Pressure of arranging honeymoon - lets have your ideas...

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Isotonicake

Pressure of arranging honeymoon - lets have your ideas...

Post by Isotonicake »

My partner & I are getting married next year and one of my tasks is to come up with the plan for our honeymoon.

It will take place in July (wife to be is teacher so that's non-negotiable) and hopefully I will get 3 or 4 weeks off work. We are not sitting about on beach sort of folk, nor do we especially go for city breaks.

The last couple of years we have done Nantes to Dijon on the EV6 and Dijon to Montpellier down the Rhone which have been brilliant. As such thinking of more of the same, but with potentially occasional hotels (for free upgrades and a bit more comfort).

We are fairly fit, but prefer flatter tours to hilly ones - winching a heavy steel tourer with 4 panniers up a mountain in 35'c is not a huge amount of fun we've found.

I am looking for ideas where could be interesting European tour - the Eurovelo site has too much choice! What we are looking for is a route that is;
Fairly flat(ish)
Has good number of campsites along the way
Has good food options
Has interesting towns & villages
Good views
be easy enough to get to from Scotland

Typing all that out I realise I could actually probably just plot a route across any part of mainland Europe and optimise it to be as flat as reasonable - thus the overwhelming choice on eurovelo website!

So help me out plot an adventure we'll cherish the memories of for a long time!

Thanks

Overwhelmed of Scotland
Navrig

Re: Pressure of arranging honeymoon - lets have your ideas...

Post by Navrig »

Train to Plymouth (Glasgow direct with Criss Country), ferry to Santander and cycle from there?

Head East around the West End of the Pyrenees and the the south coast of France.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Elberadweg Dresden-Cuxhaven
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
One way air ticket and some parachutes................let your mates decide to where :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Isotonicake

Post by Isotonicake »

Navrig - that's what I started from, but the train Glasgow to Plymouth is £900 return cattle class, with a further £400 odd for the ferry. At that price, we'd be cheaper driving or getting a first class BA flight somewhere...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Much cheaper train and ferry tickets are available as described on other threads here

Best maybe to book just a few weeks before, not many months

Or just check the prices a couple of times a week, then a bot realises you are looking for a better price and offers it
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

Isotonicake wrote:Navrig - that's what I started from, but the train Glasgow to Plymouth is £900 return cattle class, with a further £400 odd for the ferry. At that price, we'd be cheaper driving or getting a first class BA flight somewhere...

Ouch! I am planning that route for a post retirement tour with the ultimate destination Athens!

I've just had a look on Trainline and you are right. I suspect that if you make it up of a bunch of legs it will be cheaper but that's a pain for bike booking.

Not sure how they can justify that sort of money. It would be cheaper to fly and throwaway the bike bags after you rebuild the bikes. Mental.
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

Just had another look but pricing from Dunbar (where I live) and then from Edinburgh. Both gave a £200+ cost altho Edinburgh went through London. The Dunbar route took me back to Edinburgh then to Birmingham and change there. So there are ways and means to get there much cheaper. Really stupid pricing structures tho.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Isotonicake wrote:Navrig - that's what I started from, but the train Glasgow to Plymouth is £900 return cattle class, with a further £400 odd for the ferry. At that price, we'd be cheaper driving or getting a first class BA flight somewhere...

Glasgow - Plymouth open return is £228.80 But not valid before 9:30am M-F.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Rhine cycleway? Or Danube? You can get there by flying to either end, or train and/or ferry to the continent?

There are various threads on both routes on here.

Both have various places to take a little detour for wine tasting, historic sites, or whatever else you might fancy.

Enjoy planning!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

So you want us to arrange your honey moon for free? :roll:

Cycle tour around Norfolk.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Danube?
Ireland?
Scottish isles?
Iceland?
Corsica / sardinia?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Isotonicake

Post by Isotonicake »

Not looking for anyone else to plan my honeymoon at all - the planning is a big part of the adventure after all. I was just looking for inspiration.

After an evening on cycle.travel we're now pondering flying to Florence, then going Bologna, Torino, Grenoble, nimes, Carcassonne, Bordeaux, Biarritz then home from Bilbao...

So much choice...
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

Isotonicake wrote:Not looking for anyone else to plan my honeymoon at all - the planning is a big part of the adventure after all. I was just looking for inspiration.

After an evening on cycle.travel we're now pondering flying to Florence, then going Bologna, Torino, Grenoble, nimes, Carcassonne, Bordeaux, Biarritz then home from Bilbao...

So much choice...
You are taking Brexit for granted!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-T800 using hovercraft full of eels.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You could include one or more ferry trips, there are a lot in the med, like a mini-cruise, Hull-Rotterdam is good, there are ferries to Spain too

The Faroe Isles are great for cycling apparently, lots of tunnels under the sea

Glad to help plan for you for free but I want to read about the trip afterwards :wink: