Cameras on tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
1982john

Cameras on tour

Post by 1982john »

Next year I intend to make a better effort capturing and documenting my tours - both in terms of filming and photography. If only as something to show the grandkids. What's put me off doing this before - other than the high cost of camera equipment - is carrying all the gear. I'm wondering what solutions other people have tried.

The main options seem to be:

DSLR - great pictures but very heavy & bulky
Mirrorless - sacrifice some picture quality for less weight & bulk
Compact point & shoot - very easy to use but might struggle in low light conditions or when zooming required.
GoPro et el - very light and can do some fancy tricks but limited to very few types of shots. Not much flexibility
Smartphone - as above but more limited

For me, the mirrorless makes the most sense. Something like the Sony a6000 series. A great sensor and functionality though v expensive lenses. Combine this with a GoPro which can offer very easy to use filming for POV or slow motion.

Then there is the issue of storage. I'm wondering if I could convert an Altura handlebar bag, using some polystyrene, to hold a camera with a lens on as well as some bits and pieces. If I cut the exact shape needed it could fit in really snug. Would that be enough to protect from the constant road buzz?

I could use a dedicated sling bag but really not a fan of riding with backpacks. Another option is a pannier but then I wouldn't have it to hand which somewhat defeats the purpose.
Psamathe

Re: Cameras on tour

Post by Psamathe »

1982john wrote:Next year I intend to make a better effort capturing and documenting my tours - both in terms of filming and photography. If only as something to show the grandkids. What's put me off doing this before - other than the high cost of camera equipment - is carrying all the gear. I'm wondering what solutions other people have tried.

The main options seem to be:
Compact point & shoot - very easy to use but might struggle in low light conditions or when zooming required.
For me, the mirrorless makes the most sense. Something like the Sony a6000 series. A great sensor and functionality though v expensive lenses. Combine this with a GoPro which can offer very easy to use filming for POV or slow motion.

Then there is the issue of storage. I'm wondering if I could convert an Altura handlebar bag, using some polystyrene, to hold a camera with a lens on as well as some bits and pieces. If I cut the exact shape needed it could fit in really snug. Would that be enough to protect from the constant road buzz?

In the "fabulously expensive" category (confession from me here), have a look at the Sony RX100m6 (sometimes written as DSC-RX100 VI). Exceptionally small and light, incredible zoom range, 1" sensor (20 mega pixels), everything on camera you'd expect from top of the range (HDR, panorama, raw & jpeg, etc.), reviewed as being pretty excellent. Easy to carry - so small it took virtually no space in my bar bag and was ready the entire trip. BUT, think about re-mortgaging your house to pay for the thing!

The m6 version (the one with the far better zoom range) can also use your iOS or Android phone to GPS tag photos as they are taken (communicates over Bluetooth with your phone so when shutter pressed it asks phone for GPS and adds geolocation to the image.

Ian
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

When I'm by myself I carry a compact superzoom camera (Canon SX720). The picture quality is reasonable and it takes up virtually no room in my bar bag. Low light photograph isn't great but I'm usually so tired due to all the riding I'm rarely awake in the evenings anyway!

With my partner we bring along our Micro 43 Mirrorless camera (Olympus PEN EPL-7) with a single lens (usually the Panny 12-32mm). I don't really want to be faffing around changing lenses so the 12-32mm covers most of our needs, other than being able to zoom in close on things. This is quite a bit bulkier than the Canon compact camera but the picture quality makes it worthwhile.

All my cameras were bought as cheaply as possible, either refurbished, second hand or last years model. There are big saving this way and I prefer this approach as I don't feel like I have to treat the camera with as much care as if I'd bought it brand new.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Psamathe wrote:
In the "fabulously expensive" category (confession from me here), have a look at the Sony RX100m6 (sometimes written as DSC-RX100 VI). Exceptionally small and light, incredible zoom range, 1" sensor (20 mega pixels), everything on camera you'd expect from top of the range (HDR, panorama, raw & jpeg, etc.), reviewed as being pretty excellent. Easy to carry - so small it took virtually no space in my bar bag and was ready the entire trip. BUT, think about re-mortgaging your house to pay for the thing!

The m6 version (the one with the far better zoom range) can also use your iOS or Android phone to GPS tag photos as they are taken (communicates over Bluetooth with your phone so when shutter pressed it asks phone for GPS and adds geolocation to the image.

Ian

Thanks, that is no doubt an amazing piece of kit. The only downside when I looked into it was the lack of a mic jack. I don't know how much I'd need one but I wanted the option there. You can always have a dedicated audio somewhere else mind.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Depends on what I am actually doing.

My "Carry Camera" that goes everywhere is an Olympus Stylus 1s. Lots of features and a relatively small format. The big feature is a very versatile zoom lens.

MY next step is an Olympus Pen EPL8, Again a small profile camera, with lots of features and interchangeable lenses.

Finally is the "brute" an Pentax k70 which is a full DSLR and lots of waterproofing seals.

Have all served me well from cycle touring to Dog Sledding and ice caving in -25 Polar Night

I just choose the one most suitable for the trip I am doing
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

1982john wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Thanks, that is no doubt an amazing piece of kit. The only downside when I looked into it was the lack of a mic jack. I don't know how much I'd need one but I wanted the option there. You can always have a dedicated audio somewhere else mind.

It is (ignoring the lack mic jack) but good though it is it is overpriced but there is no real competitors (image quality/functionality wise). Not for everybody but it seemed to meet quite a few of your requirements. But one crucial missing feature does not make up for loads of other excellent ones (the "red-lines").

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How much does it cost please?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:How much does it cost please?

Think of a number with lots of zeros and no decimal points.

Real answer, almost £1200! There are cheaper RX100's (older versions which Sony still produces as they are cheaper and have more limited functionality). The important thing about the m5 (VI) is the zoom range and the geolocation tagging from smartphone - the cheaper versions don't have the zoom range nor bluetooth. https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sony-cyber-shot-rx100-vi-digital-camera-1664987/

Ian
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

My current do all camera is an inexpensive (under £300) Nikon Coolpix B500. On tour it rides in the bar bag, for the last couple of weeks it's been slumming it dropped in a pannier. It really does get abused but still takes pretty good pictures without the faf of changing lenses etc. In fact it's the latest in a string of similar Nikons and Olympus cameras -Kve had over the last dozen or so years - I have a habit of wearing them out, often taking 10k pictures a year.

I have a Panasonic compact that I sometimes take but to be honest what you get out is very inconsistent, especially in low light situations.

Camera phones can be useful for taking snaps to go direct to social media etc. Some take pics as good as many compacts.

I do have a fancier Olympus DSLR but to be honest I can't be bothered with the faf, I just want to turn on, point and click.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
honesty

Post by honesty »

I take a panasonic g5 mirrorless body and usually just stick in the 2 kit lenses that came with it and a polarising filter. Thinking of buying a better quality wide zoom for next time though. It goes in my barbag easily. I've done a few shorter rides with just my phone though...
PH

Post by PH »

1982john wrote:The main options seem to be:

DSLR - great pictures but very heavy & bulky
Mirrorless - sacrifice some picture quality for less weight & bulk
GoPro et el - very light and can do some fancy tricks but limited to very few types of shots. Not much flexibility
Smartphone - as above but more limited

First decide the essential features, then the sensor size, then fixed or interchangeable lens.
The features are whatever you want, 4K and Wi-fi are fun but I'm not sure I'd put them on my essentials list, though you might.
Sensor size is to a large extent what determines the cameras capabilities (Though it doesn't necessarily do much for the photographer) The Sony mirrorless have the same size sensor as the cropped DSLRs, that's great for capability, but there's an inescapable relationship between sensor size and lens size, by the time you've got a choice of lenses the kit isn't a lot smaller. Also don't be fooled by the aperture size, for the purpose of shutter speed and f number is the same whatever size the sensor, but in terms of depth of field it isn't. If your thing is pin sharp focus in a narrow plane and everything else out of focus, then there isn't an alternative to big sensors and fast lenses - well except getting a lot closer...
There's some great fixed lens cameras, the Panasonic LX100 shares the same size sensor as it's mirrorless system, but is smaller on account of the lens being fixed. If you can live with that, it's certainly a capable camera, as are some of the 1" sensor cameras, which I'd look at if fixed lens was for me.
I bought into the M 4/3 idea early on, I'm on my fourth body (two of which are still in regular use) but apart from the kit lenses that came with them the lenses I've bought are keepers. This IMO is why it's more important to choose the right system for you if going interchangeable, than the specific model. Bodies come and go, and prices fall through the floor when a new model with a must have feature is announced, but decent lenses always cost and it can make changing systems expensive.
In the end it's like any pastime, the kit is only a tiny part of it, no expense will turn anyone into a great photographer, for myself it sometimes allows me to get some photos I wouldn't otherwise, and it's fun
I also think such threads as these should contain an element of put up or shut up, so here's my Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/phbike/with/41156002205/

Ortlieb make a bar bag insert for camera kit, it fits some others, like my Vaude. I have a body with 5 axis stabilisation which is fantastic, but you can hear the bits rattling and it makes me nervous enough to usually cycle with the body that doesn't have it.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One may spend many thousands, carry several cameras with huge interchangeable lenses
Just like cycling :? n+1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
hamster

Post by hamster »

It's always a trade-off between weight/bulk versus image quality.

While years ago I used to tour with an SLR and two lenses, nowadays I generally pack a 10 year old Panasonic compact which is good enough, accepting the limitations described upthread. It sits neatly in a jersey pocket. My iPhone adds some extras like panoramas (I know I can do them from the compact camera in Photoshop, but rarely get round to it!)

PH's advice chimes with me - I'm on my 3rd Nikon SLR body, they still evolve fast as it's electronics - lenses change far slower. Decide early on which lens system you prefer.
Thanks for the recommendation of the Panasonic LX100 - it looks like an excellent compromise.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I use a Sony DSC-WX500. Smallish with good zoom. The usual problem is seeing the screen in bright sun.
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Any people who try to make short films about their tours?

Just wondering what lenses people would bring. Do they bring a separate HDD for uploading (which seems very bulky).