Wind direction in query

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bolex

Wind direction in query

Post by Bolex »

Hi I would like to cycle across the UK from gt Yarmouth to Birmingham anyone know is it best to go from East to West or West to East across the UK as unsure if there's a general wind direction
Psamathe

Re: Wind direction in query

Post by Psamathe »

https://www.windfinder.com/windstatistics/
Chose a spot (search field middle across top), then go to "Wind Statistics" and get the monthly predominant wind info.

Ian
oldun

Post by oldun »

Hello Bolex .....In general the wind blows from the south west ,and this is why our area ( i live in Lowestoft ) is in general , the driest area of England . Today you would have a great but cold ride to Birmingham with this easterly wind but in general it would be in your face .
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

It varies depending on time of year.

Whilst the prevailing winds across the summer are generally from the west, in the winter months it's very often a freezing blast from the east which is the source of much of the wintry weather.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

As a former graduate geographer, with a bit of climatology, I'm afraid to say it is pot luck.

The prevailing winds are indeed South Westerlies, but this just means they blow mainly from that direction (note dominant winds are different).

I live at the end of the Thames Estuary and reckon we get more Easterlies nowadays. Not empirical data, just how it seems. I used to windsurf and was very aware of wind direction, I now frequently ride (cycle) the seafront and am equally aware.

To make my point, I cycled the WW1 battlefront in June/July this year and had 10 days of North Easters. Hated the wind, loved the sun. Bet if I did it again it would be wet So'westerlies. That period was the start of the UK's warm spell and the winds were roughly from the East for much of the time. Prevailing So'westerlies, hmm!

If you are flexible, my advice is check the weather in the days leading up to the ride.
althebike

Post by althebike »

When I rode from jog heading west this year I was in to a strong headwind, past Thurso did a left turn and headed south into a headwind. I I tried a couple of b&b to be told they were full up, waiting for a cycling group to come up from the South, but they were delayed by a headwind. I am sure the law of sod plays a part here.Cycling quiet routes offers some protection with hedgerows . If a 15 mph ride becomes an 11 mph ride because of the wind so be it, I do not fight it anymore, I just stop looking at the speedo and carry on.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

oldun wrote:Hello Bolex .....In general the wind blows from the south west ,and this is why our area ( i live in Lowestoft ) is in general , the driest area of England . Today you would have a great but cold ride to Birmingham with this easterly wind but in general it would be in your face .
The weather systems generally run from SW to NW, not the winds. Winds can come from any direction.

Pick your date and look at Windy.com
https://www.windy.com/?51.496,-0.122,5
You can go just over a week into the future.
Mick F. Cornwall
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

The prevailing wind over much of Britain is from the west or southwest. As others have said you can get exceptions to the modal direction. If I was doing your journey based only on this criterion I’d start from Birmingham. easterlies can blow under anticyonicbconditions and are iften colder especially in winter. Cold northerlies are also possible again more common in winter.
mikeonabike

Post by mikeonabike »

Have a think about what weather conditions are associated with different wind directions. Generally in the UK, south-west winds come with wetter warmer weather whereas north-east winds come with dryer colder weather. My pet hate is riding into the rain so I would normally prefer to ride from SW to NE.

But you are riding across eastern England which tends to avoid the wettest weather, so maybe you would prefer to avoid the risk of riding into a cold easterly, especially if doing it at this time of year!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Maybe the question should be: Birmingham and Great Yarmouth, why?
Bolex

Post by Bolex »

Hi iv only been cycling a year and my parents live in Birmingham where i used to live before moving to norfolk .
Bolex

Post by Bolex »

Hi iv only been cycling a year and my parents live in Birmingham where i used to live before moving to norfolk . When I told them about attempting such a journey they laughed and said don't be so daft so I would like to prove them wrong I guess the longest ever cycled is 57 mile I normally cycle 17 mile 3 times a week this time a year and 21 miles three times a week in summer
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sounds like a good incentive to do it. It is surprisingly far, nearly 200 miles.

It always surprises me when you turn off the A1 onto the A14 and it says Harwich 100 miles. East Anglia is bigger than most people think. I've done a top to bottom, but never completely across.

Good luck.