"What you bring on your ride needs to go home with you."

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cyril Haearn

Re: "What you bring on your ride needs to go home with you."

Post by Cyril Haearn »

londoncommuter0000 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Dog sausages are ubiquitous, do dogs and their keepers expect everyone to constantly look at the ground? That soft sliding underfoot when one treads in one.. :(

I think there are far too many dogs. And cats
My ESA emotional support animal is a teddy I got for free many years ago

We have four cats, and none of them have ever done a 'cat sausage' outside, nor have they ever harmed a bird/squirrel/vole etc.

No provable, or do you never let them out, why so many?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Debs wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:My ESA emotional support animal is a teddy I got for free many years ago

Does it poop in the woods? :D

No-one knows what Teddies get up to after midnight :wink:
She is 15 cm high, wears a hi-vis vest, ladies underwear and a Santa suit all at once
A little girl gave me her nearly 30 years ago, not many pets live that long :wink:
Debs

Post by Debs »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Dog sausages are ubiquitous, do dogs and their keepers expect everyone to constantly look at the ground? That soft sliding underfoot when one treads in one.. :(

We have four cats, and none of them have ever done a 'cat sausage' outside, nor have they ever harmed a bird/squirrel/vole etc.

Four cats are needed for a quartet :)

whoof

Post by whoof »

Far better for the environment to have a cat or dog than a child.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

whoof wrote:

Less use of resources, you mean? My Ted uses no resources, she is a great comfort
Bet I am not the only one here who prefers children to animals, right?
whoof

Post by whoof »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
whoof wrote:

Less use of resources, you mean? My Ted uses no resources, she is a great comfort
Bet I am not the only one here who prefers children to animals, right?

I've no idea but I do know that in general most people prefer cars to bicycles.
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

No, we never let them out, for the reasons cited above. Why so many? Why not?
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:No-one knows what Teddies get up to after midnight :wink:
She is 15 cm high, wears a hi-vis vest, ladies underwear and a Santa suit all at once
A little girl gave me her nearly 30 years ago, not many pets live that long :wink:

Synthetic fur, polluting the world with microfibres? No animal is innocent, not even many toys! ;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Bet I am not the only one here who prefers children to animals, right?

The big fat silence that followed that says something :lol:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Are they a breed that’s bred for that type of environment or do you have no qualms about keeping animals in an unnatural environment.
Personally I couldn’t live with what you do I might also add I can’t and won’t visit Zoos.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
londoncommuter0000

Paulatic wrote:

Are they a breed that’s bred for that type of environment or do you have no qualms about keeping animals in an unnatural environment.
Personally I couldn’t live with what you do I might also add I can’t and won’t visit Zoos.

[edited by me, to remove the harsh words]

In an ideal world, no human would 'keep' an animal as a 'pet'.

But this isn't an ideal world, and animals are all too often mistreated and considered as 'objects' for food, or for amusement.

If we did not have these cats, they may well already have been dead. Or alive and subject to abuse.

There is no reliable evidence that being inside harms these animals.

One of them is blind, one has a heart murmur. One was savagely beaten in her previous home (she has some teeth missing after having been punched repeatedly in the face) and has psychological issues as such. The fourth lived the first three years of her life in an upturned sofa in a tiny box room, being fed human food. She had never been taken to a vet and was repeatedly impregnated by the male cat who was in the house.

Believe me - these animals are cosseted and treated with love and respect. They are sheltered, given good food, fresh water, and are taken to the vet at considerable expense, should we notice something wrong with them. We have not adopted cats who are specifically bred for that kind of environment, but rather adopted older cats whose health dictates they remain inside (as per vet instruction). To see them strut around the house, tail held high, happily jumping up on the sofa to head butt me or my wife, or rolling around on the floor, 'hunting' a toy, is a source of immense joy.

And the bonus to all of this is that wildlife doesn't get butchered in our back garden or beyond.

Note that my wife and I are strict vegans. We do not visit zoos. We do not use animal products at all. If we travel anywhere, animal welfare is the first consideration when deciding whether to visit an attraction, or eat a certain food.
Last edited by londoncommuter0000 on 18 Jan 2019, 2:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
London is a cesspit
whoof

Post by whoof »

Paulatic wrote:

Please see link below from Cats Home regarding indoor cats.

https://www.bathcatsanddogshome.org.uk/ ... oor_homes/
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

londoncommuter0000 wrote: About cats

Reading that I believe your cats are extremely lucky to be with you. As you say in many other circumstances they would be dead.
My only experience of cats are in rural settings. One of the joys of hand milking a couple of house cows would be surrounded by purring cats waiting for you to finish, stand up and pour some milk into their bowls.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
londoncommuter0000

Paulatic wrote:
londoncommuter0000 wrote: About cats

Reading that I believe your cats are extremely lucky to be with you. As you say in many other circumstances they would be dead.
My only experience of cats are in rural settings. One of the joys of hand milking a couple of house cows would be surrounded by purring cats waiting for you to finish, stand up and pour some milk into their bowls.

Thank you for your kind words. I am not pretentious enough to say that they are 'lucky' with us, but we try to do right by them. It burns my heart when I think of what was done to the little ginger who was beaten, as I mentioned previously. When she first came to us, we isolated her until we could be sure that she was not carrying FIV or anything else that could potentially harm our existing brood of three. When it came time to get her to the vet in a carrier, she was so petrified of humans that she defecated on the floor.

Now, two years later, she is still the most skittish of our four, but what progress! We wake every morning to her sitting on top of us (usually on top of my wife, who devoted hours and hours to her, often just sitting next to her quietly, letting her come out when she felt safe), rubbing her face against ours and purring. When we go upstairs to bed, she will jump on the bed and roll over, exposing her stomach to us. She's still a bit of a psycho, but we love her playfulness.

Sorry, I get quite angry - and emotional! - when I think of what she endured. I just hope that now, she knows that never again will a hand reach out to strike her. I will die - or kill - before I will let that happen.

But this is now getting far off topic!
--
London is a cesspit
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Paulatic wrote:

I am against zoos too, but I plan to visit one soon to form an opinion, I am interested in things I am not interested in :wink: