Ardrossan to Port Patrick

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
island girl

Ardrossan to Port Patrick

Post by island girl »

Planning to cycle the above following Sustrans Routes 73 then 7 to Maybole. Don't want to follow Route 7 inland. Is the A77 south too busy? Would I be better taking back roads e.g. Daily, Old Daily, Pinwherry etc south ? Any advise appreciated.
Tinnishill

Re: Ardrossan to Port Patrick

Post by Tinnishill »

I live in Ayrshire. The A77 south of Turnberry is over run with heavy motor traffic heading for the Irish ferries. The A714 between Pinwherry and Barhill is a lot quieter than the A77, but suffers from the occasional local going very fast. The NCR7 route through Galloway is very hilly and a bit rough in places.

I would go the way on this map, but it would take me a couple of days ;

https://cycle.travel/map/journey/82082

Good luck.
Agitate, educate, organise.
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

The NCN route from Ardrossan towards Ayr has some quite nice bits, although the sea front sections can be busy with pedestrian traffic, some of it is what you would expect of UK cycle infrastructure. I would probably go via Kirkmichael and Straiton to Glen Trool, then cut across towards Glen Luce and join the NCN route around there. It's not very direct, and would potentially require some diversions for shops, although there is a cafe at Glen Trool it might only be open in the summer.
island girl

Post by island girl »

Thank you Tinnishill andWanlock Dod for your replies. Think I will follow your route Tinnishill but get a lift to Maybole leaving me with a 50 mile cycle to Port Patrick. Nicely doable in a day. Looking forward to it.
island girl

Post by island girl »

Hi, completed my cycle to Port Patrick today, beautiful day with a tail wind, perfect. Followed the Old Dailly, Penkill,
Pinmore, Barrhill, Glen Luce road. Loved the open moorland with free range cattle and sheep often blocking the road,
Planning to now cycle and explore the Solway Firth area, Many thanks for info.