Which tourer?!?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Herb, Norfolk eh?

Try Madgetts in Diss. Don't know exactly where you are but believe me, they are worth a visit. And they stock both Dawes and Fuji.

"Fat Birds Don't Fly" up in Hunstanton are O.K. but are more roadie' orientated.

Best of luck.
Lio

Post by Lio »

I took a bit of time to decide before buying a tourer. Like you I posted on here and got a lot of really helpful advice. I was swithering between an audax bike and a full tourer, in the end the best thing was to try them and see. I ended up getting an Ultragalaxy and absolutley love it. I had been commuting on an old aluminium Ridgeback and the galxy is just so much more comfy. I'm doing a big tour in June and looking forward to it.
I'm also 5'8" and I'll check my frame size, I never remember figures but I think Dawes have recently changed their sizes as there was some discussion about this in the shop when I was ordering the bike.
I'm sure you'll be happy with your final decision
Lio
Herb Robert

Post by Herb Robert »

pioneer:

"Try Madgetts in Diss. Don't know exactly where you are but believe me, they are worth a visit. And they stock both Dawes and Fuji."

Madgetts! Crazy video on there! It must be staged! The news link of some guy getting thrown off a bridge for knocking another cyclist off.

Just down the road from me, Thanks for the tip, I'll be there tomorrow! Despite googling bike shops norfolk they hadn't turned up... Diss is great! I love the auctions there....

Herb
Herb Robert

Post by Herb Robert »

Lio: "Dawes have recently changed their sizes as there was some discussion about this in the shop when I was ordering the bike."

Well Spa cycles were rather depressed about the new dawes frame sizes. Said they couldn't have thought it through. The 2008 frame are all on the large size apparently. He was going to have words with them!

Herb
Andy Lewis

Post by Andy Lewis »

Just back from my St-Malo to Cherbourg long-weekend trip - 223 miles. The Galaxy performed like a dream. Don't let anyone tell you they're slow. Managed 30mph on the flat a couple of times with panniers (though a nice tail-wind did help a bit).

As to size, mine's a 59cm. I'm just over 6ft (184 cms) with 33cm inside leg. My mates (at around 5' 9' each) found it too big when they tried it, so the 53cm for the 2007 model would be right for you. The 2008 model sizes are different (as the top-tube has changed to be inclined - more compact geometry). The new sizes are 54, 57, and 60, so 54 sounds right for you.

A word about the saddle that comes with the bike. I found it incredibly hard so changed it for my old well-worn one. I'm sure it would soften with use but it was a bit of a shock on first-time use.

Andy
Andy Lewis

Post by Andy Lewis »

....sorry. Further to my last post. There's a 57cm frame as well in the 2007 model, which may be OK...
Herb Robert

Post by Herb Robert »

Well guys I've bitten the bullet.

A galaxy 2003 trad geom (49cm) with front and back paniers for 500 squid. Can't say fairer than that. There are 3 left at the bike shed Crediton if there are any other vertically challenged folk out there. 29" stand over height should be fine for a short buttock like me.. I was wondering about the saddle Andy, and was thinking of getting a trusty brooks. Now which brooks? I'm used to a B66 on my sit up and beg antique but think maybe a flyer special would be a better bet for long hauls with a less upright position....

Any experience of the selle royal which is standard and the various brooks available?

I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives!

Thank you all for your expert advice!

Herb
vernon

Post by vernon »

Herb Robert wrote:Any experience of the selle royal which is standard and the various brooks available?

I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives!

Thank you all for your expert advice!

Herb

Brooks B17 - accept no other :wink:

The B17 has served be well on three different bikes i.e. three bikes and three B17s.

Comfortable from day one - even more conforatble after a several hundred miles.
noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk

Post by noel.shearer@uuplc.co.uk »

Something you might want to consider is that the Selle Royal has significantly more backward adjustment on the saddle rails than the Brooks.

I really struggled getting a comfortable fit on my Galaxy and ended up taking it to Hewitts in Leyland for a fitting. Paul resolved it by substituting a Selle Royal saddle and new seat pin which let me move 3/4 inch further back - Bingo! (NB problem was, my LBS had sold me a Galaxy in a frame size too small.)

Though I find the Brooks comfortable, I swear by the Selle Royal and am about to fit one to my lighter tourer - the Raleigh randonneur in preference to the Brooks.
Herb Robert

Post by Herb Robert »

I'll stick with the saddle,
What about stems, for a more upright position,
Any recommendations,
The Galaxy is super smooth, and effortless riding. Just like to raise the bars up a tad...

Have a good wknd everyone!

H
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Congrats, Herb. Enjoy the Galaxy.
There are adjustable stems available for A-headset types. Or, just put on one with more of a raise.Plenty out there.You'll get it spot-on soon enough. :wink:
Cyclefrance

Post by Cyclefrance »

I do a fair bit of touring each year. My old faithful has been showing signs of its age so I decided to invest in a new bike this year. Quite a daunting task. I wanted something strong, but wasn't so keen to have the heavyweight dedicated tourer solution. In the end, I bought a new bike making use of the Cycle scheme income-tax and vat-free purchase scheme for those on PAYE - there are very few strings attached that it worked very well for me.

So, with only £600 to spend net I was actually able to go for something twice as expensive and ended up buying a Tricross Comp Double http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=08Tricross, which I am really enjoying. It comes pre-threaded back and front to take panniers, is extremely light when not loaded, has great off and on road capability, a very comfortable riding position, double-up brake levers (so you can brake from the straight part of the handlebar as well as on the drops), and a great range of gears with very little doubling-up - I'm finding it difficult to fault.

If you don't qualify for the Cyclescheme, then the Tricross Sport Triplehttp://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32209 is substantially cheaper (almost half the price of the Comp Double) and a worthy alternative.

Try something slightly different - it's worked for me....
Herb Robert

Easy Rolling

Post by Herb Robert »

Dear all,

On my Galaxy Tour I have been easy rolling around Hollands wonderful Feitspadts and I love it!

Thanks for all your advice.
Happy rolling!
Herb
Cycletrax

Post by Cycletrax »

Herb Robert wrote:Thanks for all that! Not sure about DAs? Is that Dawes Appreciation Soc.

If any of you are around my height 5'8" with inside leg 30" crotch to floor perhaps you could give me your frame sizes and whether you are riding a trad geometry or something with a sloping x bar?

Any knowledge of the Fuji Touring!? It has some rave reviews from Aus and the States but I have been told the gear ratios are too high. More Audax than tourer?

Thanks everyone for helping me with this decision!

Off down the local bike shop to check out sizes of the Raleigh Royal at next op. Need to find some other touring bike dealers in Norfolk... Any ideas?

Cheers,

Herb.

I bought a Fuji Tourer, and although I have never owned a Touring bike before, I,m well happy with it. I bought it brand new off Ebay for £280 in 2006. Just needed to fit some mudguards.