Grwyne Fawr reservoir

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
fausto copy

Grwyne Fawr reservoir

Post by fausto copy »

We're staying in Crickhowell for a couple of nights next week and I plotted a ride up to Grwyne Fawr reservoir.
Looking at the map it's not quite clear (to me) if one can actually get as far as the reservoir on the minor road.
Streetview stops well short at a gate and I can't make out what the sign says.
Anyone know of access issues please.
fausto.
andrew_s

Re: Grwyne Fawr reservoir

Post by andrew_s »

You want to take the track on the right shortly after the car park. It's signposted "no motor vehicles except motor cycles".
https://goo.gl/maps/DkEtudErFCD2

The road (which looks to be signposted "no unauthorized access" in red just to the right of the gate) ends below the dam.

The track contours up the valley side and passes by the top of the dam wall. It degenerates from a jeep track to a footpath at the far end of the reservoir, but looks cyclable right over if you don't mind rough stuff. There's a tiny bothy by the stream immediately after the reservoir.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Thanks for that Andrew.
I'm not sure Mrs.Copy will enjoy riding that "jeep track" but I'm sure the views over the dam will be worth it for our picnic.
And the 700 metre climb will obviously mean a nice freewheel back. :wink:
fausto.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

The top bit is ruts and bog. Rideable most but not a freewheel. You can pedal to the dam or take the track to the right, as mentioned, into the hills. Bothy good for a break. However the path down is dead steep to the point that with snow a fatal fall is possible. No snow and its just steep.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

We've just got back from our trip there.
We enjoyed the cycle up the valley and got to the top car park OK, taking in the splendid autumn colours.
I walked up the right hand track for a few hundred metres, checking out the surface (rock and deep holes) and decided we wouldn't proceed, as we certainly wouldn't have been able to cycle it on our touring bikes and given we were wearing cleated shoes, and Mrs. Copy's bad hip, we thought it best to picnic there and ride back via Llanbedr.
Enjoyed the hot chocolate in the TIC too.

Thanks for your info chaps, we may need to call on you again, in our quest to ride as many roads in Wales as possible. :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

If you like walking too the Sugarloaf* is one of the best mountains, the car park is quite high up, easy to walk to

* don't know the Welsh name :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Siwgr torth would be a direct translation, but it's original name (according to you know who) is Mynydd Pen-y-fal.

I'm afraid we don't do walking any more.
My knees and Mrs. C's hips don't allow it.
Fortunately we can cycle for miles without any problems (cake being available, that is).