Cycling shoes for cold / winter use

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
carlislemike

Re: Cycling shoes for cold / winter use

Post by carlislemike »

Overwhelming choices folks. I discovered a Sketchers outlet yesterday and leaver sports style shoes but not trainers for £49.00 approx. Seem a good choice and narrow enough if I need to use a front toe cage. Black or brown being default shoes but sensible, reasonably grippy soles for gripping pedals and the ground. Thanks for the input. Mike
britishjasper

Post by britishjasper »

Tin foil!
I've never tried this but I'm assured it is not a joke and is a genuine pro rider tip.... Wrap your feet (over your socks) in kitchen tin foil then slide into regular shoes! (20 mins at 180 degrees should do it, basting occasionally....)
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Have tried that solution two years back, success but not as good as clingfilm on top of the shoes. On the same day, I got friends to go into the nearby petrol station to get the freebie plastic gloves by the diesel pumps. They worked great under their own gloves. Simple solutions when desperate meausres were needed.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

+1 for the Specialized Defroster..I have 3 pairs and all are excellent. Mine are the MTB versions..can be slightly smaller than shimano sizing so try them on if you can. They are well insulated boots but it is worth leaving room for thicker socks as well...
Bill Reynolds

Post by Bill Reynolds »

I use hiking boots or wellys...works!
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Time was when you could buy fur lined cycling shoes. I have two, Crodoni boots and a racing style shoe, never use them because They have been left behind by Shimano winter bootees or good overshoes. Incidentally the best overshoe i ever had were a pair of wet suit bootees. Arctic thickness, just cut a hole in the bottom. No zips though.