"What you bring on your ride needs to go home with you."

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pwa

Re: "What you bring on your ride needs to go home with you."

Post by pwa »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Until they fall on you!

My local media station seem to delight in promoting horse riders Recuperating from broken backs and pelvis injuries.

One of the activities that is definitely more dangerous than cycling.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Sorry bryn, dogs bark, ducks quack.
As long as the owner has the dog under control, nothing to complain about.
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sweep wrote:Sorry bryn, dogs bark, ducks quack.

Often the dog has the owner under control

What if it barks at an elderly frail person who then has a heart attack and then dies?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
sjs

Post by sjs »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Sweep wrote:Sorry bryn, dogs bark, ducks quack.

Often the dog has the owner under control

What if it barks at an elderly frail person who then has a heart attack and then dies?

We seem to have got into a loop.
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

NUKe wrote:
durhambiker wrote:
NUKe wrote:Someone mentioned bagged dog waste in trees.i occasionally do this, like many other dog owners. The idea is we can pick it up on the return journey.hangung it up keeps it off the ground. If we have gone the trouble to pick it up, it unlikely we would then just discard it as litter. some might though.

You cannotpossibly,,,ever,,be for real...So,you fling it 10ft up a tree,,(so no one steps in it,of course,,thankyou)...then you return,with a pair of steps,,collect the package and place it in the bin!!!Yeah,,,Right.

No I don’t fling it up a tree, I wouldn’t be able to reach it, I hang it on low branch slightly out of the way so I can pick it up on the way back.

How about you engage brain and take it home,not leaving it for later
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I always do my business when I get up in the morning, could dogs be trained to do theirs at home? Surely it could be flushed down the toilet too
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

Being alive is an inherently risky business, and you can't legislate for every potential hazard. Personally I'm not a dog lover – especially after being brought off my bike by one last year, and needing five stitches – but some people are, and we have to live and let live. When I'm so old and frail that I might die from being barked at, I'll either stay at home, or accept death with equanimity.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

When I'm so old and frail that I might die from being barked at, I'll either stay at home, or accept death with equanimity.

And what kind if a sick society would that be, where the elderly can't venture out because some people fail to control their pet? East next? Compulsory euthanasia?
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

Oldjohnw wrote:
When I'm so old and frail that I might die from being barked at, I'll either stay at home, or accept death with equanimity.

And what kind if a sick society would that be, where the elderly can't venture out because some people fail to control their pet? East next? Compulsory euthanasia?

I would hazard a guess that the number of elderly people whose lives are extended and made more pleasurable by having a dog exceeds the number barked to death by a considerable margin. Are you two for real or just a wind-up? :lol:
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Oldjohnw wrote:

TROLL !
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Especially for elderly people a very small harmless dog would be an appropriate ESA emotional support animal :wink:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Oldjohnw wrote:

This thread is getting, er, barking mad.

I thought we were talking about dogs barking etc.

Enjoy:

(life)

caution - contains grunts and howls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyVDUVJvDlM

+ 1 to nirak's post above.
Last edited by Sweep on 4 Jan 2019, 10:29am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:

With pet ownship comes responsibilty,some pet owners are completely devoid of that realisation.
IMO all dogs should be compulsoryily micro chipped and traceable back to the owner,if the owner is irresponsible then the to animal should be removed from them and s/he banned from keeping a doge until able to prove otherwise,all costs borne by the owner.
The problem is anyone can go out and buy a dog and treat it in anyway they choose without much if any comebacks due to a total lack of traceability or policing of such animals and their owners.
True animal lovers would welcome laws that allow traceability and responsibilty of dog owners which is sadly lacking in morden day UK.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

TROLL !

How so?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Debs

Post by Debs »

reohn2 wrote:With pet ownship comes responsibilty,some pet owners are completely devoid of that realisation.
IMO all dogs should be compulsoryily micro chipped and traceable back to the owner,if the owner is irresponsible then the to animal should be removed from them and s/he banned from keeping a doge until able to prove otherwise,all costs borne by the owner.
The problem is anyone can go out and buy a dog and treat it in anyway they choose without much if any comebacks due to a total lack of traceability or policing of such animals and their owners.
True animal lovers would welcome laws that allow traceability and responsibilty of dog owners which is sadly lacking in morden day UK.

I agree with this ^ but would go further to bring in a new kind of dog licensing - with the difference that a £100 per year per dog licence fee to register also qualifies the pet for subsidised veterinary health care, free annual check up, vaccinations for free, other treatments heavily subsidised and no VAT. This would lead to more responsible pet ownership and better health care for all dogs, and help lower cases of neglect and cruelty.

I would welcome this kind of pet licence reform for cat ownership too, pay for a ID micro chip plus a £50 licence fee per cat per year, then qualify for a free annual vet check-up, free vaccinations, [free neutering for cats] and subsidised flea/worm control, subsidised operation costs, and exclusive of VAT.
With cats it may need to be a voluntary scheme, and compulsory with dogs.

The scandal of ridiculously high rip-off veterinary costs, and what to do about it is possible a good starter for another thread :wink: