Touring Cycle computer that works with cycle.travel and has wifi/bluetooth

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
BeardyWeirdy

Re: Touring Cycle computer that works with cycle.travel and has wifi/bluetooth

Post by BeardyWeirdy »

I use the OTG adaptor mentioned above. I have a 10 cm cable that can transfer the data (with the OTG bit) and doubles up as a charging cable. I have created routes with Richards fine site on my phone in the middle of nowhere, and moved them onto my etrex 30 with no problems
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

RickH wrote:With an android device (I don't know if you can do the same with Apple) if you get on "On The Go" (OTG) adapter, which should cost less than £5, you can directly plug in a Garmin & access its internal memory. From, say, cycle.travel in a browser you could save a GPS file (I usually use TCX) directly into the relevant folder (Garmin/New files for most, if not all recent units).

Similar may work for other make but I've not tried as I only have a Garmin.

Good tip but it's not foolproof I fear. I bought an OTG cable and it only worked fitfully with my Lenovo tab. Then it appeared that it might be some sort of power issue so I bought an OTG cable with an extra plug in to allow a powerbank to be plugged into the system. It worked sometimes, but other times my Lenovo android tab flashed a warning on screen about some sort of power/heat overload so I had to shut everything down.

I don't need the solution now though as I bought (see above) a neat little Chromebook which isn't a lot bigger/heavier than many 10 inch tabs. And has a keyboard to make route planning easier. And way better battery life. I have an established methodology for producing and editing routes with this set-up as my main computer these days is also a chromebook. Thanks to alyrpal of this forum.
Sweep
MattH

Post by MattH »

I have recently switch from tablet (originally laptop) to phone when cycle touring. The OTG cable works well for me and routes are pretty easy to create on cycle.travel (transfer gpx format to my etrex 30x). Also have bought OsmAnd+ on the phone so I have a backup with the routes on it and more details should I need facilities on the way. Pretty happy with this setup and have stopped taking paper maps entirely - would buy a map on the way of one of the devices failed.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Whichever "dodge" is used I'd say there are a fair few posts pointing mrsh at the ,"old tech" etrexes.
Sweep
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Sweep wrote:Whichever "dodge" is used I'd say there are a fair few posts pointing mrsh at the ,"old tech" etrexes.

Yep, I've noticed. I was googling the iPhone Hooks ups. I will reboot the touring plus and see if I can get it functioning better- I still won't like it but then I have the sell or live with optioN I Guess. There is a certain amount of "you want something else" -I got ill on this trip and it reminded me of the best laid plans thing-so relying on pre-loading is all very well but you're buggered (local Devon speak) if something goes wrong. I reckon that a final map check and, if necessary, upload, the night before each day's ride will cover most stuff unless you fall off or there's a major diversion. I found that if I was actually looking at my next day's ride sometimes I found route tweaks that I hadn't noticed or worried about when looking at the bigger picture and preplanning at home.

Sorry about the whacky typing, I keep flipping the keyboard to Italian.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

MrsHJ wrote:
Sweep wrote:Whichever "dodge" is used I'd say there are a fair few posts pointing mrsh at the ,"old tech" etrexes.

Yep, I've noticed. I was googling the iPhone Hooks ups. I will reboot the touring plus and see if I can get it functioning better- I still won't like it but then I have the sell or live with optioN I Guess. There is a certain amount of "you want something else" -I got ill on this trip and it reminded me of the best laid plans thing-so relying on pre-loading is all very well but you're buggered (local Devon speak) if something goes wrong. I reckon that a final map check and, if necessary, upload, the night before each day's ride will cover most stuff unless you fall off or there's a major diversion. I found that if I was actually looking at my next day's ride sometimes I found route tweaks that I hadn't noticed or worried about when looking at the bigger picture and preplanning at home.

Sorry about the whacky typing, I keep flipping the keyboard to Italian.

iPhones might be more restricted as far as connectivity through cards goes. Apple's own USB adapter as well as their SD card adapter both seem to be tied into their photos app - plugging in the SD card adapter with an SD card will fire-up Apple's photos app on an import screen to import photos from the card. Restricted even to the point where a lot of Adobe Lightroom mobile users are complaining as they'd prefer the photos import directly into Lightroom but Adobe seem blocked from doing this by Apple (I'd join their complaints but I can't be bothered and I doubt it would change Apple's policies anyway).

Certainly used to be the case that hardware connecting to the Lightning port was tied to a specific app (i.e. you can't manufacture a lightening-RS232 serial adapter and allow it to be used as a generic serial adapter (caused issues with telescope control apps/hardware).

But Apple do change their policies so who knows and I only have recent experience of the Apple SD card adapter and I did test the USB adapter but it was only for backup and I didn't use it in practice).

There are Wi-Fi SD card adapters available and a massive range of 3rd party stuff that I'm not aware of.

Ian
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Some useful info here - I updated my bike touring route planning guide (https://github.com/rcw5/tutorials/tree/master/bike-touring-route-planning) with instructions on using Garmin Connect.

My recommendation for getting data off your iPhone/iPad and onto a Garmin is to use a WiFi SD card reader, like the HooToo tripmate nano (£19.99 on Amazon). It creates a wireless hotspot which you connect your iOS device to, then you can transfer files using an app such as Goodreader.

On my last trip I created routes on my iPad using the MapOut app (with maps saved for offline use) then transferred them to my Garmin via the tripmate. Worked a charm and next time I'll leave the iPad at home and use my iPhone instead.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Thanks for all the info everyone. I've downloaded some of the iPhone apps that map to the devices to investigate further.

I can also see that if I was to get the garmin to do the transam I'm planning on starting next may I'd be better getting the USA version as I'd need to download £600 of garmin maps onto the European version! :0

Edit looking at dcrainmaker to see what the free options are!
Kernowboy

Post by Kernowboy »

MrsH, I have used the guidance in the attached link to download openstreet cycle maps of Thailand,Vietnam and Cambodia on my Garmin Edge Touring, using a new SD card as it suggests. I am no IT wizard and I found it very straight forward. Its free, other than a new SD card. Hope this helps. Good luck with the TransAM

http://www.cyclingabout.com/free-maps-o ... armin-gps/
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

MrsHJ,
I've been playing around with the possibility of being able to create routes totally offline and transferring them to my gps device (Wahoo Elemnt) again with no wifi/data connection.

The idea is to have an (emergency/back up) option that will work irregardless of phone or tablet connectivity.

There is an interesting discussion here https://www.bikeforums.net/electronics- ... ablet.html , although it is based around Android devices and I understand you use Apple? In which case, the HooToo option explained above should help.

The options mentioned should also work for the older Garmins mentioned such as E-trex.

As for the Garmin maps, as pointed out above, there are places to download compatible maps for free.

I did try a Garmin Touring unit but disliked it intensely.

I always find it helpful to break down navigation into two steps -
1) Planning
2) Execution

For planning different apps work better than others, and similar for execution. A good route planner will be let down by a bad device and poor route planning cannot be saved by an excellent device. The trick, in my opinion, is to match the software/app with your needs and similarly the device.

Best of luck!
irc

Post by irc »

MrsHJ wrote: (I'm liking EU roaming- wasn't very good in Italy but excellent in France and Switzerland).

If you can get the Three network on your phone they include the USA in the free roaming area.

MrsHJ wrote: PS Next tour likely to be first section of US variation transam route next May-ish. I've decided to break it up into 4 sections as I am not sure I'll keep going for 3 months non-stop. So section one outline plan is Washington DC to St Louis, MO.

What route are you taking from DC. If it's the C&O canal and the railtrail to Pittsburgh PA the navigation is pretty simple. I did it on paper maps with no back up. Though my next USA tour where I used paper maps and phone with google maps was an improvement as I could confirm my location any time I wasn't sure.

Google maps of course works without a phone connection if you download maps first.

I found once past Pittsburgh paper maps were fine as the road system was simple and mainy well signposted so I didn't need large scale maps.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

irc wrote:
MrsHJ wrote: (I'm liking EU roaming- wasn't very good in Italy but excellent in France and Switzerland).

If you can get the Three network on your phone they include the USA in the free roaming area.

MrsHJ wrote: PS Next tour likely to be first section of US variation transam route next May-ish. I've decided to break it up into 4 sections as I am not sure I'll keep going for 3 months non-stop. So section one outline plan is Washington DC to St Louis, MO.

What route are you taking from DC. If it's the C&O canal and the railtrail to Pittsburgh PA the navigation is pretty simple. I did it on paper maps with no back up. Though my next USA tour where I used paper maps and phone with google maps was an improvement as I could confirm my location any time I wasn't sure.

Google maps of course works without a phone connection if you download maps first.

I found once past Pittsburgh paper maps were fine as the road system was simple and mainy well signposted so I didn't need large scale maps.

Not entirely the C&O as there are some problems at the moment. https://cycle.travel/map/journey/80242

THe three idea sounds good. At the moment I use my work iPhone so fine in Europe as I was well within my data allowance but I wouldn't want to abuse it in the USA. So having a personal one on theee might be a possibility.