Which waterproof mobile phone for touring?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
landsurfer

Re: Which waterproof mobile phone for touring?

Post by landsurfer »

I have a £9.99 phone with a £1 sim card and a £10 top up in the pack under my saddle. Once a month i charge it. ..... In 3 months i have never topped it up ... it's the emergency phone ... for major emergencies ... like multiple spoke breakages, falling off, bonking .... so never used .. But it makes Jules feel comfortable .... even though it's never turned on ......
Mobile phone generation ... :roll:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:Sort of connected subject ..................

I've ruined two phones in the washing machine in the last two years. One, a Samsung Galaxy, the other an iPhone.
Both were in a pocket of my my overalls .............. and washed.
Both have been knackered.

What I want, is a waterproof case for a mobile phone.

No,what you want is to check your pockets before you put things in the wash! :mrgreen:

Is there really a waterproof phone?
Or is it more reasonable to have a waterproof case for a phone ?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

An IP68 phone would survive washing without a case ... but ... Lies, dammed lies, and marketing ... all phones classed as IP68 are suspect.... 1 meter submerged for 30 minutes and still functioning ... not water proof ... still functioning .... mmmmmm :roll:
Be more Mike.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

landsurfer wrote:I have a £9.99 phone with a £1 sim card and a £10 top up in the pack under my saddle. Once a month i charge it. ..... In 3 months i have never topped it up ... it's the emergency phone ... for major emergencies ... like multiple spoke breakages, falling off, bonking .... so never used .. But it makes Jules feel comfortable .... even though it's never turned on ......
Mobile phone generation ... :roll:

similar to me a feature phone a Nokia 106. Nice and small put it in the pouch of my handle bar bag, havent topped it up in maybe 10 years, was until a few weeks ago on an very old O2 tarrif - 35p/min a call ( :shock: ) shows how old it was; now moved the account to a 321 one. Just have to remember to make a call every 6 months to keep the number active. If you have never used it landsurfer you might find your account and top up has gone as the 6 month actiivty is common, to keep an account alive
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Thanks for that ... im off to make a call ... :)
Be more Mike.
RickH

Post by RickH »

reohn2 wrote:Is there really a waterproof phone?

I've had a few Sony Xperias (I usually end up breaking the screen) that haven't suffered from being washed under a tap at fairly regular intetvals.

I've also got an Aquapac pouch/ case (but not used for a while as my phone "outgrew" it). I notice they are having a clearance sale on their model with a bike mount. With one of those fixed to your bars you can cycle in 10m of water safe in the knowledge that your phone won't get wet! :twisted:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Is there really a waterproof phone?

I've had a few Sony Xperias (I usually end up breaking the screen) that haven't suffered from being washed under a tap at fairly regular intetvals.

I've also got an Aquapac pouch/ case (but not used for a while as my phone "outgrew" it). I notice they are having a clearance sale on their model with a bike mount. With one of those fixed to your bars you can cycle in 10m of water safe in the knowledge that your phone won't get wet! :twisted:

I had a Sony Experia before my present Samsung J530 I initially went for the Sony(first smartphone) because of it's 'waterproof' credentials,never had the courage to test it's potential but didn't need to as it started malfunctioning after about 18months.
It would suddenly heat up like a handwarmer for about an hour before the battery went flat after the third time in six months when I was getting concerned it may sponcom(I used to switch it off and put it on the deck in the garden of a night)I ditched it and got the Samsung.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:An IP68 phone would survive washing without a case ... but ... Lies, dammed lies, and marketing ... all phones classed as IP68 are suspect.... 1 meter submerged for 30 minutes and still functioning ... not water proof ... still functioning .... mmmmmm :roll:

Showing my technological ignorance here but what's an IP68?
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:An IP68 phone would survive washing without a case ... but ... Lies, dammed lies, and marketing ... all phones classed as IP68 are suspect.... 1 meter submerged for 30 minutes and still functioning ... not water proof ... still functioning .... mmmmmm :roll:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

Thanks for that,you learn something new every day :wink:
W H Auden
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:
Mick F wrote:Sort of connected subject ..................

I've ruined two phones in the washing machine in the last two years. One, a Samsung Galaxy, the other an iPhone.
Both were in a pocket of my my overalls .............. and washed.
Both have been knackered.

What I want, is a waterproof case for a mobile phone.

seems to me you are going senile :wink: 2 phones :lol: :oops: maybe you need a case that you can tie around your neck?

According to "Rapid Response Brit Cop Motorway Interceptors" anyone who carries two phones is a drug dealer. The only possible reason is that one is for personal use, the other for dealing.