Cameras on tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
1982john

Re: Cameras on tour

Post by 1982john »

Thanks, F70100. Nice video. Certainly shows you don't need to spend £100s to capture the journey.

I'm moving towards a setup of a GoPro type action cam & mirrorless for photos. Ideally one with some weatherproofing.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

With regards to storage, there are a number of options.

I use an old iPad mini or an iPad for touring. If not on the bike I use an old MacBook Air

I then have one of these gadgets:

Each evening, I download the Camera to the iPad and then I have two 128 GB Micro SD Cards and back up from the iPad to both. One says in my wallet, the other in my "electronics bag" . When I get home, simply upload to your main system and back up to HDD

By backing up to two separate sources I am ensuring agains data loss and also theft.

At least I will have my photos!

Micro SD cards are cheap and you can carry however many, and whatever size or speed you like

The whole system gives me a technically limitless data storage and backup for the weight of a camera battery

Another option is a "Bridge" system:

These have the memory built in, which is a limitation (and expensive) 32GB in one of these will cost about £45

A reader and 256 Gb of data on micro SDcan be had for the same price.
Last edited by Cunobelin on 2 Dec 2018, 11:06am, edited 5 times in total.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

1982john wrote:Thanks, F70100. Nice video. Certainly shows you don't need to spend £100s to capture the journey.

I'm moving towards a setup of a GoPro type action cam & mirrorless for photos. Ideally one with some weatherproofing.

One of the reasons for the Pentax K70 was its seals and weatherproofing
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PH wrote:...
First decide the essential features, then the sensor size, then fixed or interchangeable lens.
The features are whatever you want, 4K and Wi-fi are fun but I'm not sure I'd put them on my essentials list....

And double check how those features are implemented. For example, the Sony RX-100m6 I’ve been extolling the virtues of has Wi-Fi BUT it is pretty useless as it will only commnicate with Sony’s own PlayMemories apps and will only transfer jpegs even if you shoot recording in raw format. Sony’s latest cameras have locked out 3rd party apps from access ro the SD card over Wi-Fi so whilst it “ticks the Wi-Fi box” it may easily not have the Wi-Fi functionality you are seeking.

Ian