Return from the Arctic

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cyclop

Re: Return from the Arctic

Post by cyclop »

Spent 6 weeks in norway /sweden in 1972 bike camping.I used to stop every 25km,light a fire for brew/eat.I recall having to put on full (cheap) nylon cagoule and overtrousers,gloves and pulling the drawstring on the hood tight to combat mossies;be warned.May 25th onwards,working north to mo i rana,crossing over to sweden then south.No problem whilst biking.
Wag67

Post by Wag67 »

Well the forth of June is rapidly approaching, I fly to Kirkenes at 10-20 and arrive at 20-00. Wish me luck with the mosquitoes and the approaching storm at the weekend. I hate being hit by lightning, especially when there is no one around to administer CPR or put the flames out

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Wag67 wrote:Well the forth of June is rapidly approaching, I fly to Kirkenes at 10-20 and arrive at 20-00. Wish me luck with the mosquitoes and the approaching storm at the weekend. I hate being hit by lightning, especially when there is no one around to administer CPR or put the flames out

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my stupid phone.

Good luck! Take warm clothes, it hasn't warmed up for summer, yet!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Wag67

Post by Wag67 »

I’m hoping, I want it mozzie free

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Wag67 wrote:I’m hoping, I want it mozzie free

You will probably be in luck, then. I haven't seen any in the south, yet :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Wag67

Post by Wag67 »

Thanks for the good wishes, where abouts are you in Scandinavia?

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Wag67 wrote:Thanks for the good wishes, where abouts are you in Scandinavia?

Southern Norway, about 30 km from Oslo.
Wag67

Post by Wag67 »

I’m at Oslo airport at the moment waiting for my flight to Kirkenes, great weather we’re having

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Wag67 wrote:I’m at Oslo airport at the moment waiting for my flight to Kirkenes, great weather we’re having
That might have been summer, already ;)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Lots of mozzies in my garden yesterday. I hope the north is still cool enough to keep them at bay!
Wag67

Post by Wag67 »

I think summer was yesterday, 27 degrees and a killer 35 km/h head wind. Went over a pass that was just on the tree line and stopped in a village called Vuotso, apparently gateway to Lapland. Big thunder storm and the rain as bad today. Happy cycling in Scandinavia

Wag67

Post by Wag67 »

Well so far I’ve made it to Rotterdam, it’s been a great trip so far apart from coming off the bike on the first Saturday morning. I still can’t straighten my right arm and my rear brake blocks are nearly gone as I couldn’t use the front brake for a good fortnight(changing gear was done with the left hand as well which made things a little wobbly at times as well). Still, two days and I’ll be back in Blighty

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Sorry to hear about your off, but glad it has otherwise been a good trip.

8) Have a good journey home.