Cycling Africa to Europe

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
RickH

Re: Cycling Africa to Europe

Post by RickH »

Helen Lloyd's book Desert Snow would give you a flavour of the west coast route (albeit she was travelling South).

Mark Beaumont's "Africa Solo" - his account of his record setting ride from Cairo to Cape Town (somewhat quicker than Helen's ride) - would give you some idea of things on the East.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I'd love to cycle through Zimbabwe following my recent trip there (although clearly not consistent with your plan to cycle the west coast). What's your outline route countries wise?

I had a recent warm showers guest who is heading down the east coast once she's finished south east Europe. She's having the debate about what links there are in the Middle East to get her to Egypt so I can see the attraction of doing the western side at present and the ferry to southern Spain.
pq

Post by pq »

Look up Peter Gostelow, he's done a lot in Africa.
One link to your website is enough. G
Heating

Post by Heating »

MrsHJ wrote:I'd love to cycle through Zimbabwe following my recent trip there (although clearly not consistent with your plan to cycle the west coast). What's your outline route countries wise?

I had a recent warm showers guest who is heading down the east coast once she's finished south east Europe. She's having the debate about what links there are in the Middle East to get her to Egypt so I can see the attraction of doing the western side at present and the ferry to southern Spain.

I'm planning on cycling all along the west coast of Africa, ending in Morrocco, crossing in Gibraltar to Spain. From there all the way to the UK. My return trip would be all long the east coast of Africa. I would love to cycle through Zimbabwe to see the ruins of the great Zimbabwe. ( Possibly, according to recent research, The Mines of King Solomon.)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Definitely read Rians book that I referred to upthread before you do that . This isnt an easy option.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

I have duel citizenship/passports ie British and South African. As I understand it you are not allowed 3 different passports. When traveling in Africa, I use my SA passport, just about anywhere else I use my British one. Right now I’m in Argentina, part way through a bicycle tour from Rio de Janeiro to Canada, and will use my British passport the whole way. I have my SA passport with me, as I have to use that when I return to SA.
teampieusa.wordpress.com
Heating

Post by Heating »

Kapalasa wrote:I have duel citizenship/passports ie British and South African. As I understand it you are not allowed 3 different passports. When traveling in Africa, I use my SA passport, just about anywhere else I use my British one. Right now I’m in Argentina, part way through a bicycle tour from Rio de Janeiro to Canada, and will use my British passport the whole way. I have my SA passport with me, as I have to use that when I return to SA.
teampieusa.wordpress.com

Wow!!!! Good to hear you in my birth country!! How long did you plan this tour for? And what is the rest of your trip planned? Are you cycling alone or do you have someone with you? I plan to cycle alone, but surely wont be lonely, lol.
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

I guess I thought about it for about a year. I have no problem traveling alone, as you always make friends as you go. I should cross the border into Bolivia this week, then basically continue north till I reach Canada :D
Heating

Post by Heating »

Kapalasa wrote:I guess I thought about it for about a year. I have no problem traveling alone, as you always make friends as you go. I should cross the border into Bolivia this week, then basically continue north till I reach Canada :D

Wow!! Feeling envious but have my cycle tour to look forward to. You really an inspiration! Are you planning to visit Salar de Uyuni? If not, do try and pass by. Enjoy your travels and do keep us updated.
Kapalasa

Post by Kapalasa »

Heating wrote:
Kapalasa wrote:I guess I thought about it for about a year. I have no problem traveling alone, as you always make friends as you go. I should cross the border into Bolivia this week, then basically continue north till I reach Canada :D

Wow!! Feeling envious but have my cycle tour to look forward to. You really an inspiration! Are you planning to visit Salar de Uyuni? If not, do try and pass by. Enjoy your travels and do keep us updated.

Thanks, and yes I’m planning on visiting Salar de Uyuni. I’ll try post on here a few times in the next year, but feel free to follow my blog teampieusa.wordpress.com or Instagram teampietours Good luck with your planning and eventual trip
Heating

Post by Heating »

al_yrpal wrote:I suggest you read this book. That way you will avoid a lot of problems…

https://wordery.com/around-africa-on-my ... ZHEALw_wcB

Al

Thank you so much. I will be purchasing the book shortly.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Ethiopia was fun.
Honest.
I was there earlier in the year for 4/5 weeks.
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o= ... 20467&v=T2
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Heating

Post by Heating »

matt2matt2002 wrote:Ethiopia was fun.
Honest.

Oh really? Do give more info please.
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

Heating wrote:
matt2matt2002 wrote:Ethiopia was fun.
Honest.

Oh really? Do give more info please.

More info :?: You have read all 32 pages from the link?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Here is something I read recently on the BBC website about the difficulties for Africans travelling in Africa.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-45677447