Baltic Countries and Poland??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Woodtourer

Baltic Countries and Poland??

Post by Woodtourer »

Has anyone toured through the above countries? Would like to hear about it!
Thanks!
whoof

Re: Baltic Countries and Poland??

Post by whoof »

I have toured in Poland a bit.
Good campsite general with a shared kitchen. Lovely scenery in the mountains (Zakopane was very nice). Food in restaurant generally a large lump of meat with potatoes and cabbage as an extra. In cities there are 'milkbars' and buffet style cafeterias where you get a meal of the day or a plate and then choose from a selection of food. These allow a wider variety, especially of veg and salads and are really good value.
eileithyia

Re: Baltic Countries and Poland??

Post by eileithyia »

It's quite awhile. About 21 years. But we drove to Bialska Biala and camped for first and last night, leaving car at the campsite. Then toured southwards:- Tatras Zakopane (highly recommended) and into Slovakia. At the time Poland was well ahead of Slovakia in terms of choice and amount of food in shops. We did not always use campsites as we wild camped a bit, not so easy to find places.... May have changed but the roads were lined with farm land that was narrow strips leading back from the road with a house on it.. (if that makes sense?). Very friendly helpful people when we needed help with a couple of things.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells