Around Ireland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MrsHJ

Re: Around Ireland

Post by MrsHJ »

mnichols wrote:Thanks. Food for thought. Two friends that i tour with both want to do Ireland. I prefer sunnier climes, but I'm outnumbered. Big list of possible tours for 2019. I usually do a couple, but might just be the one next year

I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed touring Ireland. It was a bit damp but lovely scenery, quiet roads, fab people, great food, good pubs. Very memorable.

The SAN Francisco to Zion park sounds’s fab too but you’ll presumably be thinking about cooler months? Something else I’ve been thinking about for USA west trips is avoiding late summer and autumn as that seems to be wild fire season.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

MrsHJ wrote:The SAN Francisco to Zion park sounds’s fab too but you’ll presumably be thinking about cooler months? Something else I’ve been thinking about for USA west trips is avoiding late summer and autumn as that seems to be wild fire season.

I cycled from Canada ( Vancouver) to Mexico (tbe border near San Diego) a couple of years ago at the end of September and early October. It was warm enough to get through the mountains and cool enough to get through Death Valley

We did have to change the route at the last minute to avoid the fires and still cycled through the embers of old fires. it was very memorable
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

It looks like the top to bottom of Ireland is now (much) more likely than not

It's evolved from a top to bottom to a lap starting and finishing in Belfast (for logistical reasons)

We're planning three longer days at the start from Belfast to Mizen Head (the bottom) of around 150 miles per day

and then a more leisurely route up the West Coast to Malin Head and back down to Belfast - circa 85 miles per day for 8 days

We have the route mapped up the West Coast from Mizen to Malin and back to Belfast, but does anyone have a route from Belfast to Mizen Head?