No More Extra 9 Months on Passport After Early Renewal

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
meic

Re: No More Extra 9 Months on Passport After Early Renewal

Post by meic »

On a historical note. My passport issued in 1999 didnt carry on the time left over on the one it was renewing and I lost 3 months there.
The 2009 one did carry on the surplus time from that one though. So it will be the only one of my passports that I have ever had the extra time passed on.

My first passport issued as a minor was not replaced on renewal it was amended by the addition of a new picture. They kept the expiry date as ten years from original issue despite me "renewing" it 3 months after its original five year date. So I still had to pay for the three months when I didnt even have any valid passport!
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:When I got my first passport, it was October 1969. I'd been in the navy a whole month by then! :D
It was a ten year passport, and ten years later in 1979, I had another.
I remember being told that "normal" people could only have five year passports and we were privileged.

I don't believe that it was fifty years ago that Joe Public generally had a ten year passport.
Maybe they could request one, but it wasn't normal or run of the mill.

You prefer a verbal comment by the navy (who have never misled new recruits...) to a recent home office publication. I'm not sure there's anything I could show to convince you!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

1968 – UK passports began to be issued with validity for ten years, double the previous validity.
I cannot comment on this fact, other than there's no qualifier of who.

Maybe we were told about the ten years because until 1968 (a year after I joined up) no-one had one.
We still do not know when Joe Public had one, only that ten year passports BEGAN to be issued in 1968 ......... but to whom?
I reckon I'm correct about Govt. Services and HM Forces.

I would be happy to read something in confirmation, but the above quote says nothing.
Mick F. Cornwall
meic

Post by meic »

I think that MickF is probably nearer to the truth than a superficial glance implies.
You just have to read what the official statement actually says and see what the existing situation was before the change.
It says that they began to introduce ten year passports which means in all probability that most passports held in 1969 and 1970 were still 5 year passports. The pre-existing situation was five year passports extended to ten on renewal. Does anybody know if they continued to honour that until all of those passports were expired? If they did then a lot of people would still have been having 5 year validity until 1973 and the last would disappear in 1978.
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:I reckon I'm correct about Govt. Services and HM Forces.

I would be happy to read something in confirmation, but the above quote says nothing.

Here's a company director's passport, issued 1968, 10 year validity https://www.papertotravel.com/MP-440

meic wrote:It says that they began to introduce ten year passports which means in all probability that most passports held in 1969 and 1970 were still 5 year passports. The pre-existing situation was five year passports extended to ten on renewal. Does anybody know if they continued to honour that until all of those passports were expired? If they did then a lot of people would still have been having 5 year validity until 1973 and the last would disappear in 1978.

Yes, it looks like it was a choice whether to pay the £1 for the extension stamp or to renew the whole thing at full price (which varied over the years) so it seems most people extended. Mick F's "normal" people could still have ten year passports from 1968 onwards, though.

Feel free to post anything contradicting but I'm out now.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I just checked my last renewal - 8 years ago.

Not only did I get a carry over of the six or so months outstanding, they even added an extra bit on - bonus.

Old one expired 03 Jan 2011, new one expired 24 Jan 2021

A bonus of 11 days, whoppeee!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:When I got my first passport, it was October 1969. I'd been in the navy a whole month by then! :D
It was a ten year passport, and ten years later in 1979, I had another.
I remember being told that "normal" people could only have five year passports and we were privileged.

I don't believe that it was fifty years ago that Joe Public generally had a ten year passport.
Maybe they could request one, but it wasn't normal or run of the mill.

Many people in trumpland do not have passports
One could holiday in a different state every year for fifty years, no need to go abroad or even learn another language
Plus One for the USA!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

You are all missing the important point.... they will be blue

....as will the ration books
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Starting Black Friday, or sooner?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mjr.
Thanks for putting me right. :D

Also, my ration book is brown. Still have it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Positive thread alert,+1
We are lucky in GB/EU, we may visit most of the countries in the world fairly easily, for people from poor countries it is much harder

We are lucky, we can apply from home, no need to wait at the PO like before

Feeling smug, just got a new passport (EU, +1!) don't have to think about it for 9.5 years :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What will UK passports look like after BF, Black Friday?
meic

Post by meic »

The same as now, the new blue/black ones dont start being issued until next October.
Yma o Hyd
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

This is simply media fuss. Nothing substantial is changing. Your passport is still valid until the expiry date marked in it and those countries which require at least six months unexpired validity on entry will still require that. All that is changing is on renewal of a passport, the expiry date of the new document will be ten years from its date of issue, as you'd expect, rather than ten years from the date of expiry of a previous document (which, after all, the border authorities at a country you enter know nothing about).
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote:This is simply media fuss. Nothing substantial is changing. Your passport is still valid until the expiry date marked in it and those countries which require at least six months unexpired validity on entry will still require that. All that is changing is on renewal of a passport, the expiry date of the new document will be ten years from its date of issue, as you'd expect, rather than ten years from the date of expiry of a previous document (which, after all, the border authorities at a country you enter know nothing about).

Except for the UK, so you could still use those passports to return in those extra months, so those months still have value.