London to China. Access and Visa info please!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
rb982

London to China. Access and Visa info please!

Post by rb982 »

Hi Everyone,

We are two UK nationals planning a cycle trip from London to China and are after some experienced knowledge. We want to cycle through Europe to Turkey then on to Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikstan, Kyrgystan, possibly Kazakhstan and then in to China.
The first leg of the trip from London to Turkey seems pretty straightforward following eurovelo routes and no visa issues. From here on we don’t have much knowledge or experience.

From what I understand Georgia and Armenia seem straightforward with a UK passport only requiring a visa on arrival but info/confirmation of this would be great!?

Azerbaijan seems quite vague and the consulate website seems very confusing. Does anyone have any experience of overlanding here?

I have read on the UK Iran visa page that visas here need an invitation or a guided tour, but I have read that an invitation code purchased from iranianvisa.com or similar will suffice. Anybody have any experience of this recently? Ie success rate, procedure, timescales and costs etc?

From then on does anyone have any experience of obtaining access/visas in to Tukmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikstan, Kyrgystan, Kazakhstan and China? Does anyone have information such as overland access and obtaining advanced visas en-route or on arrival, and general info on success rate, costs and entry issues?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Ross.
simonhill

Re: London to China. Access and Visa info please!

Post by simonhill »

Given that getting the visas is the toughest part of this ride, you are asking a lot.

You don't say where you have looked, so we could be repeating what you have already looked at, nonetheless:

The Lonely Planet thorn tree forums for each country are usually good places for up to date info on visas;

crazyguonabike website will have journals by people doing the route;

horizonsunlimited is a website for overland motorcyclists which may have info.

Officially as a Brit you cannot enter Iran on your own, likewise for US citizens. I think I have heard of a Brit doing it, but not confirmed. Many other nationalities are OK, so check anyone's nationlity who is giving advice.

Also, most importantly for all of this, get dates from anyone giving advice. It's surprising how many will relate their experiences as if it was yesterday, when infact it was 10 years go.

Good luck.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I keep a constant look out for Iran visa information.
Nothing definite for UK passport holders for the previous 3 years.

But as has been mentioned, things change. So good luck.

The only definitely very recent access i can confirm positively is a single male businessman visiting Iran to buy carpets for his shop.
He goes yearly. And had no hassles and loves the folks he deals with.
When I asked about riding a bike across Iran he shook his head.
He hadn't tried it but indicated the political climate wasn't allowing that kind of activity.

Good luck.

I enjoyed the last part of your planned route, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan. In fact I'm going back next year.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Some friends are curently cycling UK - Indonesia, a similar route to your plan. Set off March 2018, now in Thailand.

https://www.polarsteps.com/jamieandmari ... ew-zealand - for gps tracked route plus posted photos

http://biketour.mariayoung.co.uk/follow-the-dot/ for an intermittant blog which makes for a good read.

The blog includes the waiting for the variable time table of the cross the Caspian Sea ferry (lots of info if you google this, worth checking...its a (big) river ferry boat, if the wrong wind blows, it drops anchor (to prevent capsizeing) until the wind moves/drops as happened to my friends).
Pamir Highway, they had no problems, googling this however showed theft (phone/laptops) by corrupt military check point soldiers.
Entering one of the Stans they had online/phone visas, no phone signal at the border....no visa.... they got sorted out by a young Russian chap waiting at the border who was able to read ceryllic online forms and speak to someone in an office somewhere using I think a different phone.
They got their Chinese visa in one of the "Stans" enroute.
They went into China via Xinjiang - read the "frustrations in China" blog, due to the "secruity situation" (or repression of the local muslim population.. search BBC news sites if you don't know about this), the police were quite officious/obstructive, but always polite, in trying to stop them cycling/camping (which are legal in China I think). They gave up and took the bus/train for a fair distance.
Once out of Xinjiang, they had no police problems what so ever.
No experience or Iran, only what I have heard.
Iran used to give (along time ago) visas only for 7 days or so, not enough to cycle through. I think Iran is a bit dodgy for the risk of trumped up charges for political leverage, the fact you are innocent has no bearing on these things. Iranian people very friendly though.

Enjoy it when you go!
rb982

Post by rb982 »

Wow guys thank you so much for all the info!

Thanks Simon, I have looked on crazyguyonabike and used it alot in the past, some good info here but often dated.

Thanks Matt! And thanks PT for some really useful/interesting info. I am about to get stuck in to the links provided.

Since posting I have read more and it seems as though Iran may indeed be a no go, but I will try and get an invitation code from an agency and hope for the best. I have also read about crossing the Caspian on this ferry to get to Turkmenistan, sounds like an experience and one that may have to be taken.

Thanks again for your info everyone, much appreciated!!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Just to complete the circle, here is a link to a very full reply to the above question on the Lonely Planet site
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/ ... t_23007294

It's interesting that despite the route to China and beyond via the Stans being very popular with cyclists, very few of them are regulars on the cycle forums. I wonder if the nature of this trip favours one off adventurers who decide to cycle the route. Once they've done their 'trip of a lifetime' they hang up their bikes and get on with their lives, never returning to touring or cycle forums.
rb982

Post by rb982 »

Thanks for that Simon! Oh I hope that's not true. This at least will be our second big cycle tour with no plans on stopping there! :D
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

simonhill wrote:Just to complete the circle, here is a link to a very full reply to the above question on the Lonely Planet site
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/ ... t_23007294

It's interesting that despite the route to China and beyond via the Stans being very popular with cyclists, very few of them are regulars on the cycle forums. I wonder if the nature of this trip favours one off adventurers who decide to cycle the route. Once they've done their 'trip of a lifetime' they hang up their bikes and get on with their lives, never returning to touring or cycle forums.

Interesting point.
I did not do the whole UK to China route. Just the Pamir Highway section. (Yes, I'm a softy ).
I I then went on to your regularly abroad.
I was well and truly bitten by the tour bug.
Never looked back.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
doodah

Post by doodah »

Hi,

Try this link for up to date info.
https://caravanistan.com/

Hope it helps.

Doodah
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

doodah wrote:Hi,

Try this link for up to date info.
https://caravanistan.com/

Hope it helps.

Doodah

This is a great link. The site was down a few months ago.
They really know their stuff.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
rb982

Post by rb982 »

Hi All,

So we are currently on our journey from London to China by bicycle and are in Baku in Azerbaijan. We are taking a ferry across the Caspian Sea to Aktau in Kazakhzstan and then cycling around to Uzbekistan, Tajikistsan and Kyrgyzstan before crossing over in to China (maybe heading East at Sary Tash towards Kashgar, or up to Bishkek and then south again crossing at Chatyr Kol). We are looking for advice on this crossing in to China and what to do next....

Our options are; cycle east across China towards Beijing (we have 90 day visas), cycle south east round Tibet towards South East Asia (toured SEA before so don't really want to do it again) or Hong Kong, or pay a very expensive guide to drive with us as we cycle through Tibet towards Nepal and/or India. The Karakoram highway through Pakistan was an option but it sounds a bit too dodgy for our liking. We would like to get some advice on routes please everyone!

Thanks!

Ross
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Firstly, I'm not sure cycling in Tibet is possible at all. Maybe things have changed. Certainly the days of riding down to Kathmandu are over.

Wherever cycling in China, check the weather. It gets very hot in central China, but by Oct it starts to cool down rapidly.

I haven't been to Beijing since it became a big modern mega city, but can't imagine it would be very pleasant to cycle throgh, not least because of the pollution. Likewise much of the Eastern seaboard is heavily industrialised and polluted.

I've cycled a fair bit in Southern China and loved it. Much less Han and more minority peoples. Also less industrial and some wonderful scenery plus some big mountains. The weather good in autumn after rainy season.

Personally I wouldn't discount SE Asia, just because you have been there before. I've toured in the area for years and still find new things. Also, after the rigours of the Central Asian roads, SE Asian food, accom, people, roads, etc may be a welcome relief.

One thing you may be interested in is heading to Thailand then crossing into Burma at Mae Sot. You can the cycle across Burma into India. Then you could have a very interesting winter cycling around the truly wonderful India.

Whatever, enjoy.
willswitchengage

Post by willswitchengage »

Turkmenistan - went last year.

You can get a transit visa by asking nicely from an embassy, the one in Istanbul I understand is good. Azerbaijan probably good too. However it's only 4/5 days so probably not practical. The only other method is guided tour, where you can get a couple of weeks I think. Cyclists do do this! We had a tour guide up there and in the past he really has followed cyclists across the country in his land cruiser.

Kazakh and Kyrgyz - visa on arrival.

Tajik - e visa which has a funny emoji on the print out.

Iran - if you apply, be very careful with what you put on your application. We were asked for a colossal amount of info and mine was rejected - presumably because they clocked I had a government job.

I'd avoid Mongolia if possible, I generally just found it a [inappropriate word removed] country and the locals were very hostile.
willswitchengage

Post by willswitchengage »

Incidentally, how did you get your Chinese visas for independent travel? I'm planning a visit next year and nobody I know has experience of this.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

willswitchengage wrote:Kazakh and Kyrgyz - visa on arrival..

You just roll up at the border and ask for one?
sounds very civilised.
Apologies if I am being dim.
Sweep