India to China

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Conabike

India to China

Post by Conabike »

Hello everyone,

New to this forum. I want to plan a cycle ride from India to China. I have some cycle touring experience in Europe. Dream is to one day cycle the whole way to China from U.K. but unable due to work/reality of life. My work is seasonal and I’m able to take about 2months off between November-March. I still want to feel a real sense of journey and crossing continents/travelling to very different places and I think an India-China cycle might satisfy that...problem is I don’t know where to start with route planning. I would love to see some of the Himalayas also, Nepal/Tibet/Sikkim/Assam. Then maybe Bangladesh/Myanmar and onto Kunming in China.

In terms of my research so far I’ve had a look at the Adventure Cycle Touring handbook by Neil and Harriet Pike and just had a flick through cycling the Himalayas by Laura Stone - though I think it’s now fairly out of date as was written in 2008. Biggest problems are probably political - travelling freely across borders, independent travel in Tibet I know is now forbidden, and the weather - travelling in the winter months probably prohibit travelling some routes at higher altitudes.

Initially thinking starting in New Delhi, going up to the mountainous regions then dropping down and getting across to Kunming. If anyone could share any knowledge of this part of the world, has any route suggestions or could even point me towards some further reading I’d be really grateful.

Thank you all,
C.
pq

Re: India to China

Post by pq »

I'm not totally up to date with this, but I doubt it's possible.

Going via Nepal and up to Lhasa hasn't been possible for years unless you go with an organised group and in any case is a nightmare because you go straight up to 5000m. The Chinese really clamped down on independent cycling in Tibet after 2007 (when I last rode there), and stories from people like me who rode illegal routes and dodged checkpoints at night are all very entertaining but it's no longer possible to do. They'll catch you, fine you, confiscate your bikes and deport you.

The more easterly crossings aren't and never have been open to foreigners.

The usual route is to head into Pakistan and use the Karakoram Highway (which I've also done) but you're no longer allowed to ride a big chunk of the road on the Chinese side (The pass to Tashgorkhan) and it leaves you in western xinjiang which is extremely difficult to ride in independently and a very long way from where you want to be. To make things worse, the more interesting route - highway 217 (another one I rode a long time ago) is completely impossible now, leaving very dull, very long desert crossings. The other major problem with this route is that lowland Pakistan is very dangerous and I'd think twice about the earlier parts of the Karakoram Highway too, at least as far as Gilgit. When I rode through 22 years ago it was quite dangerous - and we rode past the compound in which Osama Bin Laden was later killed - this is serious stuff.

The only possibility, and here my knowledge is very sketchy, is to go via Bangladesh and Burma. Burma has been closed for overland travel for a very long time but is now opening up so it may be possible to figure out a doable route.

Your issue here is border crossings (most of which are closed to foreigners) and danger on the ground.

In your shoes, assuming that riding in high mountains is your goal, I'd go to Tajikistan. The visa is quite difficult but not impossible, and once you're there you can go more or less wherever you like - just a few easy-to-get permits for some places. It has some of the best remote mountain cycling anywhere.

Very few of my numerous trips to the region have been written up, but here's one for Tajikistan: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/standiet and another one for Tibet http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Occupiedterritories You might not want to read the Tibet one because almost the whole route is now impossible for foreigners.
One link to your website is enough. G
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The India to Burma border is now open and you can cross on a bike without any special permit, just a visa and that can be an evisa nowadays.

Lots of Burma is still closed to foreigners for security reasons, ie virtual civil war. You can't cross to China from Burma (maybe very unlikely on a bus, but officially this was stopped some time ago for foreigners). I've cycled to the border on the Chinese side and they weren't very friendly.

You can cross into Thailand from Burma, at a number of points. In fact I will be doing this in a couple of months.

From Thailand you can ride to Lao, visa at border and on to China at Mengla - visa in advance. Then it's up to Kunming. I've done this the other way, which is probably easier visa wise, ie easier to get Chinese visa if you have airticket, etc.

Your time of year not great for China, but do-able. Great for Burma and Thailand.

It's also pretty cold for the Indian mountains, but you could think about Nepal to India to Burma to Thailand as a one off trip. Add Thailand to Kunming as another.

I don't know much about the western areas.

For your planning, I would advise looking at visas and legal border crossings before you think too much about routes. Otherwise you could be wasting your time. The lonely planet thorn tree forum for each country is pretty good for independent travel visas. Here is an ongoing thread about Burma border https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/ ... t_22991819

As I said, I suggest you do some serious research, or just keep dreaming.
Conabike

Post by Conabike »

Thanks both for your replies. Pq - Tajikistan isn't on my to do list at the moment and I wouldn't enjoy Pakistan knowing people who would quite happily put a bullet in my skull could be around the next bend. (I'm sure vast majority of Pakistanis are wonderful, kind, hospitable people). Simon - thanks for info on Burma. FCO website shows where to go and where to avoid, hopefully the situation improves over the next 2 years before my departure! Travel not recommended to Manipur so could make this journey difficult for the risk averse... Thanks for the thorn tree recommendation I'll study that website at length.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Personally, I hardly ever read the FCO info. It is either too risk adverse or biased for political and/or diplomatic reasons. Up to date info from travellers on the ground is far better.

The last time I looked at in years was to confirm that SE Thailand was a no go area. This meant that my travel insurance would be void there (the only reason I checked it). Nonetheless, I spent 5 days cycling through the region. Not mad bravado, but it was on my route and I had info from others who travelled and cycled there.

My advice is to treat FCO info with caution.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The travel restrictions in Burma are almost all due to insurgency, etc. You will not be allowed to go there. Travel is tightly controlled and access only allowed with permits which are unlikely to be granted.

Unfortunately the situation is unlikely to improve over the next few years. Most of these conflicts have been going on since independence in 1948.