Arran, Islay, Jura, Colonsay

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
John100

Arran, Islay, Jura, Colonsay

Post by John100 »

Would like to cycle these possibly next year.
Hooked on Cycling do a holiday, but I've heard mixed reports about them. I have several queries. Is it relatively easy to get ferries with your bike even in the holiday season ie or would I need to book in advance? As far as B&B goes I would book if I was going in the main holiday time, but outside of this could I just find somewhere as I went along? I can fix minor things on the bike but am not that mechanically talented so the idea of back up from an organised self guided trip is appealing, but it comes at a price. Is it relatively easy to get local bikes shops involved if needs be and do some operate an "emergency" service?
I would be using a Ridgeback Panorama with panniers. I have done 3 C2C - the first with Saddle Skeddadle and the other 2 self organised - a few years ago now. I did LEJOG in the very hot sun this year. Thanks for any thoughts in anticipation. :D
Oldjohnw

Re: Arran, Islay, Jura, Colonsay

Post by Oldjohnw »

Ferries are easy. In terms of recent visits I can only speak of Islay and Colonsay (not with a bike but with my cycling brain switched on). You are probably best doing these as part of a single trip. Colonsay has poor roads and very little B and B. There is one hotel. There is a hostel, mainly for cyclists. No chance of a cycle shop - there are shops in Oban, the main mainland port. Islay has better roads and more accommodation.

Wonderful places.

From memory Arran caters well for cyclists.
John
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I've never pre booked the ferry when travelling by bike but it may be best to enquire on some of the smaller ferries, or those with only one service per day.

With regards to emergencies, even in the highlands and islands you're never that far from civilisation, and its been my experience that if things go wrong the locals are more than willing to help, or to suggest someone else who can.

It's easy to overthink these things and end up taking a shed load of spare parts. Prevention is better than cure. Servicing the bike before a major tour is a good idea, and if you do it yourself it will boost your confidence for dealing with any emergencies. Pay particular attention to wheels and tyres and just carry a few spares parts. As a starting point I'd suggest:
In addition to a mobile phone and a credit card. One or two spare inner tubes, a puncture repair kit (including tyre boot) and a couple of spare cables. In addition a few cable ties and some duct tape can often be useful for all sorts of emergency repairs. I'm sure others will have other ideas.

As for accommodation, booking one or two days ahead might give more peace of mind, as would carrying a tent and a sleeping bag, for extra insurance if all else fails.

Take confidence from your C2C and LEJOG experiences, and enjoy.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I did this trip. We booked the ferries in advance but thats not really necessary. On arriving somewhere we booked the next nights accomodation i e just a day in advance. Just go….

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Two thoughts:
1, To avoid the worst of the midges I would try avoid going between mid May and mid September. They are worst in warm, calm, humid weather and obviously you are more exposed to them if camping.
2. This blogger seems to act as the unofficial bike mechanic on Islay:
http://www.thewashingmachinepost.net/
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Don’t worry just do it. I’ve been told the ferries are fine but accommodation might be better booked.
Building on from LEJOG how many mechanicals ? ... 2 punctures out of all those wheels and a cleat screw :oops:
Just go with walking shoes, flat pedals and keep your Amazon Prime live. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

I agree, just go.

I've been to Arran, Islay and Jura many many times - first over 20 years ago on bicycle, motorcycle and car (heaven help me !).

John.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Like others I've never had a problem with the Arran, Islay and Jura ferries. The Ardrossan ferry to Arran does caution against groups of cyclists but you'd be unlucky as they are frequent. Islay to Jura is a very short hop. Jura back to the mainland might need booking as there isn't much room (its a small private concern not CalMac and the bike was lashed to the rails on the back). Never been to Colonsay.... now that's an idea for next year!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If there’s any causeways involved carrying a lifebuoy could come in useful. :idea: :D :lol: :lol:

That’s an 'in' joke for those who don’t know John100 has a history with cyclists and water.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

geocycle wrote:Jura back to the mainland might need booking

I should say definitely, even if it's only a day or two ahead. There's always the chance that the ferry may not sail if there are no bookings, especially outside of the core holiday period.

Colonsay will require planning, and sticking to the plan.
Last year there were Wednesday and Saturday ferries from & to Islay giving 5-6 hours on Colonsay whilst the ferry went to Oban, and once a day short stop ferries from & to Oban on the other days.

There's a bike shop in Brodick, and one in Port Ellen. I've a memory of seeing a bike hire sign somewhere just north of Craighouse in 2009 (I didn't visit Jura last year - we were staying near Portnahaven, which would have made a fairly long return trip)
I wouldn't trust any of them for modern spares (eg replacement outboard BB bearings or disc pads), but they may be of assistance. They are likely to be run in conjunction with some other job, so it may be necessary to phone beforehand rather than just turn up at the door.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

If this is the first time you've toured on your own you may be more at ease if you have your accomodation booked in advance. You don't need to book ferries in advance but you can buy all of the ferry tickets at one time. Look for the Hopscotch that covers your intended ferries (same price as buying the individual tickets but an easier way to buy them).
If your bike is in good working order you shouldn't need to worry about major mechanicals.
What you're planning doesn't involve high mileage which for a first time alone is good because you can take your time and hopefully enjoy the scenery in a relaxed manner.
Unfortunately the thing you can't plan for is the weather.
I wouldn't rely on a repeat of your lejog weather. You have to take what you get. I've been blown to a standstill on Arran while watching cyclists effortlessly flying past in the opposite direction.
If you haven't done it already have a look at Streetview. I find it quite inspiring when I'm planning a route.
The things I like about touring on my own are the planning and the people I meet along the way. The islands are great for meeting like minded people.
Just go for this on your own. Before you know it you'll be planning your next trip.
Enjoy.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Gearoidmuar

Re: Life is what happens...

Post by Gearoidmuar »

when you're making other plans. Attributed to John Lennon.

I've done 87 bike tours and in them I've been on the Isle of Skye three times. Twice I've had a wheel rim split. Both were on the Isle of Skye near Portree and I got new rims on each occasion in the same shop!
You just can't legislate for every occurrence.

One remark about Scotland. Scotland doesn't have tons of accommodation, unlike Ireland. Booking ahead is sensible there.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

We didn't pre-book, but had various rover tickets.

We did Tarbet - Colonsay mid week. (Don't know if it still works) But mid-week there was a ferry that went to Islay then on to Colonsay and Oban, returning to Colonsay and Islay later in the day. You got to Colonsay at midday, and had 6 hours on the island (only 14 miles around) then got the 6pm ferry back to Islay. We then wild camped just up the road from the ferry and the following day got the Jura Ferry. for a day on on Jura.

Back to our wild camp for a night, then rode across Islay camped again and following day's ferry back to mainland. Any other ferries (at that time) meant you were on Colonsay for 2-3 days with not a lot to do but eat in the cafes and watch wildlife.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
John100

Post by John100 »

Thanks for your great replies. It is easy to over think this kind of thing. I guess I could walk round Colonsay as fast as I could cycle round! Yes there is a ferry a couple of days a week from Islay, I think, which would allow me to "do" it in a day. The LEJOG weather we had was great as we were camping , but a bit hot for cycling! Hopefully won't need the lifejacket - had a crash on the Lancaster canal, which sent the other guy into the canal! I'm aware of midges although we were very lucky really on LEJOG, with not that many although we did keep over to the east. The bike shop info is useful as well. Likely planning for September. Was going to be May June until another grandchild hatching was announced!
John100

Post by John100 »

Sorry Ellethiya - just seen your message. Interesting way of going the trip. Not in any rush so time out isn't a problem! Also quite keen on birds. The organised trip I've seen has a day on Arran, then based on Islay with a couple of days there, one on Jura and as you say a day trip to Colonsay. If the weather is good that would be too short, if it's throwing it down.......!