getting skinny 650b tyres in europe?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
1982john

getting skinny 650b tyres in europe?

Post by 1982john »

I bike I'm looking at purchasing recommends I get the xs size which comes with 650b tyres. What concerns me about this - other than the resale value - is that I might find it near on impossible to walk into bike shop and get a replacement tyre. Can you get 650b 23-28 mm tyres in bike shops?
willem jongman

Re: getting skinny 650b tyres in europe?

Post by willem jongman »

Schwalbe do one, but I doubt you would find it in just any shop - they would be a special mail order thing. But why would you want to use tyres this narrow?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

willem jongman wrote:Schwalbe do one, but I doubt you would find it in just any shop - they would be a special mail order thing. But why would you want to use tyres this narrow?

Because it's a road bike? It's not so rare to find 650 wheels on junior and small size road bikes - maybe it's not a problem in the land of giants but there are plenty of vertically challenged riders in the UK where a 700c wheeled machine just wouldn't work well.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

If you want to go small, then why not go to 26 inch wheels. More of them around. I'm 6.2" but have 26inch wheels on both my touring bikes. You can get narrowish slicks for them pumping to 100psi if you want.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Gearoidmuar wrote:If you want to go small, then why not go to 26 inch wheels. More of them around. I'm 6.2" but have 26inch wheels on both my touring bikes. You can get narrowish slicks for them pumping to 100psi if you want.

It's not a matter of choosing - new bikes will be built for specific wheel sizes in mind so that brakes etc actually fit and work.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
1982john

Post by 1982john »

I do have a nice touring bike for fully loaded rides and lovely thick 26 inch wheels. But I also love to do fast and light touring for which this bike would be used.

I dont have the time or skills to do a self build and it just the case the extra small version comes with those wheels.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

That is fine, and not a bad idea at all. I am similarly considering/dreaming of a fast bike with 650b wheels for light touring. In my plan this would have clearance for the 42 mm Grand bois Hetre or Compass Babyshoe Pass tyres. You can get those from m-gineering in Holland and maybe a few other outlets. But do not count on the village bike shop. What is the maximum tyre width for the bike you are considering?
RickH

Post by RickH »

1982john wrote:I do have a nice touring bike for fully loaded rides and lovely thick 26 inch wheels. But I also love to do fast and light touring for which this bike would be used.

I dont have the time or skills to do a self build and it just the case the extra small version comes with those wheels.

What is your budget & might one of the Spa models fit the bill?

In another topic
531colin wrote:Its all very well using a smaller wheel, but it doesn't give you much in terms of toe clearance, because to get the same trail for any given head angle, a small wheel needs less fork offset. Rather than a smaller wheel, its much better to use a slack head angle because to get the same trail you need a longer fork offset.....and that's a win/win in terms of getting a short reach with long front centre. link
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Andrewlee1

Post by Andrewlee1 »

Whatever tyre size you ride the chance of being able to get a decent tyre in Europe will depend on where you are. Bike shops are few and far between and will be closed when you need one.

Make sure you’ve got descent tyres before you set off, take a folding spare and if you need one get an online supplier to deliver one to a local collection point.

You can probably get one if the bigger companies to get one to you next day.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

foxyrider wrote:
willem jongman wrote:Schwalbe do one, but I doubt you would find it in just any shop - they would be a special mail order thing. But why would you want to use tyres this narrow?

Because it's a road bike? It's not so rare to find 650 wheels on junior and small size road bikes -

650B would be rare though, if it is a road bike most will still be 650C which is a totally different rimsize and tyre in both size and style
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm