Cycling shoes for cold / winter use

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
carlislemike

Cycling shoes for cold / winter use

Post by carlislemike »

I'm sure someone has probably asked this before but I can't find the links. I have been out the last few days in quite sunny but chilly weather. I am no wimp but my current shoes have a mesh surface so my feet; after 30+ miles each day, were freezing. I don't clip in due to issues with arthritis in my ankles. I need something that is closed to the wind and rain. Any suggestions would be welcome. Mike
tatanab

Re: Cycling shoes for cold / winter use

Post by tatanab »

Exustar Stelvio are my spring and autumn shoes. Inexpensive too. https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b79s154p3 ... vio-SP-705
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

I saw these last year BUT can they be ridden without clipping in, ie as normal footwear? Thanks.
mjr

Post by mjr »

tatanab wrote:Exustar Stelvio are my spring and autumn shoes. Inexpensive too. https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b79s154p3 ... vio-SP-705

They look good. Any similar shoe with a mostly-solid leather-or-similar upper should work well. Decathlon and similar sports megastores usually have some and they're slightly cheaper without the SPD-shaped weakness in the soles.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Have you thought about "overshoes" ?
I use them when the weather turns cold and they certainly make a difference. You can get some that are just windproof or others that are waterproof.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

carlislemike wrote:I saw these last year BUT can they be ridden without clipping in, ie as normal footwear? Thanks.

Yes. They have a removable plate/insert that has to be taken out to fit cleats, otherwise they can be used a normal flat soled shoes. In fact, even with the insert removed and cleats fitted they still work fine because the cleat is well recessed. I use them on machines with toeclips and straps as well as those where I clip in.
robing

Post by robing »

cycleruk wrote:Have you thought about "overshoes" ?
I use them when the weather turns cold and they certainly make a difference. You can get some that are just windproof or others that are waterproof.

+1
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
tatanab wrote:Exustar Stelvio are my spring and autumn shoes. Inexpensive too. https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b79s154p3 ... vio-SP-705

They look good. Any similar shoe with a mostly-solid leather-or-similar upper should work well. Decathlon and similar sports megastores usually have some and they're slightly cheaper without the SPD-shaped weakness in the soles.

If you don't want to fit cleats any warm and waterproof footwear with a reasonably rigid sole should do.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
ossie

Post by ossie »

As stated stick overshoes on...or Toe thingys for that transitional use..they do other makes

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-toe-th ... 5745417896
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

+1 for overshoes. I have great ones we got in the Netherlands when touring in daily downpours. My shoes aren’t mesh though- just regular shaman (or shimano) ones.
yutkoxpo

Post by yutkoxpo »

I use regular pedals so wear regular shoes.
For winter, they'll be leather uppers and a stiff sole supplemented with an insulating silver foil that I fold to enclose my toes.
In very wet weather I'll use waterproof overshoes.
This works for me on winter commutes down to temps of -10 for an hour but also longer days touring (at warmer temps! :D )
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

IF you can afford them Winter specific shoes such as Specialized defroster, Northwave and Shimano do similar shoes , generally mountain bike style, but Shimano also do a hiking boot which can 2 bolt cleats XM9000 (Link Below) , which I believe are a favourite of Colin531.

The main thing about the winter boots is the cleat plate is outside the boot so lessens heat loss. They are not designed to cool the foot like Summer shoes so No holes or mesh to let the winter chill in.

I have pair of specialized defrosters which get used for the snotty weather, they are warm. Only word of caution is and applies to any of the boots or overshoes , socks poking out of the top will wick the rain in side regardless of how waterproof the boot is.

https://www.GetNastyComputerVirusHere.co.uk/sports-foo ... 41529.html
https://bicycletouringpro.com/winter-cycling-shoes/
NUKe

Post by dnrc »

i spent a sizable chunk of money a few years ago to buy some northwave arctic boots

never regretted it for a second
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Over socks make a big difference, have kept the wind out of my summer shoes this last week or so. I will be going back to my Defrosters all too soon, I got fed up of buying overshoes with dodgy closures and poorly fitting design.

For my touring shoes I have some Goretec over spats which work very well and are now nearly 15 years old!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

I have several options..
1- Sealskinz socks - waterproof
2- Northwave Winter mtb Boots ( water proof with high ' rubber ' cuff that prevents water running down your leg into the shoe.
3- Castelli Diluvio Overboots - made out of wet suit material - with cut outs on soles for clipless - I use on mtb on canal towpaths in winter

4- the cheapest - plastic bags gaffer taped over your shoes ....I don't resort to that but a work colleague who has a reputation for being the tightest person in the world --- swears by them !!

Just a few options to consider :D