Cameras on tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
backnotes

Re: Cameras on tour

Postby backnotes » 30 Nov 2018, 10:01am

I tend to carry a relatively cheap and cheerful Nikon Coolpix 310 (long-obsolete now), because it can take regular AA batteries you can get in any corner shop / garage and does away with carrying a dedicated charger, mains lead etc. I bought it in Argos in Wick in 2012, which I passed on the way from LE to JOG, after the dedicated charger for my Lumix had stopped working, just before the "money shots" at the end of the ride.

These days, a phone is probably as good as this camera, but if I was getting another cycle touring camera I would again look for something that doesn't depend on a mains charger.

PH

Postby PH » 30 Nov 2018, 10:10am

backnotes wrote: if I was getting another cycle touring camera I would again look for something that doesn't depend on a mains charger.

There's more choice these days than mains Vs AAs, my cameras are USB charged, I'm carrying at least one battery pack and as a back up an AA to USB pack.

backnotes

Postby backnotes » 30 Nov 2018, 10:40am

That's good news re. USB charging - best of both worlds. Thanks.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 30 Nov 2018, 1:32pm

backnotes wrote:I tend to carry a relatively cheap and cheerful Nikon Coolpix 310 (long-obsolete now), because it can take regular AA batteries you can get in any corner shop / garage and does away with carrying a dedicated charger, mains lead etc. I bought it in Argos in Wick in 2012, which I passed on the way from LE to JOG, after the dedicated charger for my Lumix had stopped working, just before the "money shots" at the end of the ride.

These days, a phone is probably as good as this camera, but if I was getting another cycle touring camera I would again look for something that doesn't depend on a mains charger.

My Coolpix B500 was largely chosen for that very reason - 4 x AA batteries available easily just about anywhere - I can get up to 400 pics on one set, on tour I can get through that in one day. Best rechargeables can manage about half that IME. It has Wifi, wide zoom and plenty of other features TBH I hardly use any of the stuff on it.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 30 Nov 2018, 3:14pm

I use a Fuji X100, as my best compromise between image quality, usability, and portability.

It's a fixed 35 mm (equiv) lens, but that means it doesn't have the sizable lens protrusion out the front that you get with otherwise small mirrorless cameras.
Back in film days, I'd previously found 35 mm a very good general purpose lens (Minox 35, Contax T3).

Generally, I carry it across my shoulders in its ever-ready case. If it rains, it goes in the saddlebag side pocket the waterproofs came out of.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 30 Nov 2018, 6:12pm

PH wrote:
backnotes wrote: if I was getting another cycle touring camera I would again look for something that doesn't depend on a mains charger.

There's more choice these days than mains Vs AAs, my cameras are USB charged, I'm carrying at least one battery pack and as a back up an AA to USB pack.

I use a small charger that is USB powered

Effectively makes any camera USB chargeable

1982john

Postby 1982john » 30 Nov 2018, 6:31pm

andrew_s wrote:I use a Fuji X100, as my best compromise between image quality, usability, and portability.

It's a fixed 35 mm (equiv) lens, but that means it doesn't have the sizable lens protrusion out the front that you get with otherwise small mirrorless cameras.
Back in film days, I'd previously found 35 mm a very good general purpose lens (Minox 35, Contax T3).

Generally, I carry it across my shoulders in its ever-ready case. If it rains, it goes in the saddlebag side pocket the waterproofs came out of.

I did like the look of that camera. For picture quality, to weight & bulk ratio it seemed unsurpassable.

I saw a video of someone who carried their Sony A7r on their back and it ended up damaging the back of the camera due to the sweat getting inside.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 30 Nov 2018, 7:50pm

1982john wrote:
andrew_s wrote:I use a Fuji X100, as my best compromise between image quality, usability, and portability.

I saw a video of someone who carried their Sony A7r on their back and it ended up damaging the back of the camera due to the sweat getting inside.

It lives in a case like this:
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/fuji-x100 ... n-1617678/
It does a good job of fending off sweat, light showers, and minor knocks such as swinging round and hitting the handlebar.

It stays put best if you pull it up your back between your shoulder blades.

dnrc

Postby dnrc » 30 Nov 2018, 10:14pm

someone mentioned the topend compact sony

i have the rxv-hx90v (or something like that)

has about 30 zooms and very compact, has been all over the place with me and gives great shots

can grab it in a back pocket, pushing the on button at the same time, by the time it's pointing the right way it's ready to go.

F70100

Postby F70100 » 1 Dec 2018, 12:04am

I quite like my Canon G15. It’s compact, has an effective 28-140mm range of focal length, manual control, and its battery can be charged via usb using a charger similar to the one above. Only available second hand now; mpb.com have a couple.

9A1819F9-19F3-4FD3-9593-AE726F8BA328.jpeg

12BCF209-A1AE-4F79-939B-4D5D61F94350.jpeg

32F270B0-2AA2-4C26-98CD-A562FD0D93B5.jpeg

8622B3A0-19CA-4834-8760-9BD4274D89E3.jpeg

32CBB26A-D929-423F-897D-85F651F6D5DF.jpeg

willem jongman

Postby willem jongman » 1 Dec 2018, 11:17am

My wife is into quite serious photography and also video on the move, so I bought her a Micro 4/3 system which she is very happy with.The smallest cameras in that system have become really small by now, and with two primes you can have excellent image quality on the go, just like I had on my minimal 35mm Nikon system with a 35 and an 85 mm lens. She mostly takes her 14-140 mm zoom, however, for the greater range and for her video. For my taste the biggest limitation of the system is that of the great depth of field of most images. It takes away an important part of the creative possibilities in low light.
For video audio she uses a small Olympus external digital recorder, which makes a big difference. Right now she still uses the recorder's own pretty decent microphones, but I plan on getting her a Sennheiser MKE external mic. Good audio really is half the story of good video. When the video part is more serious she uses a Gitzo carbon travel tripod, but we are sill hunting for the ideal tripod head that is both light, ultra smooth for video and capable of still portrait orientation photography. The only one that I know of is by Manfrotto but it is 1300 grams.
All in all this can get pretty bulky (and expensive), but it should be obvious that this is particularly true for the video part. Just take the camera and two small primes and you are fine for still photography on a lightweight cycle tour. Take a small zoom lens and a small digital audio recorder (even under 100 euro and only some 200 gams) and you can do quite a bit of video as well.
And for me? I prefer to take even less, so on my solo trips I take just my smartphone. But as photography that is not very satifying, given the standard wide angle lens, the small sensor's unlimited depth of field and the very limited low light quality. It really only serves for snapshots to remember where I was.

F70100

Postby F70100 » 1 Dec 2018, 12:04pm

willem jongman wrote:For my taste the biggest limitation of the system is that of the great depth of field of most images. It takes away an important part of the creative possibilities in low light.

Surely the lens is more likely to be wide open in low light, reducing the depth of field?

Either way, a reduced depth of field can be achieved with an M4/3. This taken with a Panasonic G80:

20171215-P1000601.jpg

This taken with the Canon G15 with its 1 inch sensor:

20151123-IMG_1640.jpg

willem jongman

Postby willem jongman » 1 Dec 2018, 1:21pm

Yes at close range this is possible, but in many other situations not. In 35 mm I used to photograph with fast Nikkor lenses, and that effect is hard to replicate or even approach. But then my wife's m4/3 camera and its lenses are massively lighter and smaller than my case with 35 mm Nikon gear. I only ever took the big Nikon once on a cycle tour, and used a Rollei 35 thereafter.

F70100

Postby F70100 » 1 Dec 2018, 5:28pm

1982john wrote:Any people who try to make short films about their tours?

Just wondering what lenses people would bring. Do they bring a separate HDD for uploading (which seems very bulky).

I've finally got round to editing and uploading the footage I shot whilst riding my Jogle in August/September.

I must admit that although I felt I should get the camera out more often, I also just wanted to enjoy the trip primarily just as a cycle trip. Maybe I'll shoot more footage next time I do it...

Carriage of gear wasn't such a big deal; I was supported by my wife driving our motorhome from one night-stop to the next. Top Bird she is! I only had to carry gear appropriate to each day.

In any case, I shot the movie stuff on a Chinese GoPro copy (a Gitup Git 2. Yes, really!). I had 5 batteries but 1 each day was enough. The 64gb card was just under half full at the end, still with about 2hrs 30 mins recording time left.

The finished ( I say that, it's a bit rough & ready) article is below. Links to each days route are in the description.

RickH

Postby RickH » 1 Dec 2018, 11:44pm

I must admit that, despite having a dSLR kit with lenses from 10mm to 500mm (700mm with a teleconverterl I tend to use my phone more these days. The quality is surprisingly good - similar pixel count, waterproof, fits easily in a pocket.

For video the new (only announced on November 28) DJI Osmo Pocket looks like an interesting device to kerp an eye on - proper 3-axis stabilisation in something that will literally fit in a pocket. I got a DJI Osmo mobile 2 a while back, that uses a phone as the recording device & have been pleased with early results.

If it wasn't for the eye-watering price (& the GB eating resolution) I'd love a Garmin Virb 360 - film in full 360 degrees & edit down to normal HD video afterwards with the excellent free software, enabling you to pan round to, say, the view at the side while you zoom down a mountain & then back to the road ahead without needing to do any camera juggling.