Do you find it harder to take risks as you get older?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
1982john

Do you find it harder to take risks as you get older?

Post by 1982john »

I think it's a well known phenomenon that younger people are more open to taking risks - which is both a good and bad thing. For myself, in recent years, I find it much harder to build up the courage to do overseas cycling. Something I loved when I was younger. Nearly all of my cycling now is done within UK & Western Europe.

Even though the statistician in me can calculate the risk is very marginal there seems to be some emotional side that overrides that with over empathizing every single thing that can go wrong. Maybe it comes from watching too much news - something I never really did in the past. Perhaps it is rational and the world is much more dangerous than 15 years ago though I don't believe that.
landsurfer

Re: Do you find it harder to take risks as you get older?

Post by landsurfer »

Very much a well known phenomenon.
I stopped ice climbing in my 40's when in a gully in the Cairngorms my responsibilities to others and my own mortality bounced off my helmet in the shape of a large lump of ice !
Recently had the opportunity to complete my pilots licence but at 60 why would I ?
I'll stick to cycling and kayaking ...... low risk activities as far as i'm concerned.
I've even given up alcohol to, hopefully, extend my time with the family ..... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

How long have you given up alcohol for? I think that when you're young, you're convinced that you'll live forever, then sometime around 50, when you see older friends, and actors/ musicians that you grew up with, so to speak, start to fall away, then the reality hits, and self preservation kick in. NOT for everyone tho, I'm sure there are some 80 yo adrenaline junkies out there, if you get to that age then what have you to lose.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Yes and no, I think that it changes.

The first thing is that as you get older you realise that. you have slowed down, and are not able to preform some feats you could when younger. You also realise that you break more easily and take longer to repair. Not a statsistical but natural process

The other is that in my case as I developed. other problems, my cycling was curtailed and I started travelling abroad far more than I did when younger. This time next week I will be setting off from Gatwick to Lisbon. 30 yers ago I had never even thought of travelling to a foreign city on my own with no real plans.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

yostumpy wrote:How long have you given up alcohol for?

3 months so far, i don't miss it, it was a chemical cosh .... but i'm not teetotal ... it's a choice not a lifestyle thing, i would never lecture anyone on enjoying a drink. Or 6 ....And being the only one sober at 2 in the morning at a party is it's own reward .... :lol:
Be more Mike.
PH

Post by PH »

It's an imagination thing, in your youth you can't imagine anything possibly going wrong and as you get older you can imagine everything that possibly could. I look back at some of the things I did in my 20's and sometimes find it hard to believe I'm the same person, though maybe as we get older we're not.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

For me, there is a combination of things....

-My body can't do as much, and trying new activities is likely to be more painful than it was 20 years ago.
-I have my family to think of, as well as what I want
-I am more aware o my own mortality

That's not a reason to sit at home. Quite the opposite; I am more liikely to make the effort now and go out and do something active, like riding my bike, or going for a walk. Touring by myself in a developing country, though... I wish I'd done more of it when I was young.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

1982john wrote:Perhaps it is rational and the world is much more dangerous than 15 years ago though I don't believe that.
Well, certainly some parts are more dangerous than they were. There was this event that happened a couple of months back:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/washington ... ay-austin/
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

landsurfer wrote:
yostumpy wrote:How long have you given up alcohol for?

3 months so far, i don't miss it, it was a chemical cosh .... but i'm not teetotal ... it's a choice not a lifestyle thing, i would never lecture anyone on enjoying a drink. Or 6 ....And being the only one sober at 2 in the morning at a party is it's own reward .... :lol:

So you've not 'given up'. more, 'cut right back'? So you now enjoy a small drink as a treat, rather than a lot, as a necessity? I'm trying this at the moment, but failing BIG TIME? Been trying to share a can of lager with swmbo, at meal times, but Friday popped out! and had 3 pints of 'Old Rosie @ 7.5% and a large bottle of french beer when I got in. Next day I thought to myself...'Why did I do that?' What in ME said I want a 3 rd pint.....then another bottle at home.. Is it a need for the alcohol? or glutony? What were your thoughts when you decided to slow down?
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Freddie wrote:
1982john wrote:Perhaps it is rational and the world is much more dangerous than 15 years ago though I don't believe that.
Well, certainly some parts are more dangerous than they were. There was this event that happened a couple of months back:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/washington ... ay-austin/

My theory is all this stuff was happening 20+ years ago but we never heard about it. It's only with 24-hour news cycles and social media that we all know about every monstrosity in a faraway land. I kind of buy into the Steven Pinker narrative the world is actually far safer a whole than it once was. Though of course, this does not mean universally everywhere is safer. Some places are better and some are worse.
Si

Post by Si »

Depends what kind of risk. When younger i was a lot more happy to chuck myself down stupid DHs on an mtb, or go out riding on ice without special tyres.

On the other hand, when younger i was a lot more worried about having a secure job, etc.The thought of working short contracts would have horrified me in my 20s!

I guess that as we get older we gain more experience of which risks really matter the most to us
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

yostumpy wrote:So you've not 'given up'. more, 'cut right back'? So you now enjoy a small drink as a treat, rather than a lot, as a necessity? I'm trying this at the moment, but failing BIG TIME? Been trying to share a can of lager with swmbo, at meal times, but Friday popped out! and had 3 pints of 'Old Rosie @ 7.5% and a large bottle of french beer when I got in. Next day I thought to myself...'Why did I do that?' What in ME said I want a 3 rd pint.....then another bottle at home.. Is it a need for the alcohol? or glutony? What were your thoughts when you decided to slow down?

I found that I just couldn't have the one .... one led to 2 , to 3 etc. No bottle opened ever sealed up ... and i only drink at home .... so i've stopped ...
Be more Mike.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'm not sure if I find it harder, but the advent of my pensions means I am able to go to less risky areas.

In the last few years, I have done a number of tours in East Asia (Japan, Korea & Taiwan). These countries would be considered to be less risky than places like India or Lao that were my previous staple. Likewise, Mauritius is hardly on the high risk list.

I am not going to these places because they are safer, it's just that I can afford them now. This is another factor of risk versus safe, safe often has higher standards of accommodation, food, etc. I'm getting to like the business hotel over the multi occupancy rooms in truck driver stops I used to stay in.

However, earlier this year, I happily cycled through the 'troubled' area of Southern Thailand, despite active terrorism and a clutch of bombs to 'celebrate' Chinese New Year.

On a different tack, modern technology has made touring so much easier and safer over the last 10 years. No more stepping off the plane with no more than a Nelles map and a copy of the Lonely Planet. Now I have internet in my pocket (WiFi permitting), and GPS on Google maps. Risk, what risk?

I am off to SEA for next 2 trips, so maybe I'll rough it a bit, although I don't see these countries as risks, just great places to cycle.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

1982john wrote:Though of course, this does not mean universally everywhere is safer. Some places are better and some are worse.
I suppose it depends where you want to visit. The ex-Yugoslavian countries are much safer than 20 years ago, but personally speaking, much of the muslim world I would give a swerve, just because of my increased knowledge of terrorism occurring in these places - whether or not it has actually increased is another thing, but for the time being it would occupy my thoughts too much, which would put a dampener on the experience.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

simonhill wrote:I am not going to these places because they are safer, it's just that I can afford them now. This is another factor of risk versus safe, safe often has higher standards of accommodation, food, etc. I'm getting to like the business hotel over the multi occupancy rooms in truck driver stops I used to stay in.
This is another thing worth mentioning. Who, in their later years, wants to be doubled over with food poisoning, chased by a pack of feral dogs or sleeping in some awful hovel? This is all, both the good and bad, exciting in one's youth, but some of it (like the food poisoning) can be potentially fatal in old age.