Cycle Europe to Kyrgyzstan - thoughts on my plan?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Philip041

Cycle Europe to Kyrgyzstan - thoughts on my plan?

Post by Philip041 »

Hi,

I am thinking about cycling from London to Kyrgyzstan next year (start in early March, go for 6 months) - does anyone have any recommended reading on: routes, visas, logistics, anything else?! I'm trying to avoid the inevitable Google rabbit hole...

I've done a number of cycle tours, mostly short ones in Europe and one across Canada and I've got most of the kit I'd want already. My rough idea is take fly to Vienna (from London), to save some time to use on places I will likely never go again. Then would cycle South through Croatia, Bosnia, Montengro, and Albania, probably staying inland. Then South to Athens and island hop across some Greek islands across to Turkish coast as close to Antalya as possible. I'd then cycle back up the coast North towards Istanbul as I've heard this is a lovely ride. In Istanbul I'd get a boat across the Black Sea to Batumi in Georgia (maybe need to go via Varna in Bulgaria?). I'd then cross Georgia and into Azerbaijan and aim to get a boat across from Baku to Aktau in Kazakhstan. There I understand that cycling across the desert sounds like a story for the grandkids but sucks so would get a train to Nukus in Uzbekhistan. From here I'd cycle to Samarkhand and then follow the Pamir highway in Tajikistan and then into Kyrgystan, ending in Bishkek. Originally I wanted to end in Kashgar but it looks like a faff and I don't want to miss Kyrgyzstan. From Bishkek I'd train across China and fly back from Hong Kong.

I'm looking around for up-to-date advice on these countries but also any feedback on the rough plan would be greatly appreciated. I'm travelling alone but would hope to meet people along the way once I arrived in Georgia as would feel a bit safer travelling with people. My main black spots in knowledge are: visas, how to fend off awful dogs, security in the stans, particularly around Wakhan corridor, staying healthy and getting medical supplies (I heard of people taking packs of antibiotics with them??).

Thanks!
pq

Re: Cycle Europe to Kyrgyzstan - thoughts on my plan?

Post by pq »

A few things.

I'd take the train to Austria rather than fly. I started a tour by taking a train to Villach, southern Austria and that worked well. I know nothing about riding out of Vienna, but I'd always go for a small place (like Villach). Write-up here: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/balkanised, including some stuff about the Balkans. With the train there's no need to dismantle your bike and you can just ride out of the station, although it will cost more.

There's a lot more to Tajikistan than the Pamir highway. If your bike will cope the best of it is off the main road, especially the Bartang Valley. In fact it's one of the best places I've ever ridden (and I've ridden in around 60 countries). The stuff I did is here: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/standiet In your shoes I'd devote quite a bit of time to riding there and I'd sacrifice time elsewhere to do it. There's a lot more off the beaten track stuff than I did - going back I'd want to go to Lake Zorkhul and some shorter loops Peter Gostelow did (his write-up is on CGOAB too.)

My Tajikistan ride also included Kyrgyzstan, I have to say not especially successfully. There's great riding to be had but you need to do your research and get well away from surfaced roads. Lake Song Kul would be on my list and I'd also want to avoid as much of the Osh/Bishkek road as possible (I rode all of it, some of it twice (!). Like Tajikistan it needs more time to get the best from it, but unlike Tajikistan, there are no decent maps so you need to research before you go. Traffic is rapidly increasing - I also rode in Kyrg in 1996 and there was nothing at all on the road - it was a real pleasure. Not the case at all when I last went and it will have got much worse since then.

I've never done it, well not much anyway, but do you really want to go all across China by train with your bike? It's hard to get tickets for trains and your bike will make it much harder. In your shoes I'd fly back from Bishkek and leave Hong Kong for another time and not bring your bike. That will free up more time for Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.

I've ridden through Kashgar twice. The Chinese are busy demolishing everything of interest so I doubt it's worth visiting now. It was amazing in 1996 when I first went, unrecognisable in 2007 on my second visit, and it is I imagine, just an identikit Chinese city now.

This could be a great trip but I think you're trying to cram too much into 6 months.
One link to your website is enough. G
simonhill

Re: Cycle Europe to Kyrgyzstan - thoughts on my plan?

Post by simonhill »

A very small side point. Unless things have changed in the last few years, you don't really take a bike on a train in China, you send it.

First buy your ticket, then go to baggage office. Fill in form, show ticket and wave bye bye to your bike. Do it a day or two before you leave and it should be waiting for you.

My tip: remove the pedals to stop the staff riding it in the station.

Lonely Planet thorn tree forum may be helpful for visa info and questions.