been planning to renew it in good time - possibly next month - seeing as many countries require at least six months' remaining time anyway.

So I was a bit shocked to discover this. Seems you now lose out on early renewal. So - should I gamble and leave the renewal till as late as possible - and risk being caught up in the summer holidays rush?

Anyone else been duped by this? And anyone know what the turnaround time in - say - April/May, is likely to be? I don't need a visa for any of the countries we're scheduled to visit.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cunobelin

Re: Passport renewal

Post by Cunobelin »

It is even more complex than that!

I believe that the removal of the 10 months is because the EU will not recognise Passports beyond the ten year mark for non EU countries

Not only do you not get the extension, but you will also need an ETIAS visa

The advice is to get both as early as possible as long delays are expected in dealing with a rush of applications

... and ironically your Passport will NOT be Blue, and the only change will be the removal of the EU references
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

ETIAS does not, apparently as of now, come into force until 2021, but thanks for the heads-up! And if "no-deal" threatens, all bets are off. We may have to cancel our holiday. :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Its anecdotal, but the people I know who have done a simple renewal recently have had their passports back within a few days. If there are no changes it is usually very quick. I can't see this changing too much. Admittedly there will be more people renewing, but at the very worst, its only twice as many as usual.

Also, I recently got some texts from the Passport Office, at first I suspected a scam, but as they developed I think someone just gave a wrong (my) number. They got their passport (text of received application, passport sent out, etc) within a few days.

Renew in good time, but don't worry too much.

A true benefit of Brexit - well done chaps, we're running out of feet to shoot ourselves in.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cunobelin wrote:... and ironically your Passport will NOT be Blue, and the only change will be the removal of the EU references

Even when they do go blue, it will be a USA-style blue, not the old British very dark blue. Damn the 51st state wannabes leading Brexit! Anyone know if the changeover date has been set? After all, it's unrelated to our EU relationship because member stated can use any colour, as demonstrated by the Croatian blue regulat passports, or various countries using light blue for special passport types.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

willem jongman wrote:I guess because after Brexit EU countries will also begin to demand six months remaining validity.

.... and any extension over the ten years form date of issue
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mjr wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:... and ironically your Passport will NOT be Blue, and the only change will be the removal of the EU references

Even when they do go blue, it will be a USA-style blue, not the old British very dark blue. Damn the 51st state wannabes leading Brexit! Anyone know if the changeover date has been set? After all, it's unrelated to our EU relationship because member stated can use any colour, as demonstrated by the Croatian blue regulat passports, or various countries using light blue for special passport types.

From the Home Office (Dec 2017)

After Brexit, the UK travel document will no longer be required to conform to EU standards. So in a move to symbolise our national identity, the cover will be changing from the standard EU burgundy colour to a blue and gold design.

The new, unique blue passport will be one of the most secure travel documents in the world, with a raft of new and updated security features and technologies to protect against fraud and forgery. For example, the current paper-based picture page will be replaced with a new, super-strength plastic polycarbonate material that will be more difficult to alter.

Immigration Minister Brandon Lewis said:

Leaving the EU gives us a unique opportunity to restore our national identity and forge a new path for ourselves in the world.

That is why I am delighted to announce that the British passport will be returning to the iconic blue and gold design after we have left the European Union in 2019.

It will also be one of the most secure travel documents in the world, with a raft of new security measures to protect against fraud and forgery.

To save the taxpayer money, the newly designed passports will be introduced in a phased approach.

After the UK leaves the EU, burgundy passports will continue to be issued but with no reference to the European Union.

New blue and gold passports will be issued from October 2019, when the new passport contract begins, to those renewing or applying for a new passport.

There is no need for British passport holders to do anything ahead of their current passport renewal date.

The blue cover is a return to the original appearance of the British passport, with the colour first used in 1921. It remained the colour of choice until the UK joined the EU and the burgundy common format colour was agreed and adopted.

More details about the new passport will be announced when a supplier is appointed in spring next year.

I believe however there is a "while stocks last" position, so the change will only occur once all the Burgundy "blanks" are used
mjr

Post by mjr »

So, October. Thanks.

"The blue cover is a return to the original appearance of the British passport, with the colour first used in 1921" is just a blatant lie. It's not the same blue at all! The French company making them must be laughing themselves sick!

The colour was never a required EU standard either. Brandon Lewis is a trickster.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread resurrection alert

The Guardian reports that new blue uk passports shall be issued soon, in about eleven years the red ones shall be no more, minusplus?

'Perma-smirk'* Priti Patel holds one and looks smug

* the Guardian
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Made in Poland under EU rules :lol: :lol:

91893886-74F8-44EE-9A33-7F27FB6F180E.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Excellent news.
Heard about it on R4 earlier this morning.
No EU on them either. :D

I couldn't give a toss where they're made.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:Excellent news.
Heard about it on R4 earlier this morning.
No EU on them either. :D

I couldn't give a toss where they're made.

It was the UK choice to have red: we could always have had blue.
John