Winter sales. Time to choose

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MarcusT

Winter sales. Time to choose

Post by MarcusT »

I have seen some good offers on touring bikes and it may be time to invest into a "real" tourer.
Some background: I converted my MTB into a Tourer and even though very comfortable it is twitchy with a full load. Would also like to go to a bigger rim (700c). Disc brakes or V brakes does not matter too much. Tire width is important. At least 40mm. Not yet sure if I want drop bar or flat bar, but that is a n easy fix. Build up from frame is worth considering. The nearest dealer with any of these bikes is 4 hrs away, so a test ride would be very difficult
Current options:
Salsa Marrakesh
Surly LHT or Disc Trucker
Cinelli Hobootleg
Kona Sutra
Would like to hear your thoughts on what you think would be the better choice and why.
Thanks in advance

Cheers
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Gattonero

Re: Winter sales. Time to choose

Post by Gattonero »

Salsa and Surly ride very nice, though the LHT is a proper heavy-duty bike for long distances, if you want something a bit more nippy I'd look at the CrossCheck (just remember has a short headtube).
The Cinelli rides nice like do most of them bikes, but I'm not convinced by the Q/P since it's made in TW :?

Btw, wonder why the current bike feels "twitchy"? How do you distribute the weight?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
hondated

Post by hondated »

MarcusT wrote:Not yet sure if I want drop bar or flat bar, but that is a n easy fix.

Not so sure about that as I was told that whatever you choose affects the top tube length :wink:
1982john

Post by 1982john »

might be worth looking at some genesis bikes as they get heavily discounted around this time. They have Croix de fer for heavy touring and great clearance and the equilibrium for (steel with carbon blades) for lighter tours and more nimble.

Might also be worth keeping an eye out on the bikes sold on the for sale page on this forum as Ive seen some great deals for bikes with Rohloff hubs.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I have built in a mtb tourer and I cannot hot on with it!
700c all the way for me!
I have butterfly bars on it which I don't like either.
Maybe if you come MTBs then they are fine but drops are just so much more comfortable / asthetics.
It will serve as a pub bike!

Your choice will depend on the riding you wish to do.
Light or heavy touring?
One do it all bike or several.
Cheers James
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Gattonero wrote:Btw, wonder why the current bike feels "twitchy"? How do you distribute the weight?

I am sure it's the MTB geometry. When pedaling hard it veers right and left. Which does not happen on my other bikes. I really can not be surprised by this, after all, it was not designed for it.
Right now, I can pick up the Salsa fully built or a Surly frame. Not sure why only the frames are available in Europe, but it is, what it is.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Thanks for the input. I have not decided yet, but am leaning to building a LHT
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Marcus, PM sent.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

1982john wrote:might be worth looking at some genesis bikes as they get heavily discounted around this time. They have Croix de fer for heavy touring and great clearance and the equilibrium for (steel with carbon blades) for lighter tours and more nimble.

Might also be worth keeping an eye out on the bikes sold on the for sale page on this forum as Ive seen some great deals for bikes with Rohloff hubs.

The tour de fer is a better option for loaded touring. The croix de fer is better for lighter trips or bikepacking style touring IMHO.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I heard LHT is not as good for unloaded riding so as others said is this a do it all bike or just loaded touring?

Personally I've toured with a PX London road with rear pannier heavily loaded, large bar bag and a large frame bag. The last two bags were about trying to get weight more central or up front. The frame bag took some heavy but not bulky kit. Still very twitchy so this year a touring recumbent. Not twitchy at all. Basically comes down to a bike that's dialled in for what use you want it for. Makes a difference IMHO.

However the tour de fer seems OK unloaded too when we've test ridden them. However I'm not that good with subtlety of bike handling.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Tangled Metal wrote:
1982john wrote:might be worth looking at some genesis bikes as they get heavily discounted around this time. They have Croix de fer for heavy touring and great clearance and the equilibrium for (steel with carbon blades) for lighter tours and more nimble.

The tour de fer is a better option for loaded touring. The croix de fer is better for lighter trips or bikepacking style touring IMHO.

Good point the tour comes with a triple. The top end version even comes with tubas racks and a dynamo set up.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I decided to go with the LHT frame and build up. I contacted the vendor re; the frame size for flat bar and it should be good.
Components were a bit of a nightmare, for gearing. Was looking at 2X10, but ran into a few obstacles, settled for 3X9, but even there, could not find the correct mounting size for the front derailleur (28.6mm).
Should all work out and actually saved some money.

Thanks for the input
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Assume you bought one of shimano's shims for the slight front mech issue.
Sweep
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Sweep wrote:Assume you bought one of shimano's shims for the slight front mech issue.

I have several left over from previous front replacements.
Components are arriving now, still no sign of the frame and wheels. I know winter is coming, but I need something to do during the dark times
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Mission accomplished!!
I should have saved money, but with a few incorrect parts and deciding to upgrade a few, it cost almost the same as buying the complete bike.
But, this is MY bike. I chose each component, installed them and made sure they worked perfectly.
Usually when I buy a new bike, I always plan to change a few parts to my liking, not this time.

I had a friend of mine who is a racer look at it and the first thing he did, was criticize the third bottle mount. "You cannot reach it there while riding".
I answered, "that is why it is a touring bike, I stop whenever I please".

All good, I would like to thank everybody for their input, advice, and tech assistance.
Attachments
LHT complete.jpg