Hadrian's Cycleway transport?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
AndrewTR

Hadrian's Cycleway transport?

Post by AndrewTR »

I'm hoping to do the Hadrians Cycleway this year. My main problem in planning it at the moment is getting back to the start after completing the route. Northern Rail apparently dont reserve bike places on their trains which makes transport rather problematical. They also only have two bike spaces per train.
Has anyone else had this problem
Thanks for any advice

Andrew
RickH

Re: Hadrian's Cycleway transport?

Post by RickH »

AndrewTR wrote:I'm hoping to do the Hadrians Cycleway this year. My main problem in planning it at the moment is getting back to the start after completing the route. Northern Rail apparently dont reserve bike places on their trains which makes transport rather problematical. They also only have two bike spaces per train.
Has anyone else had this problem
Thanks for any advice

Andrew

I've not known Northern to refuse any bikes up to now the staff have always been quite laid back about bikes, although I haven't been on that particular service. I've been on trains with nominally 2 bikes spaces where there have been 6 or more other bikes.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
jehughes7

Post by jehughes7 »

Ditto with Northern rail and bikes. When they actually manage to run a train they are quite relaxed about bikes and numbers outside peak times.
oldun

Post by oldun »

Andrew tr.....i cycled this route 2 years ago and to get back to Carlisle we just turned up at Newcastle station , waited on the correct platform and when the train arrived just queued up with 5 other cyclists who all got on , in fact another 2 cyclists got on at the next station , so don't worry about the 2 bike rule .
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I'm planning this route in April or May. To avoid the difficulties of LNER I'm cycling from home in the north of the county to Hexham where I understand I can just pick up the train. I am cycling west to east.
John
John100

Post by John100 »

Did this a few years ago. Left car at B&B in Ravensglass. Got train back to Carlisle no problem. Changed at Carlisle where there were a few bikes waiting for the same train. All of us got on except one, who wasn't too pleased!
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

The other thing about Northern Rail is they are still striking on selected days. I assume coach replacements won't cater for bikes.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

It takes one and a half days to cycle from Newcastle back to Whitehaven or similar location so instead of spending the next morning on a train just add one day to your itinerary and cycle back. (Newcastle to carlisle = 1 day. overnight in Carlisle (travel lodge) , then Carlisle to the coast the next morning.) You then have the afternoon to get home.
pal

Post by pal »

bogmyrtle wrote:The other thing about Northern Rail is they are still striking on selected days. I assume coach replacements won't cater for bikes.

This is a good point. All the strikes so far have been on Saturdays, though, so I think you should be safe as long as you plan for your return trip to be on another day of the week. (Bogmyrtle's quite right that the replacement buses -- if they exist at all -- don't take bikes).

Otherwise, my experience with bikes on Northern is the same as others have reported: they are very laid back, and if there's physical space for your bike then you'll be able to take it. (The only possible issue would be if you were travelling at a very peak time; even then, you'd probably be ok, since you'll be getting on at the start of the line). I think that line still runs Pacers, too, so you can enjoy a Vintage Railway Experience at no extra cost! (Bring an umbrella for when it rains inside the carriage...)