NEWHAVEN/DIEPPE TO LAKE ANNECY

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
dodger1

NEWHAVEN/DIEPPE TO LAKE ANNECY

Post by dodger1 »

Planning to cycle this route next May to meet up with the younger dodgers.
Anyone done this or part of it?
I'm guessing I could follow the Voie Verte towards Paris for some distance and I know there are a few canal sections that I could take.
Basically I'm an idle *************** so I like an easy time and prefer to stay away from fast traffic!
Any advice welcomed, including places to stay. Camping only as a last resort in good weather!
nirakaro

Re: NEWHAVEN/DIEPPE TO LAKE ANNECY

Post by nirakaro »

If you prefer to avoid traffic, it's probably best to steer clear of Paris. Heading roughly south from Dieppe, you can find quiet roads to skirt to the east of Rouen, then through Evreux and Chartres towards Orleans. Up the Loire to Nevers, then maybe Beaune of Chalon-sur-Saone?
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

dodger1 wrote:Planning to cycle this route next May to meet up with the younger dodgers.
Anyone done this or part of it?
I'm guessing I could follow the Voie Verte towards Paris for some distance and I know there are a few canal sections that I could take.
Basically I'm an idle *************** so I like an easy time and prefer to stay away from fast traffic!
Any advice welcomed, including places to stay. Camping only as a last resort in good weather!

I've ridden out of Dieppe ferry port many years ago along the D1 road which heads southeast. On the 1:200,000 Michelin maps it is a yellow road and this indicates it has light traffic. France has a very good network of quiet D roads in yellow or white on the above map. You can view these roads on the Michelin map site but the roads change colour depending on the magnification level. If you zoom to 1cm=1km (see bottom left of screen) the these roads are shown in yellow and white. https://www.viamichelin.fr/web/Cartes-plans Once you have zoomed in you can also select "Retrouvez la carte Michelin" (right hand side symbols) and this will give a map that show gradient chevrons < = 5% or more << = 10% or more which is useful for avoiding the hills. Note that the chevrons point up the hill not down (opposite of GB OS maps).

I stayed near Lake Annecy many years ago. It is a beautiful place and much nicer than Lake Geneva. Annecy is a lovely town.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I've ridden from Dieppe to Barcelonnette via Dreux, Meung-sur-Loire, Moulins, Ambert, Montelimar - quite hilly.
We went to the East of Rouen leaving Dieppe - there are plenty of fairly quiet roads and we didn't seek out the voie verte.
I presume you would go further North via Lyons. You could use the Loire/Rhone valley which would be flatter - there is a cycle route I think but I've never used it.
I've also ridden from Annecy to Lyons returning from the Alps. Not too difficult - some hills of course.
I generally find budget hotels suit my purpose ( Ibis budget, Premiere classe etc not Formule 1 except in extremis).
They generally have an early breakfast and basically all you can eat ( cereal, yoghurt, croissants, bread, cheese, jam, fruit juice, coffee etc - although if your preference is for a "full English" fry up you will be disappointed).
Generally you can put your bike in the room with no difficulty - although you may have to carry it up stairs if there is no lift.
dodger1

Post by dodger1 »

Ah yes, whether to go north or south of Paris?
Thanks for the info on the Michelin maps. I have plenty but they are all ancient, so basically worthless.
I like the idea of the Rhone Valley - not too many hills.
I have about 2 weeks, so flat is good, but I'll revert to a train if I'm a bit too slow.
sanderton

Post by sanderton »

Hiya, I did this a couple of years ago. Voie Verte from Dieppe and went to the E of Paris near Eurodisney. I was travelling light and fast, and drew a line on my map between Euro disney and Bourg en Bresse. I found some amazing roads, went straight through the grounds of Chantilly castle and had a wonderful ride. Whe I reached B en B I crossed the Jura to Oyonnax and then to Annecy. I actually met friends in Le Grand Bornand a bit further on. I stayed in Ibis Budget and small family places which I found on line. Having detailed maps meant I could just choose the straightest route, even narrow minor roads. I had no hassle and it's one of the best trips I've dever done, mostly on quiet roads.
dodger1

Post by dodger1 »

Thanks Sanderton. That's useful. Plenty of time to collect reasonably up to date maps.