walking shoes for cycling touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
birkhead

walking shoes for cycling touring

Postby birkhead » 11 Jan 2019, 4:48pm

I use cycling shoes with spd for cycling. I would like to upgrade my off-bike shoes. Hitherto I have used Jinga shoes [300g], which are excellent for
    weight,
    volume,
    ethically sound;
not so good on protection from gravel and other lumps, and also rather too good at picking up tar and other less salubrious elements that seem to litter the continental pavements.
I would use sandals, but not with a thong between the toes, and the lightweight ones I have seen have only been in womens sizes.
I use Crocs at home a lot [280g], so a variety of those would seem good, either as a sandal or as a shoe, but they would need to be flat fold.
I wonder what the current thinking is on shoes for this purpose?
This is for use in France [if we are allowed in], staying in B&B/hotel, in summer.

andrew_s

Re: walking shoes for cycling touring

Postby andrew_s » 11 Jan 2019, 10:05pm

I solved the off-bike shoe issue by not taking any (0 g), riding in SPD sandals, and using the same sandals for evening wear.

MrsHJ

Postby MrsHJ » 11 Jan 2019, 10:29pm

I use merrell walking sandals. Actually I think the latest incarnation are Ecco but still no thongs. I do find them a touch bulky but very comfortable to walk good distances in. I do fancy some cycling sandals (with seal skinz socks for wet weather). I’m not sure I’d want to walk distances still even with a recessed cleat though.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 12 Jan 2019, 7:56am

birkhead wrote:.
I use Crocs at home a lot [280g], so a variety of those would seem good, either as a sandal or as a shoe, but they would need to be flat fold.
Ir.

Or maybe, lateral thinking, a flat pedal. :D

http://ultralightcycling.blogspot.com/

I’ve cycled in Crocs, when I had some, and found them very good.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life RIP Hannah Hauxwell

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

dnrc

Postby dnrc » 12 Jan 2019, 2:28pm

im in the one pair of shoes camp

maybe you could look for a nice pair suitable for on and off the bike

I have just last week bought the shimano XC5 and the TR5 both of which i could happily wear all the time, they're light and comfortable and look pretty smart too.

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 12 Jan 2019, 2:52pm

I tour mainly in the tropics and I use sandals. They are also my normal summer shoe in the UK. They are trekking style, but much lighter than the expensive heavy duty ones. Still robust enough to last more than a year of almost daily use.

I can walk in them all day on a variety of surfaces, but obviously a bit limited in long grass.

I like them because they let my feet breath after a day in cycling shoes.

Main drawback is they are a bit bulky, but less than a pair of trainers.