family cycling in the Netherlands

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
smile

family cycling in the Netherlands

Post by smile »

I usually organise our not very energetic cycling holidays alone - but I come seeking advice. I have a family of contented cyclists who have never properly cycle toured -2 parents and 2 kids aged 8 and 9 this year - so far 2 cycle holidays doing 150 miles in about 4 days - and random day trips at home usually less than 25 miles a day but up to 40 at a real push. the mother here, and I'm the least fit by miles. 15kph average without panniers. Cycle touring in the Netherlands seems to be a very carry your own baggage job. People very occasionally willing to courier your luggage for 60 pounds per 2 pieces for 40km. So going to risk a trailer, and the wrath of my family. the whole place seems quite cycle friendly but I'm someone that like to build in distraction to stop the "are we there yet" inevitability.

How does this sound for an itinerary
Edam, Enhuizen, Alkmaar, Haarlem, Leiden, Delft, Gouda and train to give the bikes bike in Edam - then 3 days doing Amsterdam and then Duinrell for my sins.

Totally open to anything but has to start in Amsterdam and end in Duinrell (Wasanaar) - end of June 2019 - likely 6-7 days cycling - not including Duinrell

Look forward to your wisdom
S
Cyril Haearn

Re: family cycling in the Netherlands

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I would try to stay in one or two places for the whole holiday so one may cycle without luggage. Finding a new place might be a nice surprise or an unpleasant one :?

One may cycle in different directions, no need to repeat routes. I like exploring a small area in more detail too

Plus One for Wassenaar, you could visit little Zwitserland too, Madurodam is great for children of all ages

Try searching these fora too, there is already quite a lot of useful info
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

smile wrote:
How does this sound for an itinerary
Edam, Enhuizen, Alkmaar, Haarlem, Leiden, Delft, Gouda and train to give the bikes bike in Edam - then 3 days doing Amsterdam and then Duinrell for my sins.

If this is supposed to be a cycling (emphasis cycling) holiday I'd say it's terrible. Sort of let's do greater London with cyclepaths. If you want to do all the highlights by the tourist board on bicycle it's probably fine ;)
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Are you set on the NL? I’m not sure it would be my first choice for a tour with kids (and I have toured there with one of my kids!). It has many wonderful features including the cycling infrastructure and chocolate sprinkles with breakfastbut the climate and especially the wind can be offputting for the juniors.we did our first family tour on the Nantes Brest canal but there are pluses and minuses for any destination. In terms of your tour choices we’ve cycled through some of them and everywhere in the NL is so well linked that I’m sure it will practical- I’d just make sure there is a variety-my son found cycling around Dutch dykes a bit monotonous.

The carrying stuff doesn’t have to be by trailer it could be by panniers with the kids carrying small front panniers on the rear of their bikes but if that works for you though no one in the Netherlands will bat an eye. In terms of getting some support there are a number of cycle touring companies that will do that if you wish it. I like to do my own thing and the kids basically put up with that but if you want some structure and support I could recommend flexitreks or freedom treks https://www.freedomtreks.co.uk https://flexitreks.com/cycling-holidays ... g-holidays . We travel with freedom treks sister ski company sometimes and a friend works with flexitreks and is just back from testing their Tuscany tour (on an e bike :0 !)
smile

Post by smile »

Thank you for the replies

My sons have insisted on a holiday,after the cycling holiday - and duinrell has been booked. So it looks like the netherlands and belgium are really my options. i was very tentative about posting on this forum as i am not a proper cyclist - my boys tell me that i should wear L plates. i just go on cycling holidays so my sons are occupied. husband is few hours at the weekend cyclist since childhood, but much less than he would like to be due to work, life etc.

So i'd be grateful for clarification of the following issues - I'm asking if this is route
1. is only affected by intermittent but not permanent strong headwinds
2 doesnt strike people here as silly or pointless or illogical
3. i personally dont mind how dull the cycling is - im just investigating a country by bike - not really cycling as people here seem to describe it - you might be right Marten about the tourist board on 2 wheels
4 is there a much better route which i'm missing as my head is now melted as there are too many options
5 probably need at least 40k between start and end of each day as exercise is the only way we all stay sane on holiday

Over packing is my family problem - ideally i would like to grind it out of them. However in addition my husband is worried about parking a trailer in a bike park in the netherlands, and also knows that asking the boys to carry panniers suggests that we will lose our bags from sheer forgetfulness. Any knowledge of parking a trailer in samll urban areas

I dont ask for much...do I?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You are a proper cyclist if you ride a bike!

I would stay at Duinrell and ride up and down the coast and enjoy the changing weather
Top Tip: search these fora, the info you need might already be present, ask again if you like too

Welcome on board
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I think you’re a cyclist. Bike, cycle.

The bits of your route that’s I’ve done are fine-I’ve circumnavigated the country more or less and then on a separate trip with my son cycled the zuiderzee loop. I’d stick to the populated areas to avoid too many lenthgy not doing much sections and the route you’ve outlined will probably do that. Obviously it’s always a fine balance of what works for your crowd, my son preferred the suburban cycling as he had more to look at. I like a bit of zen canal path ambling. My best tip is that wooded areas solve the wind problem so aim for some of the green bits in the map, as for the wind it shouldn’t be to bad in the summer but the closer you are to a large body of water and the more open the terrain ( the Dutch speciality) the worse it will be. It tend to come from the west I think.
hamster

Post by hamster »

MrsHJ wrote:I could recommend flexitreks or freedom treks https://www.freedomtreks.co.uk https://flexitreks.com/cycling-holidays ... g-holidays . We travel with freedom treks sister ski company sometimes and a friend works with flexitreks and is just back from testing their Tuscany tour (on an e bike :0 !)

We used Freedom Teks for a family bike + barge holiday in NL. You live on the barge which akes all your stuff, you ride and meet the barge at the end of the day. My wife and kids LOVED it!