EV15 Rhine route with a dog

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Pipyork

EV15 Rhine route with a dog

Post by Pipyork »

Hi All, we're planning to do a few days of the Rhine route next summer, along with our dog in a trailer. I've looked at the Cicerone guide but I'd like to ask your advice & opinions on a few details please.
We'll be driving to the start, (not sure if that's Andermatt or Oberalppass), dropping my wife, the dog, the bikes & luggage off then me driving to Bregenz, leaving the car there & getting the train back to meet them.
Spend that night in Oberalppass, (we'd need dog friendly accommodation each night).
Keeping the days down to 3 hours cycling, as it's the dogs holiday too!, could mean the second night in LLanz.
Next day Llanz to Chur
Next day Chur to Buchs
Final day Buchs to Bregenz.

The first day seems pretty high & i'm concerned that the descent will be a bit steep & long for my Pinnacle Arkose with mech. disc brakes, loaded with a trailer, dog & luggage. What do you think?
Also,is the surface generally good or is the trailer going to get thrown around all day?
Considering the gradients, weight etc.. am i being too ambitious to cover the distances in about 3 hours per day?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Cyril Haearn

Re: EV15 Rhine route with a dog

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How big and heavy is the dog, what breed, name?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Pipyork

Post by Pipyork »

Well, she’s a spaniel & her hair is quite long at the moment so I guess that when dry she’s about 16kg. Of course, when wet she could be around 18kg.
I’d be willing to invest in a haircut just before the ride to bring her down to her racing weight if I thought it would give her a better chance of better enjoying the whole experience.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Yes, get her groomed beforehand. She is quite heavy, how far do you ride with her at home? I don't know about brakes but doubtless someone who does will comment soon
Pipyork

Post by Pipyork »

I just bought a kids trailer last weekend and modified it to create a rigid base for her to sit on. We did about 10 miles on Sunday and she settled well, so will start to increase the duration over the next few weeks to figure out how long is comfortable for her. By Christmas we should be able to make a loop to Castle Howard which has a couple of modest hills to test the brakes as well.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is she secured? Could she get excited and try to jump out?
Pipyork

Post by Pipyork »

No, I set up a lead which attaches to her chest harness at one end and the frame of the trailer at the other. It’s at the correct length to stop her from passing the threshold of the base but long enough to enable her to turn around and move around.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

An insight into touring with a dog. https://joglewithadogle.wordpress.com/
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info