IN FEB: Wick > John o' Groats > NCN1 > Inverness ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
radek

IN FEB: Wick > John o' Groats > NCN1 > Inverness ?

Post by radek »

Hello,

Hope that all of you are well and that the miles are running!

Wife and daughter are going to be away to see family, which offers an opportunity for escaping for few days !!!

I am planing a short tour starting from Wick through John o' Groats then along the NCN1 to Inverness. On 14th Feb, I am taking a train from Edinburgh to Wick where I will stay overnight. I am not sure yet if on the first day I am going to wild camp or rent a Air BnB. The train arrives after 6pm, hence I may take the second option. I have also tough about cycling for 2 hours during the night, but I really do not like looking for a camping spot when it is dark, but then this could be quite exciting :) Then, I ill be left with 4 days to cycle to Inverness where on the 18th Feb I am planning to jump a train back to Edinburgh. I will wild camping throughout the trip.

I am wondering, is 4 days enough for completing this mini tour without rushing too much ? On the 19th Feb I need to be back in work...

Best,
Radek
rualexander

Re: IN FEB: Wick > John o' Groats > NCN1 > Inverness ?

Post by rualexander »

Mid february in Caithness and Sutherland, weather could be pretty wild.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Wick - JOG - North Coast - Thurso - Dounreay - Tongue - Turn left - Altnahara - Lairg - Bonar Bridge - A9 - Inverness.
I did this route a few years ago, last week of February ,, the snow gates where closed across Altnahara but we rode on to Crask Inn then Lairg the following day....
Ideal 4 - day trip. But you have to dress for the summit of the Ben, and cycle accordingly ... !
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Keep an eye on the weather forecast
Good cycling weather is surely possible, but no-one knows yet :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
radek

Post by radek »

Keep an eye on the weather forecast
Good cycling weather is surely possible, but no-one knows yet

Ideal 4 - day trip. But you have to dress for the summit of the Ben, and cycle accordingly ... !

Well lucky me :) It was really warm ! I did rain, but just occasionally. i did this in 4 days, but I think that 5 days would give me more time to enjoy the views, but this is due to headwind that I had from Altnaharra to Invernes and I was under pressure to get back to work...

I have not meet any other bike tourists. Locals in the Sea View hotel bar told me that hundreds of bicycle tourists visit John o Groats during warmer months. They said the same thing in Melvich pub. Local people were lovely as was the whisky from Wick :) One night I slept next to Loch Loyal - beautiful. Past Lairg the traffic got nervous and people were speeding crazy on those small country roads... some drivers have no manners!

Overall, this is a lovely part of Scotland :)